DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Divine intervention for extreme stupidity

JohnnyD913

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Before i begin I want everyone to know that I am very aware of the few FAA guidelines I chose to ignore.
This Post is intended for some laughs or cuss words about my temporary stupidity.
The post an data will show that God himself must have stepped in ( once again) and took over cause
obviously my Brain was/is nowhere to be found.
lol

So a couple of nights ago I had this BRILLIANT idea, I decided to attach 175 feet of twine to my Mavic Pro
and on the end of that was to go my extremely bright White Firehouse strobe.
The idea was to fly to and orbit my local Wal Mart. I was going to fly the Mav up to 300-350 feet which
put the bottom of strobe 125-175 feetoff ground...
So now imagine the Mav with all its stock leds plus Nav strobes flashing and also in the sky nearby was
yet another wildly random strobe.
I was gonna video all the people gawking at the lights see...
Well of course i forgot to push record so these amazing events can only be analyzed thru data now.

Anyway that went well other than no video all the way up til low battery warnings started and erupting
as well as auto home return was trying to initiate.
BTW, I im sport mode cause i was trying to get home asap before I ran out of battery.
OK so once im near my homepoint i have to try and bring down 175feet of light weight twine, in a apartment
parking lot, woods on one side and apt. building/cars on the other....
My original idea of landing in field got scratched because with my critical low battery i did not have time to go there.
So now i have 25-30 yards of semi clear parking lot to go for.
Well, as im decending something happens and thr twine is getting wrapped up in some MOTORS!!! S#@!
I look up and all i see is my Mav viciously losing altitude, I'm freaking stunned thinking now what?
MY thought was get it down quickly but stop spin!!!
Well after a horrifying bit the spin slowed but still decending over 14 mph, I didnt realize til watching
HD player later that i had sticks in that position. Maybe I could have slowed it if i could have thought that
quickly...

Here is the Divine intervention part.
So instead of smashing into buildings,cars,people,or whatever, The Mav went into the absolute most accessible
little clearing in trees.
It was about a ten foot radius spot that was raised enough to keep the Mav outta the surrounding flood waters,
I literally had to wad thru ankle deep water until I reached that tiny raised area my Mav was in.
IF that wasnt enough, the Mav was laying upside down, back of battery barely touching mud, front arm folded
but not broken, had stick between camera and mounting board,and NOT a single broken prop.
The stick should have easily tore the ribbon cable but IT DID NOT...
Everyone knows how easily the tear but not that day....

So its CLEARLY GODS Work the way nothing or nobody got hurt....

I cant wait til some of you look at data and can tell us much more...
if nothing else watch the HD player, so can see how wildly Mav spun about..

John

Looks like a Pac-Man flight. :D

waka-waka-waka...

K.
Does anyone know what I need to do?
What you NEED to do is Start observing the regs that you know you violated.....if that landed in the parking lot of WalMart and hit someone...it would just be another negative publicity headline for responsible drone operators

What you NEED to do is Start observing the regs that you know you violated.....if that landed in the parking lot of WalMart and hit someone...it would just be another negative publicity headline for responsible drone operators
Well Mark I feel I pretty much covered the part about me NOT
following regs here..
Yes I agree it was bone headed..
I knew people would be upset and I understand but the point
To the post is try and see if someone will decipher the data.

But the MAIN MAIN point was to show how my God stepped in and saved my drone
And prevented other disasters

This looks like a thrust problem on the front left ... but don't think it's as simple as a broken prop this time.

Just here you released a full negative aileron input & the AC started to break by banking to the right (positive roll). But just there 1013sec into the flight the AC starts to rotate CW, pitches down slightly & releases the positive roll somewhat ... all indicating that the CCW torquing side in the front don't produce enough thrust.

1623597737204.png

1623597757968.png

The reason for me not believing that it's a lost prop is that the AC somewhat stabilizes from 1019sec & obey your stick commands with positive aileron, negative elevator & negative throttle pretty well ... that hadn't been possible with one prop missing. Have circled the more stable phase in the chart. Then starting at 1024sec on height 10m the final touch down in the trees starts.

1623598085770.png

Share the mobile device .DAT log ending with FLY315.DAT, then maybe we can pinpoint this further.

This looks like a thrust problem on the front left ... but don't think it's as simple as a broken prop this time.

Just here you released a full negative aileron input & the AC started to break by banking to the right (positive roll). But just there 1013sec into the flight the AC starts to rotate CW, pitches down slightly & releases the positive roll somewhat ... all indicating that the CCW torquing side in the front don't produce enough thrust.

View attachment 130666

View attachment 130667

The reason for me not believing that it's a lost prop is that the AC somewhat stabilizes from 1019sec & obey your stick commands with positive aileron, negative elevator & negative throttle pretty well ... that hadn't been possible with one prop missing. Have circled the more stable phase in the chart. Then starting at 1024sec on height 10m the final touch down in the trees starts.

View attachment 130668

Share the mobile device .DAT log ending with FLY315.DAT, then maybe we can pinpoint this further.
Hey slup,
Thank u for taking the time to review the data.
I can tell u with 1,000% certainty that the twine cause all or some of the motor obstructions..
When I found it two props had the twine choking them down…
Explains ur ( Not the prop this time theory).
Thank u again and I’ll get that other data asap

Ok guys I have deleted several post as another staff member has.
If you can’t help in this stay out as the next criticism I delete Will get warned and if you don’t care than you can post again in 2 weeks. Enough is enough.

Ok guys I posted to stop and some didnt .
They got what I said.
Knowing me like most know I mean what I said.
Any more will get what I said.
dc

Other considerations aside.
A 'tether' needs weight to make it descend at the same rate as the drone. I do not know if the strobe on the bottom of a 175ft line would be enough to keep the 'tether' taut during descent but even if so what happens after the strobe has landed?
I have used paper clips placed at intervals along the tether, probably for the first 7 to 8m below the drone, and they worked in a open space but you need to be very careful of the tether snagging if near trees etc.
Fishing "split shot" might work and be less prone to tangling when the line is stored.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other considerations aside.
A 'tether' needs weight to make it descend at the same rate as the drone. I do not know if the strobe on the bottom of a 175ft line would be enough to keep the 'tether' taut but even if so what happens after the strobe has landed?
I have used paper clips placed at intervals along the tether, probably for the first 7 to 8m below the drone, and they worked in a open space but you need to be very careful of the tether snagging if near trees etc. Fishing "split shot" might work and be less prone to tangling when the line is stored.
I had a washer attached by strobe but obviously it wasn’t enuf..
U r exactly right tho..
It was a spur of the moment thing..

Reactions: DavidT_ NZ
but as soon as the washer and strobe landed the tether became 'weightless'.
This is why I used distributed weighting close to the drone.
I am not sure how slowly the lower, unweighted portion of a long tether will descend in a vertical descent i.e. whether it will be a threat. In my flight in an open space (a toy drone), over short grass, the descent path was a slope and the unweighted portion of the tether was well behind the drone and of no threat.
I did try a tethered flight with a Mini, in my garden, but that was stupid of me and the tether snagged a tree which resulted in non damaging crash into a bush.

Reactions: JohnnyD913
but as soon as the washer and strobe landed the tether became 'weightless'.
This is why I used distributed weighting close to the drone.
I am not sure how slowly the lower, unweighted portion of a long tether will descend in a vertical descent i.e. whether it will be a threat. In my flight in an open space (a toy drone), over short grass, the descent path was a slope and the unweighted portion of the tether was well behind the drone and of no threat.
I did try a tethered flight with a Mini, in my garden, but that was stupid of me and the tether snagged a tree which resulted in non damaging crash into a bush.
Well ur right about the weight problem..
I needed split shot all the way..
Well I doubt I ever try again but if I
Do then at least now o know what to do…
??????

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+