DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Discuss various strobe lights, other lights and attachment, etc in this thread.

ff22

Reactions
Strobe lights came up in a Smart Controller thread and it was suggested that a new thread on the subject was appropriate. So here it is! I know there are already various threads but maybe a consolidated thread that discusses lights, lighting, strobe lights and attachment methods might be appropriate. This might include ways to trigger them on/off remotely (I've read of hook/release thingies trigged (photo sensors) by the controllable landing lights).

I've got the Strobon in white and red. While I did get plastic mounts for them, they can interfere with folding the drone so I've opted for velcro. The white are apparently the brightest. I was having trouble seeing my gray drone against a somewhat distant tree line. It was just lost in that background. The strobes really helped. Similarly, a couple of weeks ago, it was lost in the glare of snow and mountain scenery and the strobes helped in that situation, too. I admit I'm a new flyer and relying on the visual clues from the camera are not enough assurance for me. Visually locating the drone is more comforting.

Is anyone interested in a Light thread?

Last edited:
Strobe lights came up in a Smart Controller thread and it was suggested that a new thread on the subject was appropriate. So here it is! I know there are already various threads but maybe a consolidated thread that discusses lights, lighting, strobe lights and attachment methods might be appropriate. This might include ways to trigger them on/off remotely (I've read of hook/release thingies trigged (photo sensors) by the controllable landing lights).

I've got the Strobon in white and red. While I did get plastic mounts for them, they can interfere with folding the drone so I've opted for velcro. The white are apparently the brightest.

Is anyone interested in a Light thread?
A worthy topic since VLOS as well as visual reacquisition after looking away is increased dramatically with any strobe.

Reactions: ff22
Wouldn't a strobe jack up your video footage? For the life of me, unless you are putting on a show, I cannot imagine why you would wants lights on your aircraft if decent video is a concern. But I am willing to learn...

Wouldn't a strobe jack up your video footage? For the life of me, unless you are putting on a show, I cannot imagine why you would wants lights on your aircraft if decent video is a concern. But I am willing to learn...
Some have reported it, but on my M2P with a white ARC2 on each rear arm and a red one on one front leg with a green one on the other front leg I have not experienced any problems.

I bought a single white strobe light and was thinking of mounting it on the rear of my mavic pro1 on top of the rear green light . Is there likely to be any issues with this location?? dont want to obstruct the internal GPS but not sure where that is located inside the mavic?

dont want to obstruct the internal GPS but not sure where that is located inside the mavic?
The GPS receiver is installed near the front of the Mavic 2 here:

For the Mavic Pro, it's installed right underneath of the top shell here:

GPS.jpg

I bought a single white strobe light and was thinking of mounting it on the rear of my mavic pro1 on top of the rear green light . Is there likely to be any issues with this location?? dont want to obstruct the internal GPS but not sure where that is located inside the mavic?
I put the strobe above the green light, facing aft, on my MP1 and have had no problems. It's the Firehouse with 4 LEDs attached with Velcro. Be sure to orient it with the longer axis vertically. Off center with the long axis horizontally may interfere with the props.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wall-E