DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY Sun hood for lens on Mavic

It took me about 5 minutes to put masking tape on both sides, mark it out and dremel it open.
So easy, a cave man could do it!
Very nice indeed, good color selection.
I don't have my mavic yet, do that feel fragile or brittle?
Do you think will protect also the gimbal from light impacts?

Very nice indeed, good color selection.
I don't have my mavic yet, do that feel fragile or brittle?
Do you think will protect also the gimbal from light impacts?
The color is actually chrome as it is all I had around handy. It did work out well. I'm not gonna lie, the 3D printed one will certainly be stronger than the plastic one. Will the plastic one take a light bump?... maybe, real light. But then again I made mine as a sun shade. If it crashes it wont matter much if it has a plastic one, a printed one or nothing at all, that delicate micro camera will get damaged. I picked up my lens for $14 shipped and at the time (I wanted to keep my original), there were no 3D printed versions available. So if you don't you plan to fly with the lens yours came with then feel free to cut it up and paint it. :D

It is just a clear plastic very lightweight. Will it protect the gimbal that is hard to say (doubtful) because the clips that hold it in are very weak, now when you cut away the body, it is bound to weaken it more. My cover broke with the mavic folded up and stored in the mavic bag.(the mavic has to sit face down in the bag) If it is going to crack and fall off in the protected bag I doubt it will protect against a crash especially with much of the body cut out. That is why I like the 3D printed version with the much stronger Nylon based composite.

I ordered the 3D printed version however for transporting I will use my stock (actually replacement as my original already cracked in the Mavic bag

Last edited:
Reactions: PaoloOne
It is just a clear plastic very lightweight. Will it protect the gimbal that is hard to say (doubtful) because the clips that hold it in are very weak, now when you cut away the body, it is bound to weaken it more. My cover broke with the mavic folded up and stored in the mavic bag.(the mavic has to sit face down in the bag) If it is going to crack and fall off in the protected bag I doubt it will protect against a crash especially with much of the body cut out. That is why I like the 3D printed version with the much stronger Nylon based composite.

I ordered the 3D printed version however for transporting I will use my stock (actually replacement as my original already cracked in the Mavic bag
I ended up getting one 3D printed too, you convinced me. Hopefully I will not have to test if protects from crashes.
As that guy said once :
"I can afford a 1000$ drone, I just cannot afford loosing it!"

IMG_CD41093E.JPG IMG_D7C9098C.JPG

My DIY gimbal sun shade project copied from Peter Homer's DIY youtube video.

The spray paint I used was:

Valspar Color Radiance, flat #84512 (blindfold, gray)
Valspar Color Radiance, flat #84509 (flat black)

I think the gray turned out to be almost a perfect color match to the Mavic Pro color.

Thanks Peter Homer for your video.

I'm making this for my Mavic BUT for strength and added protection I'm coating the inside with JB Weld! Two thin layers adds a lot more strength to the plastic!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: nil
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM