DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI’s Trade-up is a joke

Aether

Reactions
I was simply curious what DJI was giving (in credit) for a brand new Mavic 2 Pro still new in the box (purchased a month ago). It really surprised me how little they value their own products, which really speaks for itself.

Adjustments.JPG

Next I decided to check how much a damaged one might be worth.

Adjustments.JPG

Now let’s see how much they sell your worthless Mavic 2 Pro for after they refurbish it.

Adjustments.JPG

Highway robbery...

Yes. I tried that when moving from my P3P to an M2P and found that my fully-functional P3P with many accessories and 5 batteries, but scratched from a few minor crashes, was worth something like $18. I would rather give it to a friend or relative than go to that trouble.

Reactions: Aether
same as cars to some extent once purchased the value drops like a brick on steroids ,these companies want you to buy new ,they are not really interested in used products,

The general rule of thumb in manufacturing is that in order to be profitable you need to be able to manufacture your product for about 1/3 the retail value. So, on average, a product that retails for $2,000 should cost around $670 to manufacture. So considering handling and testing costs, it is somewhat unrealistic to expect any manufacture to buy back a product for about what they can manufacture it for.

Yup, they are offering you "used wholesale"... just like a used care dealer would buy your car for. Not a good deal, better to sell outright :)

DJI isn’t in the drone rental business.

I also tried this joke of a “trade up.” I found out that my Spark was worth something like $160, and my MP was worth around $250, with four working batts, and other accessories. Needless to say, I didn’t go through with it.

It’s not what it’s worth. It’s what they will pay you. Certainly not a good deal, so don’t take it.

Reactions: Cyber3xpert
Trade up deals are worthless to the consumer. Not matter the product. I rather sell it in my own term of what the price should be.

Number one lesson in economics is the real price of anything is whatever's anyone willing to pay for it.

Reactions: StellarPropella
I see people trying to sell p3p for 600. The tech is developing to fast to expect much from the old tech. I’ve given away three toying drones cause nobodies buying.
I’ll up the bid to 650 for your m2p.
?

Reactions: StellarPropella
This is the same situation with almost anything you buy when you try to sell it back to a dealer. You're almost always better off selling privately than through a dealer.

That's what I've been saying for a long time that they are in business to make a lot of money and being where they are it makes me wonder where that money is going.

At least for a car, dealer trade-in is not that far below fair market value like it is for drones and phones.

Yes, exactly true. There’re so much like Apple it’s not funny. My Phantom was a 3SE it was perfect I was going to use trade up to buy direct from them. Perfect drone never crashed 3 batteries the whole 9 yards. 25.00 I was stunned by it. Wife put it on the Facebook market thing for 600.00 and I got 550 in 2 days. Just had to teach him to fly it. Farmer who wanted aerial views of his farm. Never again with the Apple of drones. I’ll buy in store and get my replacement coverage but that’s it.

as i said before they dont really want our old drones they want you to buy the latest offerings

Trade-in or trade-up is always the most convenient way to go but you must expect to pay big time for that convenience. The last time I bought a new car I sold the old one privately but had to put up with a lot of tyre-kickers just wanting to low-ball me with ridiculous offers.

Eventually someone came along with a fair offer that was easily $4,000 more than what the new car dealer was willing to pay. If you can tolerate the hassle and time wasting then sell privately - you will save a lot of money.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ICantStopTheLoneliness