DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disappointed

Hi Cadence8,
Sorry to hear of your woes, can you kindly confirm what model of Mavic II you have, Mini, Air, Zoom or Pro.
What device are you trying to connect into the controller, if it's a phone they do fit, if its a tablet then your may need a tablet holder, and a longer cable,
Amazon sell really good ones that are a cord but have the angled connector for the controller, I have a Huawei T5 MediaPad 10.1 which works well, with a Dji Mavic 2 Pro Tablet Holder.

Best of Luck Thumbswayup
He has a "phone case" issue. Nothing to do with the supplied cables by DJI.

He's NOT WILLING to take the phone out of its case. Sorry, but that is not a DJI / drone / cable issue.

Yet, they could possibly modify their phone case porthole enough so the supplied cable will work. Or - take it out of the case - which he states not willing to do.

My Mavic II arrived two days ago. Haven't flown yet, can't connect phone. NOT gonna be taking it out of case every flight, and doubt it would fit anyway. Can't get the cord out of the slider and it's the only Apple connector supplied. Very disappointed in device connection setup. Impossible. Mount and cable on order. I've had two Inspire 1s since 2015, little used, no at all lately till last week when I promptly crashed one. I'm that kinda pilot. It's in for repair, thought I'd try something newer, with obstacle avoidance. Off to a poor start due to miserable connection setup. Apologies for the bummer intro.
I remember that little slider that came in the mavic 2 controller it lasted about one day and I ripped that little thing right out of there and then it works fairly easy with the cord with an angled plug on the end of it. An iPad mini also fits in that controller with no accessories

Hi Cadence8,
Sorry to hear of your woes, can you kindly confirm what model of Mavic II you have, Mini, Air, Zoom or Pro.
What device are you trying to connect into the controller, if it's a phone they do fit, if its a tablet then your may need a tablet holder, and a longer cable,
Amazon sell really good ones that are a cord but have the angled connector for the controller, I have a Huawei T5 MediaPad 10.1 which works well, with a Dji Mavic 2 Pro Tablet Holder.

Best of Luck Thumbswayup
I know the iPad mini might look to large to fit in the controller space, but I slide mine in there all the time (when I remember to take it) and have been doing it since the Spark. Works for me. Peace!

I know the iPad mini might look to large to fit in the controller space, but I slide mine in there all the time (when I remember to take it) and have been doing it since the Spark. Works for me. Peace!
I remember trying to use a ipad mini in my original Mavic Pro controller, but it wouldn't fit, just tried the ipad mini into the new mavic 2 pro controller, and still doesn't fit, i believe they are 7.9 inches, I know the Mavic Pro controller struggles with trying to accommodate the tablet.

Sorry you're having issues with your aircraft...I got mine with the fly more combo and smart controller on the 19th of March, took it out for it's first flight, wouldn't go any further than 3,000 feet away. Took it to several other locations, ran calibration and still the same...sent it in and it's like they sold me a junk one. Nothing like dropping almost 2 grand on something you can't enjoy...could have just sent me a "New" one instead of making me wait.
Screenshot_20210403-113302_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210403-113239_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-113239_Samsung Internet.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 4
My Mavic II arrived two days ago. Haven't flown yet, can't connect phone. NOT gonna be taking it out of case every flight, and doubt it would fit anyway. Can't get the cord out of the slider and it's the only Apple connector supplied. Very disappointed in device connection setup. Impossible. Mount and cable on order. I've had two Inspire 1s since 2015, little used, no at all lately till last week when I promptly crashed one. I'm that kinda pilot. It's in for repair, thought I'd try something newer, with obstacle avoidance. Off to a poor start due to miserable connection setup. Apologies for the bummer int@ro.
@Cadence8, If you can afford $200 for an iPad Mini 3 or later, that's the ideal setup IMO. It does fit, but it clips to the iPad corners, not the whole edge of the iPad. It's such a good fit that it won't accidentally come out, it's pretty snug. Then, buy from Amazon a 1' USB lightning cord with Type A connector and a 90 degree lightning connector on the other end. The Type A connector plugs into the Type A on the bottom of the controller, which also works to control the craft. The larger Type A connectors are easier to use also, but I never unplug it anyway. I leave the iPad attached to the controller all the time, and the cable plugged in all the time. It stores in my backpack flat, really nice. The iPad is dedicated to the RC, I never use it for anything else. This facilitates fast "out of the bag" launches with no hassle or delay. Used iPad Mini 3 or later is adequate, so buying a used or refurbished iPad Mini for a couple hundred dollars is a good option, plus you can always take calls on your phone by using a dedicated iPad Mini for flying. If you want mapping, just use the hotspot on your phone to connect the iPad during flight. You'll love this setup, if you can afford the $200. You'll have a larger picture and no adapters to fool around with to setup for flight.

1617471462216.png

Well, coming from Phantom 4, I first read a few days on this forum before ordering the Mini2. Lots of pre Info here, before You start to settle on a Drone.

Take your phone out of the case and get flying. Case can’t be a obstacle for not flying.

Last edited:
My Mavic II arrived two days ago. Haven't flown yet, can't connect phone. NOT gonna be taking it out of case every flight, and doubt it would fit anyway. Can't get the cord out of the slider and it's the only Apple connector supplied. Very disappointed in device connection setup. Impossible. Mount and cable on order. I've had two Inspire 1s since 2015, little used, no at all lately till last week when I promptly crashed one. I'm that kinda pilot. It's in for repair, thought I'd try something newer, with obstacle avoidance. Off to a poor start due to miserable connection setup. Apologies for the bummer intro.
Here is a thought: see this:
Here is a thought, leave your case on and use this. It will require a longer connection cord. It can also handle an iPad. https://smile.amazon.com/Mavic-Plat...617476411&sr=8-3#immersive-view_1617476444932

Attachments

• 984C96F0-069E-4E39-932C-A19506A13FC0.jpeg
    984C96F0-069E-4E39-932C-A19506A13FC0.jpeg
    732.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 2B8C7500-05CA-4B87-B78D-2D1D188D5C7C.jpeg
    2B8C7500-05CA-4B87-B78D-2D1D188D5C7C.jpeg
    577.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 15079862-736E-4319-AF10-5FBA3481639C.jpeg
    15079862-736E-4319-AF10-5FBA3481639C.jpeg
    386.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 10E13786-A7B6-4586-AE07-F28D28BC251B.jpeg
    10E13786-A7B6-4586-AE07-F28D28BC251B.jpeg
    339 KB · Views: 6
Check the lid of the case. There is a zipper pocket in the inside lid with cables and filters on the &more version

@Cadence8, If you can afford $200 for an iPad Mini 3 or later, that's the ideal setup IMO. It does fit, but it clips to the iPad corners, not the whole edge of the iPad. It's such a good fit that it won't accidentally come out, it's pretty snug. Then, buy from Amazon a 1' USB lightning cord with Type A connector and a 90 degree lightning connector on the other end. The Type A connector plugs into the Type A on the bottom of the controller, which also works to control the craft. The larger Type A connectors are easier to use also, but I never unplug it anyway. I leave the iPad attached to the controller all the time, and the cable plugged in all the time. It stores in my backpack flat, really nice. The iPad is dedicated to the RC, I never use it for anything else. This facilitates fast "out of the bag" launches with no hassle or delay. Used iPad Mini 3 or later is adequate, so buying a used or refurbished iPad Mini for a couple hundred dollars is a good option, plus you can always take calls on your phone by using a dedicated iPad Mini for flying. If you want mapping, just use the hotspot on your phone to connect the iPad during flight. You'll love this setup, if you can afford the $200. You'll have a larger picture and no adapters to fool around with to setup for flight.

View attachment 126693
Will that work with the ma2 controller

The iPad Mini works with the MA2 controller, but you need an aftermarket adapter, which are inexpensive. The MA2 controller doesn't have the side display clips like the M2 craft, so you can't leave the iPad mini attached to the controller in the same clean and flat way, allowing easy low profile storage in a backpack.

I don't understand why DJI hasn't embraced the iPad mini and provide a clean way to use it, instead of forcing everyone to jerry-rig the attachment with brackets. The DJI folks are brilliant mechanical engineers, I know they could do it they wanted to. This leads me to believe they're trying to sell more SC at a high price. However the SC doesn't have as big of screen as the iPad Mini.

Reactions: mrjohnc1
The iPad Mini works with the MA2 controller, but you need an aftermarket adapter, which are inexpensive. The MA2 controller doesn't have the side display clips like the M2 craft, so you can't leave the iPad mini attached to the controller in the same clean and flat way, allowing easy low profile storage in a backpack.

I don't understand why DJI hasn't embraced the iPad mini and provide a clean way to use it, instead of forcing everyone to jerry-rig the attachment with brackets. The DJI folks are brilliant mechanical engineers, I know they could do it they wanted to. This leads me to believe they're trying to sell more SC at a high price. However the SC doesn't have as big of screen as the iPad Mini.
Ok thanks im looking for something with a bigger screen that looks great i can't afford a s.c how much are they

Ok thanks im looking for something with a bigger screen that looks great i can't afford a s.c how much are they
I use a regular iPad, the 10" diagonal model, with my Mini2, which is the same type controller as the MA2. The 10" iPad starts at $329, but you can get refurbs from Apple for $250. I have to use a bracket to use the regular iPad, but the display is gorgeous. I've been considering getting a new iPad Mini, but I'm waiting for Apple to provide more brightness. They seem to be stuck at 500nits. Maybe someday they'll get to 700 or 800. nits

View attachment 126693
Thanks, John Locke, for the thoughtful and helpful reply. I'm using a Skyreat tablet holder for my ipad Air. Like all the holders I've seen, it blocks view of the controller. I may not be missing much info but I think not being able to see my thumbs on the sticks impairs control. (Like - I'm going straight down a row of trees in an orchard but crabbing a little.) My present setup does keep the antennas more vertical, and I do relatively a lot of marginal signal (distant) flying. I do like my larger screen, but your setup does do away with some fiddling. I like the idea of a dedicated ipad, too. I need to look into an ipad mini.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851