DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI 10GBPS LIGHTSPEED DATA CABLE

>I searched Lexar and I think this is the card you are using. States write is up to 120MB/s so I don’t think it the card. >Perhaps the link between the SD slot and USB c connector on the drone is the problem???

It probably doesn't answer that question, but when doing an internal transfer from the SD card to the M3's SSD, the file transfers at 29 MB/s.
The minimum sustained write speed (which is the only stat that you can really count on) of that card is 30 MB/s.

The 10 GB/s is probably just there for SSD transfers

Reactions: Etdronehome
>I don’t know about you but my head is starting to hurt 😜

Mine too. ;)

However, I did one more test, with a USB-A to USB-C cable attached to the M3C. Both the SSD and SD transferred at data to the PC at 40 MB/s.

Attachments

• 2021-12-27_173013 cable.jpg
    2021-12-27_173013 cable.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1
@Reid937

The Sandisk 128 SD card I was using rates an “up to” read of 160MB/s and write at 90MB/s so is close to the “performance” of your Lexar card and you get the same data rate 40MB/s that I was getting using a similar cable. The read speed of the drones SSD would be way faster so that would imply the PC’s USB A type port and/or that cable spec is the limiting factor.

USB 2 max transfers at 480mb/s or 60MB/s and USB 3 max is 5Gbps so it’s likely the Type A cable maxing out at 40.

Can you tell me what the USB C port spec on your computer that you used for the 600 MB/s SSD transfer?

>Can you tell me what the USB C port spec on your computer that you used for the 600 MB/s SSD transfer?

I used the PC's rear USB-C connection. Specs show "USB 3.1 Gen 2 supports speeds of up to 10Gbit/s".

Did a little test today to add to the conversation.

1) I formatted both the 128GB SD card and the 8GB internal storage of my M3
2) Recorded a 30 second video at 4K 60fps to both storage locations
3) Connected to the "Blue" USB Type A connector using the USB A - C cable that came with the M3
4) Copied the files to HD (traditional hard disk - NOT A SSD)

File sizes were very similar (~625MB) and transfer rates were virtually identical at ~40MB/s.

So if USB 3.0 (port on PC can in theory support 625MB/s) and the cable has the same rating they don't appear to be the limiting factor.

The SD card is very challenging to figure out but after some reading I agree with @brett8883 comment on the MINIMUM speed is 30MB/s. I was thinking the internal storage of the M3 was "faster" than the SD but it doesn't appear so based on the results I got.

This is what DJI has published for "storage" on the M3. Note the max "internal" read speed of the SSD is 700MB/s. Some of the listed SD cards might be faster than the 30MB/s MINIMUM but nothing near the SSD.

1640704510844.png

Reactions: Reid937
>I don’t know about you but my head is starting to hurt 😜

Mine too. ;)

However, I did one more test, with a USB-A to USB-C cable attached to the M3C. Both the SSD and SD transferred at data to the PC at 40 MB/s.
Reid937

"I used the PC's rear USB-C connection. Specs show "USB 3.1 Gen 2 supports speeds of up to 10Gbit/s".

Can I request that you repeat the transfer test "FROM" the SSD and SD using the faster port and cable?

Based on past results you would get 600MB/s from the SSD but I'm curious about what it would be from the SD card.

>Can I request that you repeat the transfer test "FROM" the SSD and SD using the faster port and cable?

I got around 606 MB/s with the SSD and 83 MB/s with the SD.

Attachments

• 2021-12-28_074135 sd.jpg
    2021-12-28_074135 sd.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 2021-12-28_074520 ssd.jpg
    2021-12-28_074520 ssd.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
>Can I request that you repeat the transfer test "FROM" the SSD and SD using the faster port and cable?

I got around 606 GB/s with the SSD and 83 GB/s with the SD.
Thanks for doing that!! 😀

Your attachments show MB/s so assume that’s what you intended not GB/s (early in CA so maybe coffee hasn’t kicked in yet😜)

So my “conclusion” based on the assumption that the SD implementation of the M3 and M3C are the same:

The transfer rate limiting factor is the SD card read speed and to some degree how it is physically connected to the PC.

A M3 owner like me could get a boost in transfer speeds IF they have a PC with at least a USB 3.1 Gen 2 or faster Type C port AND a USB C - C cable the same or spec similar to the DJI lightspeed 10GBS one.

A M3C owner will need to have the above mentioned computer USB port specs to achieve the fast (600MB/s) transfer from the SSD.

Is it worth buying a new PC to transfer faster 80MB/s than the current 40MB/s by connecting with cable???

Hmmmm 😀😎

You are correct; I need a second cup of coffee. ;)

===

BTW: The only reason that I put in an SD card is because the SSD transfer rate was terrible prior to the firmware update. If I recall correctly, it took about an hour to transfer a 2 GB MP4. I plan to remove the SD card.

The M3C combo was an impulse buy and I got the premium combo because I wanted the SC Pro. It's unlikely that I will ever use ProRes.

Yea keep in mind the internal 8 GB Memory is probably just an SD card or similar. It’s not till you get the 1 TB internal SSD on the M3C that I would you’ll be able to get the faster read and write speeds.

SSDs perform much closer to their advertised max read & write speeds than SD cards right up till they are about 70% full. For SD cards max read & write spec is basically worthless.

You are correct; I need a second cup of coffee. ;)

===

BTW: The only reason that I put in an SD card is because the SSD transfer rate was terrible prior to the firmware update. If I recall correctly, it took about an hour to transfer a 2 GB MP4. I plan to remove the SD card.

The M3C combo was an impulse buy and I got the premium combo because I wanted the SC Pro. It's unlikely that I will ever use ProRes.
Again I want to thank you for patiently working through this with me. I get a bit like a dog with a bone and can’t move on easily 😎

I’m more into the flying the drone rather than producing videos so I won’t likely spend $ on a new PC. I’m thinking I might explore the possibility of having a tablet that I would use as the FLY app device that would let me import and edit the video from the drone and then export it to the inter web 😎 All the drone stuff in one device. Hmmmm

It’s pretty clear why DJI put the SSD in the Cine. From my minimal understanding ProRes file sizes are relatively HUGE so not only would the SD not be able to handle the write speed, very few people would spend the time moving that much data to their editing platform.

During my reading of SD standards it appears that tech can be much faster than what is currently mainstream, who knows what will be common a few years from now.

Yea keep in mind the internal 8 GB Memory is probably just an SD card or similar. It’s not till you get the 1 TB internal SSD on the M3C that I would you’ll be able to get the faster read and write speeds.

SSDs perform much closer to their advertised max read & write speeds than SD cards right up till they are about 70% full. For SD cards max read & write spec is basically worthless.
Yes I would agree as the entire marketing around SD is based on how fast the device can WRITE. Many vendors quote theoretical max as opposed to real world speeds.

I found this an interesting article on what might have been possible if DJI would have implemented UHSIII in the M3 line. Probably less expensive and sexier to have SSD though 😎

That’s sounds like it would work - not sure of exchange rate but is a fiver more than $10,000 CDN? 😜

I am a bit puzzled why DJI isn’t selling the “real” one though - seems like they could make some money on it.

I’d be weary. Almost certainly fake. I’ve been through this lots of times. The thing is most people use these cables for charging only or only transfer small files and would never think to test them for speed so the reviews are good even for fake cables

These are the specs for USB cable lengths.

3836E570-998A-4D9C-8F91-E24890796025.jpeg

I went interweb shopping😀 to see what was out there for USB4 thinking if I was at some point going to buy a cable that would likely be the best “investment”. Turns out the spec is 31” and the few that I found stated their length at 2’ 6” so that’s a bit short if your computer is on the floor like mine.

I’m under the impression that DJI has said they will support “Quicktransfer at WiFi 6”. WiFi 6 max is 9.6Gbps or 1200MB/s so a LOT faster than I’m getting at 40MB/s. If they get even half of that over WiFi it would be the same as the 600MB/s we have seen over their “Lightspeed” cable. That of course won’t change the limiting factor of the SD card but it might improve things some.
Wait and see for now. 😎

I tested one of their 100W cables yesterday, didn't perform very well!

I tested one of these too:

USB C to USB C Cable 2M, USB C 3.2 Gen2x2 100W Power Delivery & 20Gbps Data Transfer, 4K@60Hz Video Cord with E-Marker for Thunderbolt 3/4, iMac, MacB

This matched the DJI cable and is 2m long. Transfer from SSD to my MacBook Pro i9 was over 650mbs

Too bad manufactures don't follow "naming and labeling standards" it would make things like USB, SD , Wifi, SSD, etc a lot easier for the consumer but perhaps that's why they don't.

The attached PDF is published by the USB IF - the group supposedly in charge.

Attachments

• usb_3_2_language_product_and_packaging_guidelines_final.pdf
    122.9 KB · Views: 4
I tested one of their 100W cables yesterday, didn't perform very well!

I tested one of these too:

USB C to USB C Cable 2M, USB C 3.2 Gen2x2 100W Power Delivery & 20Gbps Data Transfer, 4K@60Hz Video Cord with E-Marker for Thunderbolt 3/4, iMac, MacB

This matched the DJI cable and is 2m long. Transfer from SSD to my MacBook Pro i9 was over 650mbs
That is pretty fast. I think you and @Reid937 should have a drag race 😜

I don’t have much Mac knowledge so what is the spec of the port you are connecting to?

That is pretty fast. I think you and @Reid937 should have a drag race 😜

I don’t have much Mac knowledge so what is the spec of the port you are connecting to?

All 4 ports on the MacBook Pro I have are USB-C 3.1 Ver2 10Gbs max, but supporting Displayport over thunderbolt 3, its pretty quick, one of the advantages I see is I can connect a SanDisk 1050mbs SSD to one port and the transfer from the M3 USB-C port through the Mac and then onto the SanDisk at the same speed as going onto the internal SSD on the Mac (I run my workflow using FinalCutPro directly on a SanDisk 2Tb SSD)

Data transfer using the Mac‘s USB-C has always been blisteringly quick!

I did test a Mac Mini with an M1 Processor which was incredibly fast when rendering, way faster than my i9 MacbookPro unfortunately the BlueTooth connectivity was terrible so it was returned.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan