DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disappointed with the range

davedrone 178

Reactions
Really disappointed with the range of my new Mav 3 Classic. Thought I would get comparable range compared to my Mini 3 and Autel Evo Lite Plus...it's just not there. She came with the RC controller but we know the range sucks with that. (it did), so switched to a RC-N1. Back-to-back tests with against my Evo Lite+, same route, height, smart phone and just a few minutes apart. Evo flew about 4,000 feet farther with no break up in the signal until it lost connection. The Classic had major breakup with the signal during much of the flight. Threw up the Mini 3 Pro after that and she had better range also with a lot less breakup. On a 70" screen, the Evo shows a slightly better picture too. Ordered the RC Pro to see if that helps. I want to love this drone. Any thought?

Your post has no actionable content. What distance are you flying? What is the flight environment? How high are you flying while flying out?

I'm going on a year with my Mavic 3 and have had zero range issues and zero disconnects. Granted I have no desire to ever see my investment lost so the max out I've ever flown is a mile from a high vantage point pretty much straight out.

You can't compare the range of the Evo Lite and Dji. I also have the Mavic 3( not classic) and RC Pro and even with the FCC hack on the RC Pro my Evo 2 V3 gives me 2km more than the Mavic 3. Dji's advertised range is to be taken with a lot of salt. With Autel's new drones they have a much better transmission and works well in connected urban areas, with the Dji drones, if you want good range, you need to fly in the open with no obstructions.

Really disappointed with the range of my new Mav 3 Classic. Thought I would get comparable range compared to my Mini 3 and Autel Evo Lite Plus...it's just not there. She came with the RC controller but we know the range sucks with that. (it did), so switched to a RC-N1. Back-to-back tests with against my Evo Lite+, same route, height, smart phone and just a few minutes apart. Evo flew about 4,000 feet farther with no break up in the signal until it lost connection. The Classic had major breakup with the signal during much of the flight. Threw up the Mini 3 Pro after that and she had better range also with a lot less breakup. On a 70" screen, the Evo shows a slightly better picture too. Ordered the RC Pro to see if that helps. I want to love this drone. Any thought?
You are expecting Pro performance from the cheapest RC's. It's not the drone. It is your choice of controllers. You get what you pay for. The RC Pro was specifically designed for the Mavic 3 with external antennas and has 5x the power output of each of the other two. The DJI RC with completely internal antennas was designed for the much cheaper Mini 3 Pro. The RC-N1 was designed for the ancient Air 2. Neither hold a candle to the venerable RC Pro, which you have now ordered.

Last edited:
You can't compare the range of the Evo Lite and Dji. I also have the Mavic 3( not classic) and RC Pro and even with the FCC hack on the RC Pro my Evo 2 V3 gives me 2km more than the Mavic 3. Dji's advertised range is to be taken with a lot of salt. With Autel's new drones they have a much better transmission and works well in connected urban areas, with the Dji drones, if you want good range, you need to fly in the open with no obstructions.
While I don't own the EVO 2 V3, my experience in the United States with Autel vs. DJI range since the EVO has been the exact opposite of yours. Autel has always grossly exaggerated their ranges. DJI delivers on their range specs. The RC Pro performance runs circles around the stock EVO 2 V1 drone, even with the V1 Smart Controller! The only way to get anything comparable to DJI range out of the Autel controllers is to use an Alientech antenna mod.

While I don't own the EVO 2 V3, my experience in the United States with Autel vs. DJI range since the EVO has been the exact opposite of yours. Autel has always grossly exaggerated their ranges. DJI delivers on their range specs. The RC Pro performance runs circles around the stock EVO 2 V1 drone, even with the V1 Smart Controller! The only way to get anything comparable to DJI range out of the Autel controllers is to use an Alientech antenna mod.
The Evo V1 and 2 were useless in range compared to Dji especially the Mavic 3 but the V3 is miles ahead in transmission and the Lite uses a similar transmission hence the OP cannot compare as it kills a Mavic 3 in range

Your post has no actionable content. What distance are you flying? What is the flight environment? How high are you flying while flying out?

I'm going on a year with my Mavic 3 and have had zero range issues and zero disconnects. Granted I have no desire to ever see my investment lost so the max out I've ever flown is a mile from a high vantage point pretty much straight out.
The actionable content is under the EXACT same conditions, My M3 has shorter range than my Evo Lite and Mini 3 Pro..over and over again. I hope the RC Pro makes a difference.

You are expecting Pro performance from the cheapest RC's. It's not the drone. It is your choice of controllers. You get what you pay for. The RC Pro was specifically designed for the Mavic 3 with external antennas and has 4x the power output of each of the other two. The DJI RC with completely internal antennas was designed for the much cheaper Mini 3 Pro. The RC-N1 was designed for the ancient Air 2. Neither hold a candle to the venerable RC Pro, which you have now ordered.
Then why did DJI ship the RC-N1 with the Mavic 3 (non-cine) as the DEFACTO controller??

Then why did DJI ship the RC-N1 with the Mavic 3 (non-cine) as the DEFACTO controller??
Answer: Almost certainly profit margin. As has been stated the RC Pro, at 2 watts of power is the only way to go for Mavic 3 series. I'll agree that Evo Lite/Lite + is outstanding and surprised me, but with no smart controller and a battery in the only controller available that lasts about 90-100 minutes of flight time, Autel let me down again. The V2 Evo with V2 Smart Controller sucked for range, even with an AlienTech Duo II at 4 watts. It flew far, but Video breakup still plagued longer flights unless you were on a desert island perhaps. This was my experience with 4 bars video strength. Sent the V2 in for analysis and... Autel claimed that was the best I would get flying where "trees are" - I live in North Carolina. Not Utah. We have trees. Lots of trees. Sold the E2P V2 & V2 Smart Controller. Eventually gave the Lite + a shot and well... no Smart Controller available and Autel will not commit the Smart Controller SE will ever be compatible - it uses 3 bands but the wrong 3. Lite/Lite + uses 2.4Ghz, 5.2Ghz, 5.8Ghz. The V3 Smart Controller SE uses 900Hz, 2.4Ghz & 5.8Ghz. Not sure how they could ever make that work. Autel Controllers have pitiful interoperability among available aircraft all in silos with one available controller.

DJI RC-N1, RC (RM330) RC Pro (RM510) ALL support Mini 3 Series, Mavic 3 Series, Air 2S. 6 aircraft 3 Controllers all interoperable.

Autel should take a page from that book and stop releasing new Aircraft/Controller pairings that aren't interoperable with anything else they sell.

As to RC Pro - the Mavic 3 / RC Pro remains range champ in my eenvironment.The one with trees. This has been my experience. Yours will be different.

I experienced several issues of reduced signal in the display while flying, however, after checking the flights later on, signal was always green in the review,
my personal distance in the hills in Europe with unimpaired view on the drone was 3 km.
Do not be too scared, if single issues are displayed, you can be sure, that the connection is still good.

The only time I had range issue with M3C was a time I was in a small city, but with my previous drones, no problem.

You are expecting Pro performance from the cheapest RC's. It's not the drone. It is your choice of controllers. You get what you pay for. The RC Pro was specifically designed for the Mavic 3 with external antennas and has 4x the power output of each of the other two. The DJI RC with completely internal antennas was designed for the much cheaper Mini 3 Pro. The RC-N1 was designed for the ancient Air 2. Neither hold a candle to the venerable RC Pro, which you have now ordered.
It was a comment about range in comparison to other drones, no need to shame him into buying a $1200 controller.

Still no answer about HOW FAR OUT you're talking about.
I regularly fly several (4+) miles out with zero bar drops. 100% reception. AND that's with the RcN1. humph.
How far are you trying to go, for Christ's sake?

The Evo V1 and 2 were useless in range compared to Dji especially the Mavic 3 but the V3 is miles ahead in transmission and the Lite uses a similar transmission hence the OP cannot compare as it kills a Mavic 3 in range
We'll have to agree to disagree. The Mavic 3 range in the US with the RC Pro in heavily urban areas already exceeds all needs, with the rare exception of the need for a working 4G dongle on the drone for flying around tall buildings. Unless the EVO 2 V3 now has 4G capability in the United States, it cannot be better than the Mavic 3. YMMV, as you are in New Zealand, and not the U.S..

Because adding $1100 to the $2200 original cost of the Mavic 3 would have discouraged sales, and not everyone needs the best range. Just because it "works" doesn't mean it is the best. The RC-N1 costs $110 and the RC Pro costs $1200! You get what you pay for! The RC-N1 was designed for the now ancient Air 2. The RC Pro was specifically designed for the new Mavic 3.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_