DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ditched Mavic Pro in ocean

I had a friend that lost his 5.5 HP Outboard Motor off the back of his boat in 25 feet of water, because the clamps backed off over time and he didn't notice. He had 2 divers in the water at exactly the spot he thought it went down for over 2 hours and they never did find it. Gave up.
At least the ocean is normally more easily to see things until you get very deep. Then, you almost have to bump into it and say, "hey, what's that?"

For next time check out drone-retriever.com
You would at least have your drone and could try and save it.

Reactions: Capt KO
I had a friend that lost his 5.5 HP Outboard Motor off the back of his boat in 25 feet of water, because the clamps backed off over time and he didn't notice. He had 2 divers in the water at exactly the spot he thought it went down for over 2 hours and they never did find it. Gave up.
At least the ocean is normally more easily to see things until you get very deep. Then, you almost have to bump into it and say, "hey, what's that?"
I lost an expensive oar, about 8 feet long, in a lake with no current. I was reasonably certain where it went down as it was close to a marker buoy. I hired a diver the next morning to go down and look for it. Even though the water looked clear at the top, by the time he got down to 25 feet, the visibility was zero. He stayed down for over an hour, walking in a spiral pattern from the center of where I thought it had gone down, but never found it.

Oh boy...That's really to bad. Once I get to altitude I pretty much forget about the left stick unless I want to add a little slight directional yaw while in forward cruise. Especially when I'm flying out over the open ocean or any other large body of water.

This is what you need to buy next! it would be worth the money if you found your drone and could have it replaced with the Refresh! and it's 350.. In Canada.

Attachments

• Under water camera.png
    Under water camera.png
    1 MB · Views: 53
Depth was not unrealistic but the currents unknown..
I’m not pursuing recovery..

Mavics sink but not very rapidly which means they drift a lot on currents.
(Spoken from experience of seeing the absolute exact location one hit the water and then diving to about 40m to get it for the owner. Even with light currents it was a LONG way from the impact point by the time it hit the bottom).

Sorry for your lesson learned. Tough one. Not sure what you were watching or paying attention to,
to cause the splash down. A spotter, or in your case, a retrieval float would have made for a happy ending. Better luck next time.?
Feel for ya. Hope you can find a replacement pro and fly again soon.

The drone was toast the second it hit salt water.
It's not going to be repairable and all that you could reuse would be the SD card and props.
It's not worth the effort and expense to salvage.
When you post the data from your phone or tablet, someone will be able to analyse it for clues to the mystery.
Mine crashed in the ocean and it's flying now.

Post 18, total pilot error.
Sometimes pilots pull the wrong stick, not too often with experience and 2nd nature on the sticks, but it happens a lot with new pilots.
You get away with it sometimes, other times not.
Maybe the cold made the error easier to make, and the altitude dropping and warnings like auto landing were missed on the screen.
After 2 years I still hit the wrong stick all the time. I think they should make them look different.

People really should be monitoring the telemetry. Always be aware of altitude and vertical speed. I cant see any point in different sticks - you shouldnt be looking at them anyway.

Sorry for your loss but by sharing it others may learn and be reminded of task overload. Add this one up to lessons learned.

Apparantly something shifted in my arrangement and hit the controller.

Just noticed this in your reply post #19.
Yes, THAT can happen easily too !!
Ah so a camera or something on another neck strap moved the stick ?

I had this with my Lifthor mount, nad ipad mini 4, the lanyard goes down between the screen and controller sticks.
Was distracted adjusting goggles, and the whole setup tilted while I was lifting the goggles to gain visual, M1P was only 10m away just above my head.

The lanyard moved the right stick forward, and only OA saved the drone from hitting a massive Eucalyptus tree nearby.
It flew around 10m, probably in P mode, and OA stopped it, I lifted goggles, looked for it not far from where it should have been, then found it on screen and by eye literally 2' from a large bushy leafed branch !!

So yeah, have to be in control at all times, and not allow such things to happen.

Do you have another M2P yet @Chris155 ?

According to the recorded flight data, you pulled the left stick hard down at 8:44.5 while the drone was 79 feet up.
You kept the left stick pulled down until the flight data ends at 9:21.3.
At 9:15.7 The drone was 3 feet above the water surface and landing protection prevented it from going lower.
But keeping the left stick down initiated a forced landing 3 seconds later at 9:18.7 and the drone landed into the water.

The log isn't plain text, what did you use to review the flight log?

Post 18, total pilot error.
Sometimes pilots pull the wrong stick, not too often with experience and 2nd nature on the sticks, but it happens a lot with new pilots.
You get away with it sometimes, other times not.
Maybe the cold made the error easier to make, and the altitude dropping and warnings like auto landing were missed on the screen.
I was using intelligent mode hovering and shooting stills with 2nd camera.. something must have leaned on the stick and dropped it in the drink.
Just simply bad maneuver by me.. shooting from a standup paddleboard.
I know the risks associated with it and have done it many times and have never had a near miss..

cc

Last edited:
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett