DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI and Mavic 2 Pro Issues

Ray Edwards

Reactions
I purchased a Mavic 2 Pro this week, flew it five or six times for a total of less than 45 minutes. First 4 times I flew in Beginner Mode, last two in Regular mode. No accidents, crashes, brushes or hard landings. First five times I was elated. What a great machine. But now I'm on a roller coaster. The last time I flew was this morning. Something happened to the gimbal. I could not move it any direction. It just hung down. Video still worked. Got it powered down but when I re-powered, the gimbal went through the normal movement sequences (no rapid, hard movements) and then faced downward. Gimbal did not respond to Remote Control movements. Remote Control showed error message."Gimbal Overload, check to see if guard has been removed." After deleting and re-installing DJI Go 4 multiple times and updating firmware in Assistant 2 for Mavic, error message stated "Gimbal motor load too large." Called DJI tech support. Followed instructions to refresh firmware, update firmware, re-calibrate IMU and Gimbal. Gimbal calibration hung up at 10%. Still no solution. Now I have to send it in for repairs. It's only five days old. I live in Florida. I have to send it to California. Not a happy camper. . Oh..By..The...Way, did i mention that I received my brand new CrystalSky 7.8 inch Ultra today? Imagine my surprise when I opened the box for a $1000. item that was advertised as compatible with the Mavic 2 Pro and it DID NOT contain a charger for the batteries. Sooo, I have nothing for the $3,500 I have spent on DJI Products. Here's to hoping the DJI does the right thing!... If not, does anyone have Board Of Directors Names and phone numbers?

I’ll get the obligatory “why would you even want to fly a drone?” Comment out of the way to save all of the salty buggers some time ;)

But yeah, this is rather fragile technology man. I’ve already gone through two Mavic 2 pros due to bad pixels out of the box (a debated issue on whether one should “care” about that issue in off itself)
All I can say is. Welcome to life as a DJI costumer, when they work they’re great, when they don’t... well...at least we all have each other to complain about it haha :D

I’ll get the obligatory “why would you even want to fly a drone?” Comment out of the way to save all of the salty buggers some time ;)

But yeah, this is rather fragile technology man. I’ve already gone through two Mavic 2 pros due to bad pixels out of the box (a debated issue on whether one should “care” about that issue in off itself)
All I can say is. Welcome to life as a DJI costumer, when they work they’re great, when they don’t... well...at least we all have each other to complain about it haha :D

Well, at least you reminded me to try to keep a happy face on the situation. Thanks....

Reactions: Flyguy95r
OP, your problem is mechanical and not firmware related. Something has happened to your gimbal, and it needs to be sent in. It's rare, but I have heard of a few examples of it happening. Yes, it might take 2-3 weeks to get a new one back, but thats the problem with DJI not having a service center for us east coast customers.

The CS not having a charger gets my goat too. They do tell you that you have to buy the charger separately, but why does DJI just not include it in the first place.

Another good reason to buy a drone from B and H, or one of our Approved Vendors, or locally. Ease of return or exchange.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tilsa and macoman
OP, your problem is mechanical and not firmware related. Something has happened to your gimbal, and it needs to be sent in. It's rare, but I have heard of a few examples of it happening. Yes, it might take 2-3 weeks to get a new one back, but thats the problem with DJI not having a service center for us east coast customers.

The CS not having a charger gets my goat too. They do tell you that you have to buy the charger separately, but why does DJI just not include it in the first place.

Another good reason to buy a drone from B and H, or one of our Approved Vendors, or locally. Ease of return or exchange.

I would've preferred to purchase from B&H Photo. I have an account with them and buy all my Photo equipment, printers, paper and ink. I even had a Chat with them about when the would start carrying the Mavic 2. I choose to buy now because I wanted to take it up into the mountains next week for some waterfall footage. That idea's totally shot. I realize that the problem is hardware. There have been plenty of Threads and Youtube video on gimbals doing this. I thought that DJI would have had this problem fixed on the 2. Something about the ribbon cable.

I don't know if it's the same in the US, but I was able to return mine for a replacement within 15 calendar days due to a fault.

Turnaround time from picking up the package and sending to The Netherlands and receiving replacement back in the UK- 5 working days

Reactions: Johnmcl7

Thunder, I thought there is an DJI office in New Jersey... not sure if they do repairs or if it's executive offices.

I don't know if it's the same in the US, but I was able to return mine for a replacement within 15 calendar days due to a fault.

Turnaround time from picking up the package and sending to The Netherlands and receiving replacement back in the UK- 5 working days

Thanks for the encouragement. Like I said, I'll wait to see how well DJI " Does the Right Thing" I was really amazed at how well the Mavic 2 Pro flew before the gimbal went out.

Didn't they offer you a straight replacement rather than repair as you'd only had it 5 days?

No, they did not. I spoke to both a Tech and a Supervisor. Inquired about the possibility of being sent a replacement after they received the shipment notice from UPS. They sent me to the Service Repair website. There was an option for replacement but the wording was very strong on delays and problems if all conditions were not met. I did attach a copy of my purchase receipt. I'll call again. Thank You

No, they have to get the drone first and then they put you in line for testing and then they will decide if you get a new one or not.

This was the timeline for my return.

Accepted Oct/08/2018 19:54:51
Product received Oct/12/2018 12:44:00
Verified Oct/12/2018 12:47:00
Product delivered Oct/12/2018 13:05:24

They must have literally opened the box to check everything was returned and processed the replacement

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I had the same issue as the OP with my Mavic 2 Pro. Total flight time of about 6 hours over a month. No rough handling, no crashes, etc. Attached picture of what the gimbal looked like after the gimbal overload condition. Live in SC, total time from dropping off at UPS to delivery of the new unit was 14 days. DJI didn't give me any issues and didn't try to get me to pay for anything or try to use the dji care refresh. 20180927_194857.jpg

I also have a Mavic 2 Pro that got the "Gimbal Load to Large" error. I'd only flown the drone maybe 4-5 times with no incidents. Mine started acting up when I updated the firmware. I've heard other stories of mavic 2 pro owners installing ND filters and receiving this error. Currently my Mavic 2 Pro is in transit to DJI's repair centers in California. I'll update this post with the resolution when I hear back from them.

I sent mine in to DJI Service Repair in California. Two weeks round trip and one week evaluation and repair. They handled it under Warranty so I did not have to use my DJI Care. No explanation offered and no list of repairs. On the plus side, I have it back. Flying it is awesome. Video is awesome. Watching a lot of YouTube video and reading the Weekly Mavic Pilot Forum to learn form other's experiences and mistakes. Making sure I use the gimbal cover before moving it between launches. It looks as if RTH has a lot of issues but I think most of those are pilot error in not establishing Home Point before hand . I suggest that if you are as new to this as I am that you make up a pre-flight check list. Mine has battery Charge levels (Mavic , RC, Crystal Sky monitor), Flight Mode (GPS), # of Satellites, Obstacle Avoidance, Connection Signal Strength, Video Connection Signal Strength, and Home Lock established. This makes me look at ALL necessary functions before taking off. I also changed the RTH Altitude to 60 meters from the default 30 meter. When I fly in the mountain, I'll probably change that to a higher level. READ the Mavic Pilot Forums as they are posted.

Reactions: fozzzy
Crystalsky originally was designed around the Inspire and Phantom drones both of which have chargers that will charge the CS.

As DJI rolled the CS out to newer drones they did not make a new charger or connection for the Mavic charger. Also not sure if the Mavic charger will produce enough voltage to charge the CS battery.

I picked up a non DJI Phantom charger off Amazon for 20.00 to charge the CS.

Maybe next version of CS will have a better battery charger design.

Paul C

Had similar problems with the PRO I got to test along the ZOOM a couple of weeks ago. But mine would move and behave oddly during flight, usually in wind or fast speed. Or the combination of both.

I missed an entire morning worth of filming kite surfers and wasn´t able to fix it, but the next day it was back to perfect order yet the weather was more calm.

I ended up opting for the ZOOM, not much for those issues as I did for other desired features of the Zoom. But yes being honest I felt the gimbal and camera of the ZOOM more refined overall, it´s smaller and lighter and I found it so nimble and precise and a real improvement over the MP1 camera.

Having the same problem. I get a feed, but the gimbal is reporting errors. Did any of you find a resolution for this? My error is the same, and it's occuring after a small crash (about 2-feet, bumped into a wall).

I had a similar problem with my other original Mavic, which needs a ribbon cable replacement after getting shuffled around in a backpack. Are these ribbon cables available for the Mavic 2 and is that a common fix?

I did the same thing. I just ordered a ribbon cable on amazon. 1-3 week shipping estimates since they all come from China. Found nothing in the US. If this doesn’t work, I will ship to DJI and use my Refresh.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu