DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIVE BOMBED FROM 400ft - because of an add-on

A fisherman buddy of mine used these glow in the dark lures. To make the. Glow ultra bright, he would use an old fashioned camera flash just before releasing the line.

I was wearing an analog/digital watch with glow in the dark hands. I thought it would be cool to put the strobe right up to my watch face and pull the trigger.

My watch never worked again. It was completely DOA.

I realize that type of strobe is different than the type used by the op, but the concept of strobes causing electronics to malfunction doesn’t seem too far fetched.
If you want to speed charge a glow in the dark item, get a cheap blacklight flashlight off ebay or amazon.

Great points, however I have used my lights plenty of times. This time though I strobed them to max frequency and set them to brightest. That might be it, ...its the KILL setting, all dialed up.
Ha. You set your phasers from stun to kill. Sorry about the damage though, at least you have an idea of what happened.

The aircraft behavior mirrored the recorded stick inputs. That's the only data I have to go on. If you want to blame the strobes then I can't help you any further, because, quite apart from there being no flight control mechanism to explain how that could happen, there is no evidence in the data to support such a hypothesis.

I'm not so sure.

Firstly he was flying at night. So the downwards optics will not detect the ground. So the altitude will be based on the Altimeter and GPS VDOP, in preference to the optical sensor.

The strobes will be bright enough and consistent enough (frequency on max as described by the OP) to override to optical sensor. Given the strobe it may have decided that the altitude was suddenly above what it expected so it descends rapidly.

Theory only but might explain the behaviour.

Cheers

So the unthinkable happened but my Pro went into a complete stukka like (with a right hand twist) DIVE BOMB WITH motors running because apparently the logs tell me MY LIGHT CUBES which were attached caused the ambient light sensor to completely LOSE IT. It was at night and I had both cubes set to full strobe at full LUMEN brightness setting. So even though it went up ok I am assuming a certain maneuver/turn caused the sensor to overcompensate on the lights.

It looked like a freaking quasar when it came down - total sci-fi movie type **** - and it went fast right into a set of bushes/'slash undeveloped lot next door. SO the only thing that happened to it was all props broke clean off and it absolutely MUNCHED the gimbal/camera. The front pegs right under the red led lights also broke/bent AFT.

If it came down just about 2.5 feet to the right it would have hit curb/concrete/asphalt. Now I got to see how I can get it fixed. PICS to follow shortly ....!!!!
It is illegal to fly a drone at night in the US. You can fly day or during civil twilight which is approx 30 min before sunrise to 30 min after sunset.

It is illegal to fly a drone at night in the US. You can fly day or during civil twilight which is approx 30 min before sunrise to 30 min after sunset.

Doesn’t this rule only apply to part 107 pilots that do not have a waiver but not hobbyists?

Last edited:
...and the thread relevance is?....

So the unthinkable happened but my Pro went into a complete stukka like (with a right hand twist) DIVE BOMB WITH motors running because apparently the logs tell me MY LIGHT CUBES which were attached caused the ambient light sensor to completely LOSE IT. It was at night and I had both cubes set to full strobe at full LUMEN brightness setting. So even though it went up ok I am assuming a certain maneuver/turn caused the sensor to overcompensate on the lights.

It looked like a freaking quasar when it came down - total sci-fi movie type **** - and it went fast right into a set of bushes/'slash undeveloped lot next door. SO the only thing that happened to it was all props broke clean off and it absolutely MUNCHED the gimbal/camera. The front pegs right under the red led lights also broke/bent AFT.

If it came down just about 2.5 feet to the right it would have hit curb/concrete/asphalt. Now I got to see how I can get it fixed. PICS to follow shortly ....!!!!
I'm laughing because the way you painted this incident with words was so nicely done. You definitely have skill. Otherwise, I am sorry to hear about your drone. Send it in to Rob at Thunderdrones. He can get you airborne again in record time. Reasonably priced too.

Was the post where quantumvortex posted his flight log deleted? ;)

You are WRONG. It would be beneficial from several different aspects if you would sit down and do some reading. I learn something new every day. You can too!

Last edited:
Sorry guys,

I havent been able to upload, pics, etc yet, since at work we hardly have access to nothing but I did sync it up on my DJI account (Flight Record).

I could agree with the propeller points you guys made however when I look at the actual replay of the flight I can see it spins multiple times at different flown to locations before it finally "quasar'd" toward earth. So I would think a prop would come off ONCE and then it would not continue to fly and again act as though a prop came off etc.

But again I get the logs, because now that it has settled in I am somewhat pissed and heartbroken since I flew/fly EVERYDAY through 3 batteries at least, EVERYDAY...now its like I've lost a really great buddy or something. ...know what I mean?

Don’t be heartbroken... the repairs sound like a job for Thunderdrones! Thunderdrones to the rescue!

Reactions: quantumvortex
Don’t be heartbroken... the repairs sound like a job for Thunderdrones! Thunderdrones to the rescue!

Do as you will but I'd open a service ticket with DJI. Not to sound shady, but I'd probably omit the part about the strobes and let them draw their own conclusions from the logs. You have nothing to lose. If they rightfully deny your claim, then you can decide what to do from there. For the record, I've seen some reasonable repair bills come back from DJI and for my last repair, they paid for shipping both ways. Although the shipping was SLOW, the actual service was fast AND you remain in warranty in case of further problems with the drone. I'm not sure how that works if you have a third party repair your drone. Good luck!

Reactions: quantumvortex
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54