DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI 4.14 SDK - Mavic Air 2 Support is here !!!

zeusfl

Mavic Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtube.com

Mobile SDK​

Estimated Release Time: 2020-12-13​

Version: 4.14​

New Features​

Added support for Mavic Air 2Confirmed​

Supported Product: Mavic Air 2 Supported Platform: iOS,Android Description:Added support for Mavic Air 2.

This mean that the Litchi and other developers will be releasing the Mavic Air 2 support in their products !!!

The disappointing part is I'm reading there isn't native support for waypoints. Third party developers will be forced to use virtual sticks to implement this functionality.

The disappointing part is I'm reading there isn't native support for waypoints. Third party developers will be forced to use virtual sticks to implement this functionality.
I hate that and is not the same. If the drone lost connectivity will not be able to finish the mission like the M2P does.

Hello people,
what are the consequences of the support for Mavic Air 2?
Other apps than DJI will support the drone?

Sorry for the noob question.

Reactions: Soar Like an Eagle
I hate that and is not the same. If the drone lost connectivity will not be able to finish the mission like the M2P does.
While I agree and have been waiting for the same thing for SAR use I kinda don't see the big deal. You need to do a mission over 3 miles away? If you loose connection you loose FPV and you've certainly lost LOS at that point. I would think you would just be hoping it's actually continuing to fly the mission and not on its way to China. You would never know until half an hour later when it didn't come home. My desire for regular watpoints is just to blast through dead spots when I as the operator am in dense forested areas and the drone is flying a grid above me. It will be frustrating to lose the mission and have to start over every time I get a little block of signal I know the drone will push through in a couple seconds.

Mobile SDK​

Estimated Release Time: 2020-12-13​

Version: 4.14​

New Features​

Added support for Mavic Air 2Confirmed​

Supported Product: Mavic Air 2 Supported Platform: iOS,Android Description:Added support for Mavic Air 2.

This mean that the Litchi and other developers will be releasing the Mavic Air 2 support in their products !!!
Does this require a firmware update on the MA2?

It doesn't have anything to do with the drone. Its the code 3rd party developers needed to make their apps work with the ma2.

Actually according to the release notes for the SDK, the drone needs at least firmware .0460

All right you young whippersnappers! Wtf is a virtual stick?

It's where the 3rd party app is sending stick commands (basically pretending there is a human manipulating the remote controller), instead of just telling the drone to fly to specific waypoint coordinates.

It's where the 3rd party app is sending stick commands (basically pretending there is a human manipulating the remote controller), instead of just telling the drone to fly to specific waypoint coordinates.
So, waypoints could still be set and followed but the route info is not saved onboard the drone and are instead being broadcast from the app to the controller to the drone?

So, waypoints could still be set and followed but the route info is not saved onboard the drone and are instead being broadcast from the app to the controller to the drone?

Basically with "virtual sticks" the waypoints aren't being handled by the drone at all. Instead the app on your phone processes the waypoints and just sends commands to the drone to get it to fly to those locations.

The important point to be aware of here, is that DJI have not enabled autonomous waypoint flights (virtual stick only) and are not going to (apparently).
This means that for mapping small areas where remote connection is easily maintained then something like Flight Plan above is a good option.
if you want to map more extensive areas, it just won’t cut it.
im going to have to sell mine sadly and get a Mavic 2 pro.

Reactions: britdub
The important point to be aware of here, is that DJI have not enabled autonomous waypoint flights (virtual stick only) and are not going to (apparently).
This means that for mapping small areas where remote connection is easily maintained then something like Flight Plan above is a good option.
if you want to map more extensive areas, it just won’t cut it.
im going to have to sell mine sadly and get a Mavic 2 pro.
I do not believe the Mavic 2 Pro will give you any better coverage. However...With your MA2, if the area is not two large, plot one hour's worth of mapping. As you bring the drone back after 20 minutes of flying, put in a new battery, restart the drone and it will pick up where it left off with the original battery. That will not do acreage, but it might help. I know that works with DroneDeploy.
...Of course, if large mapping is important to you, and you are making money doing it, just buy and keep charged as many batteries as you need...

Reactions: Speedster 1966
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d