DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI AIR 3 RC 2 screen recording straight to microsd?

danCER

Reactions
Hello.
I recently got the Air 3 with RC 2. I love finally being able to record the RC screen. When I go to retrieve the video captured, it is not on the microsd card (I will refer to it as SD from now on).
I have to go to the internal storage and then MOVE TO the SD card. However there is a setting in: Profile/Settings/Storage where you can SWITCH storage location. So I switched to SD.
However, the next time I do screen recording, it is STILL saved to the Internal storage and must MOVE TO the SD.
What is the point to switch storage location if it still saves to the internal? I just wondered if you actually can save DIRECTLY to the SD card.
Thanks.

Same issue here. I think it's a bug to be honest. Also, if you notice there is no "Pictures" folder created on the external SD card after you change default storage to external. "Pictures" is where screenshots are stored by default on internal storage.

I'm wondering, and I cannot remember if this is the case with other newer DJI craft, that IF the content is transferred from the aircraft via Quick Transfer (batch select) it is in fact transferred to the controllers' external SD.

Same issue here. I think it's a bug to be honest. Also, if you notice there is no "Pictures" folder created on the external SD card after you change default storage to external. "Pictures" is where screenshots are stored by default on internal storage.

I'm wondering, and I cannot remember if this is the case with other newer DJI craft, that IF the content is transferred from the aircraft via Quick Transfer (batch select) it is in fact transferred to the controllers' external SD.
I am beginning to think that the option to SWITCH storage locations in the PROFILE/SETTINGS/STORAGE refers to the following Air 3's Camera settings. Cache When Recording is described as "When enabled, the liveview on the remote controller will be stored in the remote controller storage when recording video." --from the official Air 3 manual. So, if you switch to the external SD location that is where "liveview" will be stored and NOT the screen recordings. I contacted DJI online and was told that if you can MOVE video from Internal to the SD card then everything is operating perfectly.
If you click on the GALLERY on the main page on RC 2 Screen, it shows the LIVEVIEWS if enabled in CAMERA Settings.
SINCE the RC 2 does not have QUICK Transfer I do not know where it is stored but you may be right.

I am beginning to think that the option to SWITCH storage locations in the PROFILE/SETTINGS/STORAGE refers to the following Air 3's Camera settings. Cache When Recording is described as "When enabled, the liveview on the remote controller will be stored in the remote controller storage when recording video." --from the official Air 3 manual. So, if you switch to the external SD location that is where "liveview" will be stored and NOT the screen recordings. I contacted DJI online and was told that if you can MOVE video from Internal to the SD card then everything is operating perfectly.
If you click on the GALLERY on the main page on RC 2 Screen, it shows the LIVEVIEWS if enabled in CAMERA Settings.
SINCE the RC 2 does not have QUICK Transfer I do not know where it is stored but you may be right.
I just connected to the Air 3 and downloaded files to the controller and they are in fact saving to the external SD. The files in the album show an SD card icon on each file.

I just connected to the Air 3 and downloaded files to the controller and they are in fact saving to the external SD. The files in the album show an SD card icon on each file.
How did you download the files to the controller? Are you referring to Screen recordings or video from the Air 3? Are you using the RC 2 or did you do quick transfer?
But the Screen recordings are still saved to internal, correct? Did you enable Cache When Recording?

How did you download the files to the controller? Are you referring to Screen recordings or video from the Air 3? Are you using the RC 2 or did you do quick transfer?
But the Screen recordings are still saved to internal, correct? Did you enable Cache When Recording?
I'm referring to video from the Air 3. Power on the combo. On the main Fly screen hit Album. Select the videos that you want to download (they will say "Low Res Preview" in the upper-left of the screen).

Regarding screen recordings; I am only able to get them to the SD card by moving/copying them with the RC2 connected to my PC. I do not have Cache When Recording enabled in Fly.

When plugging the controller into the PC, the path is:

DJI RC2 > SD Card > DCIM > DJI Album

On the RC2 hit album, Aircraft Album and choose "Saved." Your downloads should be there.

Regarding screen recordings; I am only able to get them to the SD card by moving/copying them with the RC2 connected to my PC. I do not have Cache When Recording enabled in Fly.

You can access a local file browser on the RC and RC2 and copy/move any file (logs, screen shots, etc.) between local storage and the SD card. Here's a video I made showing how to copy flight logs to the SD card on the DJI RC. Should get you started.

If you don't have the notification to explore the SD card (this seems to have gone away after some firmware update on my RC1), you can get there this way after pulling down the status/notification screen:
  • click the settings gear/nut on the upper right
  • click Storage
  • click Music & Audio
  • click Audio files
You should now be in the file browser.

You can access a local file browser on the RC and RC2 and copy/move any file (logs, screen shots, etc.) between local storage and the SD card. Here's a video I made showing how to copy flight logs to the SD card on the DJI RC. Should get you started.

If you don't have the notification to explore the SD card (this seems to have gone away after some firmware update on my RC1), you can get there this way after pulling down the status/notification screen:
  • click Storage
  • click Music & Audio
  • click Audio files

Yep, that works well. However I like to see what may be actually going on (or not) on a new piece of hardware. I like to see it via a computer. And like you said, with firmware updates who knows what's missing that was there prior.

Just release the DJI RC Pro 2 and let's get it over with. 🤣 I gets pretty tiring being so locked down with the RC1 and RC2.

Edit: I don't recall an image editor within the folders on the RC1. There are definitely some tweaks with the RC2. I rarely mess with data on the controllers and just dump to NAS.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I'm referring to video from the Air 3. Power on the combo. On the main Fly screen hit Album. Select the videos that you want to download (they will say "Low Res Preview" in the upper-left of the screen).

Thanks for the updates. But to be clear, when you said, "I'm referring to video from the Air 3," you meant the "Low Res Preview" cached videos, correct?
I am still getting use to my new toy and continue to learn. Thanks again!

Thanks for the updates. But to be clear, when you said, "I'm referring to video from the Air 3," you meant the "Low Res Preview" cached videos, correct?
I am still getting use to my new toy and continue to learn. Thanks again!
No, the controller will only show Low Res Previews of what are really the Hi Res product on the Air 3. I DO NOT have Cache When Recording on. You're very welcome!

No, the controller will only show Low Res Previews of what are really the Hi Res product on the Air 3. I DO NOT have Cache When Recording on. You're very welcome!
Ok sorry that I am being so dense, but you are downloading the HI-Res video on the Air 3 to your controller's SD? Or are you downloading the Hi-Res videos from the Air 3 to your PC via the RC? I assume your Air 3 videos are recorded on the Air 3 SD, right?

Ok sorry that I am being so dense, but you are downloading the HI-Res video on the Air 3 to your controller's SD? Or are you downloading the Hi-Res videos from the Air 3 to your PC via the RC? I assume your Air 3 videos are recorded on the Air 3 SD, right?
No problems at all. I am downloading the Hi-Res videos from the Air 3 to the RC2 SD card. The videos are in fact coming from the SD card in the Air 3.

No problems at all. I am downloading the Hi-Res videos from the Air 3 to the RC2 SD card. The videos are in fact coming from the SD card in the Air 3.
OK I am with you now. Always in the past, I just removed the Drone's SD card and used a card reader to transfer to my PC. Now I know an alternate to remove the drone's videos from its SD card!

OK I am with you now. Always in the past, I just removed the Drone's SD card and used a card reader to transfer to my PC. Now I know an alternate to remove the drone's videos from its SD card!
Good deal. It's a nice feature to have, but really removing SD cards is always easiest. I think it really has become a "thing" as people can download files straight to a mobile device, you know, and get "likes." 🤣

Although it is piece of mind to know that I have one last SD backup option in the field if I lose my six-dozen micro SD cards. Although lately, it wouldn't surprise me if I lost my controller whilst out in the boonies. Since the inception of the Smart Controllers/RC Pro/DJI RC's I seem to dump the controllers' SD card about once per year.

Have a great rest of your weekend! 🍻

Good deal. It's a nice feature to have, but really removing SD cards is always easiest. I think it really has become a "thing" as people can download files straight to a mobile device, you know, and get "likes." 🤣

Although it is piece of mind to know that I have one last SD backup option in the field if I lose my six-dozen micro SD cards. Although lately, it wouldn't surprise me if I lost my controller whilst out in the boonies. Since the inception of the Smart Controllers/RC Pro/DJI RC's I seem to dump the controllers' SD card about once per year.

Have a great rest of your weekend! 🍻
Just a quick follow-up: I flew this morning and after the flight, I powered on the RC2 and Air 3. Went to ALbum, saw today's Low Res preview and hit the download arrow bottom right. It took awhile but the video from Air 3(Hi-RES) was downloaded to my RC 2 SD card! Thanks for all your help and you have good weekend as well.

Just a quick follow-up: I flew this morning and after the flight, I powered on the RC2 and Air 3. Went to ALbum, saw today's Low Res preview and hit the download arrow bottom right. It took awhile but the video from Air 3(Hi-RES) was downloaded to my RC 2 SD card! Thanks for all your help and you have good weekend as well.
That's great to hear and you are most welcome. It is ridiculously slow to be certain, but does have a few positives.

Enjoy your Air 3, I know I am. 👍

Hello.
I recently got the Air 3 with RC 2. I love finally being able to record the RC screen. When I go to retrieve the video captured, it is not on the microsd card (I will refer to it as SD from now on).
I have to go to the internal storage and then MOVE TO the SD card. However there is a setting in: Profile/Settings/Storage where you can SWITCH storage location. So I switched to SD.
However, the next time I do screen recording, it is STILL saved to the Internal storage and must MOVE TO the SD.
What is the point to switch storage location if it still saves to the internal? I just wondered if you actually can save DIRECTLY to the SD card.
Thanks.
on the SC, go to profile > settings > current storage location, and change to SD card.

• click Storage
  • click Music & Audio
  • click Audio files

Was extremely frustrated before this - your steps worked perfectly - thanks for posting!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne