DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI AIR 2S SUDDENLY SHUTS DOWN AND FALLS FROM THE SKY

ptah22

Reactions
Hello Guys,

I have had a DJi Air 2S for a year now. I didn't use it much but was planning to start creating travel content with it. However, it has developed an issue where when hovering, it just shuts down and drops from the sky, then when on the ground it restarts. This has happened a few times, and I have tested it. When giving it inputs like pitch roll, yaw etc., the drone works fine, but hover for a few minutes without doing anything and the drone comes down like a rock, and it has been damaged a few times due to this. I sent DJI the logs and aircraft body data and they claimed that they can't see any issues. I have tried calibration and the batteries look okay. What could be the issue?
Here is a link to the logs I sent to DJI - Peter Karanja Flight Records - Google Drive

The flight logs that shows what happened seems to be - DJIFlightRecord_2023-10-08_[18-20-42].txt and 2023-10-08_[18-20-27]_FLY047.DAT

PS: Someone is selling a used DJI Mini 2 and I was considering getting it but I want to know if My Air 2S can be fixed. Any advice will be highly appreciated

Attachments

• 2023-10-08_18-20-27_FLY047.DAT
    7.3 MB · Views: 38
Reactions: RodPad
Happens with every battery
That's not good certianly sounds like a bad component. It should not shut off and give you no warning about it on your controller beforehand! You would need to do quite a bit of investigating to pin it down yourself. It could be a bad sensor, an IMU, something funny with the ESC while trying to stabilize- etc...something is telling it to shut-off somehow.
I would send it to DJI-- Tell them that it is unflyable to you, because you do not wish to knock someone out with your drone and your money is best spent with them instead of on someone else at Kaiser Permenente.
They may check the logs or they may simply read the ticket- either way you are getting a totally new drone (refurb) so your problem should be solved.

Hello Guys,

I have had a DJi Air 2S for a year now. I didn't use it much but was planning to start creating travel content with it. However, it has developed an issue where when hovering, it just shuts down and drops from the sky, then when on the ground it restarts. This has happened a few times, and I have tested it. When giving it inputs like pitch roll, yaw etc., the drone works fine, but hover for a few minutes without doing anything and the drone comes down like a rock, and it has been damaged a few times due to this. I sent DJI the logs and aircraft body data and they claimed that they can't see any issues. I have tried calibration and the batteries look okay. What could be the issue?
Here is a link to the logs I sent to DJI - Peter Karanja Flight Records - Google Drive

The flight logs that shows what happened seems to be - DJIFlightRecord_2023-10-08_[18-20-42].txt and 2023-10-08_[18-20-27]_FLY047.DAT

PS: Someone is selling a used DJI Mini 2 and I was considering getting it but I want to know if My Air 2S can be fixed. Any advice will be highly appreciated
I looked at all the 5 .DAT and 7 .txt log files and did not see an incident like what you have described. FLY039 came close with the MA2 landing at 10 secs because the throttle went full negative. But, I think that was commanded by the pilot because there was also some movement of the yaw stick.

The logs came from flights back in early October 2023. Are they the right ones? Can you point to a specific log and time where you think this occurred?

I looked at all the 5 .DAT and 7 .txt log files and did not see an incident like what you have described. FLY039 came close with the MA2 landing at 10 secs because the throttle went full negative. But, I think that was commanded by the pilot because there was also some movement of the yaw stick.

The logs came from flights back in early October 2023. Are they the right ones? Can you point to a specific log and time where you think this occurred?
Does the Air 2S not write motor speeds to the DAT or is my brain throwing a wobbler?

Does the Air 2S not write motor speeds to the DAT or is my brain throwing a wobbler?
Motor speeds are recorded. But, DatCon doesn't know about the MA2 record type that contains them. To see tell DatCon/CsvView that you want all signal groups
1704898269595.png
This will cause DatCon to create a parser for any record type that it doesn't know about. The created field names will be taken from the .DAT definitions and may be a bit cryptic. E.g., the right front motor speed has the name esc_data:e1_spd:D. The :D suffix is added by DatCon to indicate that it was created from the .DAT definitions.

Take a look at the DatCon user manual
https://datfile.net/Doc/DatCon4.pdf
section 4.

Last edited:

The flight logs that shows what happened seems to be - DJIFlightRecord_2023-10-08_[18-20-42].txt and 2023-10-08_[18-20-27]_FLY047.DAT.

I have not flown it much since then so they the right logs.

The flight logs that shows what happened seems to be - DJIFlightRecord_2023-10-08_[18-20-42].txt and 2023-10-08_[18-20-27]_FLY047.DAT.

I have not flown it much since then so they the right logs.
The few times I have flown it to test it, the same thing has happened

Motor speeds are recorded. But, DatCon doesn't know about the MA2 record type that contains them. To see tell DatCon/CsvView that you want all signal groups
View attachment 171733
This will cause DatCon to create a parser for any record type that it doesn't know about. The created field names will be taken from the .DAT definitions and may be a bit cryptic. E.g., the right front motor speed has the name esc_data:e1_spd:D. The :D suffix is added by DatCon to indicate that it was created from the .DAT definitions.

Take a look at the DatCon user manual
https://datfile.net/Doc/DatCon4.pdf
section 4.
This is wha a user said in another forum

If you look at the csv of the flight log DJIFlightRecord_2023-10-08_[18-20-42].txt and the columns entitled "BATTERY.current [A]" and "OSD.isMotorOn", their last entries are "FALSE" and 1.774 respectively. To me that suggests that the drone stopped its motors in midair
I would suggest that you post the thread and the logs DJIFlightRecord_2023-10-08_[18-20-42].txt and 2023-10-08_[18-20-27]_FLY047.DAT over on MavicPilots, in the crash section Crash & Flyaway Assistance and see what BudWalker, slup or sar104 can make of them.
The DAT strikes me as odd since DATs normally contain motor speeds but your DAT and several other Air 2S DATs do not.

This is wha a user said in another forum

If you look at the csv of the flight log DJIFlightRecord_2023-10-08_[18-20-42].txt and the columns entitled "BATTERY.current [A]" and "OSD.isMotorOn", their last entries are "FALSE" and 1.774 respectively. To me that suggests that the drone stopped its motors in midair
I would suggest that you post the thread and the logs DJIFlightRecord_2023-10-08_[18-20-42].txt and 2023-10-08_[18-20-27]_FLY047.DAT over on MavicPilots, in the crash section Crash & Flyaway Assistance and see what BudWalker, slup or sar104 can make of them.
The DAT strikes me as odd since DATs normally contain motor speeds but your DAT and several other Air 2S DATs do not.
Can you be more specific about where you saw the post commenting on the last row of the .csv? Better yet, point that poster to the posts I've made in this thread.

The last row of that .csv appears to be a copy of the first row. I.e. the .csv is corrupted.

The few times I have flown it to test it, the same thing has happened
You need to be more specific if you want help. Can you do a test a flight where this happens and
1) post the .DAT and .txt
2) specify a time in that flight

Can you be more specific about where you saw the post commenting on the last row of the .csv? Better yet, point that poster to the posts I've made in this thread.

The last row of that .csv appears to be a copy of the first row. I.e. the .csv is corrupted.
It was on DJi Forum by user @Sean-bumble-bee

@ptah22 are there .DAT log files ending in FLY048, FLY049, FLY050, FLY051 and FLY052?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N