DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY mod for using a phone with case attached

This is an EXCELLENT thread!!

It's a shame that DJI doesn't use a softer rubber for the pads to allow for some variation in device thickness. DJI should realize that people with smartphones use cases to protect their investment (a new iPhone costs as much as a Mavic Air).

I had a "leftover" iPhone 6 that I was planning to use for my drone, so I took off the case to make sure it fit, and, ...you guessed it... I dropped the phone on a concrete driveway - fortunately, it just got some cosmetic scratches, but it makes my point.

All hail the power of search!

I knew there must have been someone that has figured out how to get a phone in a case, into the remote. I did my mod today. Galaxy S8+ in a Seidio case. So it is a big thick beast.

I left the bottom piece out so the rubber was on my screen. I needed a T5 torx to get my screws out
I wasn't sure what a couple of posts said about the teeth that held both pads together, so I have those circled in red.
I saved a bunch of the tiny zip lock bags from waAay back in the day, that the screws for the arms/motors for the DJI F450 came in. For extra credit, I put the extra pieces in one of those bags for safe keeping.

I removed the screws, but the rubber pieces still won't come out.

Note that I have a Mavic Air, so my controller has a slightly different layout than the one pictured earlier in this thread; instead of 3 screws from the bottom, I have two screws from the inside (when the arms of the RC are open).

snap.jpg

When these screws circled in red are removed, the arm with the rubber insert separates from the bar (blue arrow) and the controller body. The two screws go through a bracket , and anchor into the plastic of the arm. I tried prying the rubber inserts out, but no luck - I couldn't even get a tool between the rubber and the plastic of the arm; I'd like to remove the rubber intact.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121