DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Authorization zone - FAA says I can fly 100 ft up

One is a screenshot of the DJI geo zones in the app...the other is a screenshot of the maps in the FAA gridmap site..
Whatever your sources if you're trying to make a point with map comparisons it helps to have the maps at/near the same scale.
As I mentioined it looks like you're right. If you look at the attached screenshots the one from DJI and two from the FAA appear prove your point about the Camp Peary Airstrip.
On the chart "Restricted" just means you can't land your plane there.

DJI definitely looks to bee adding extra unecessary airspace restrictions.

I assume you're being facetious about the use of the word "receptive" If not, ask the unfortunate nano drone owners in India where their ridiculous 15 meter height ceiling was increased by their governing body to 120 meters almost 6 months ago, but dji refuses to remove the limit.
I am not being faceitous that was a legitimate question.
I'm sorry I'm not current on what is happening in India or UAS flying in general.

It's been years since I've flown my P3 or my RC planes and the last time I did it was way out in the middle of nowhere.
I got out of the hobby for a bit because of all the FAA stuff.

Now that were figuring out how the rules are being applied and the LAANC process is in place I decided to get back into it and get my Remote Pilot License and a Air 2.

For all of the mentioned issues it certianly looks better that it did a couple years ago, at least from my perspective. I remember it taking months for people to get permission to fly near airports and other restrictred locations. Now for those locations in the LAANC system it's pretty quick. This is of course assuming the maunfacturer doesn't get in the way as I'm hearing here.

Thanks for all the input!
I came here to get informed and that's what is happening.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-14 082208.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-04-14 082208.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2022-04-14 082311.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-04-14 082311.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2022-04-14 090241.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-04-14 090241.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 1
Yeah good point about the map scale but one of my other posts I mentioned how I could not zoom in on an iPad or iPhone any closer on the grid maps because it crashed. And of course you are referring to manufacture being the Chinese one. Most Homebuilt UAVs do not have flight controllers program with Geo fencing.

And of course you are referring to manufacture being the Chinese one.
I was referring to any manufacturer that does or will limit flight.

I only expect this to increase as this September is when Remote-ID goes into effect.

I'm not so concerned abut DJI as they've been largely ahead of the curve in compliance.
I believe that through software most of thier existing craft (fingers crossed for the Phantom 3) will comply and therefore will still be able to be legally flown.

I'm most worried about all of my hobby craft. So far I haven't seen any retofit solution.
I thought by now we'd be seeing Remote-ID equipped receivers from the big manufacturers (Spektrum, FrSky etc.) or third-party modules to put in RC craft.

This year is going to be interesting.

EDIT: I had my dates wrong. By this September all porducts sold are supposed to be compliant. By NEXT September (2023) pilots must be in compliance.
Though this is confusing as there are eventually supposed to be RemoteID modules so in theory almost ANY RC craft could be in compliance.

Last edited:
I was referring to any manufacturer that does or will limit flight.

I only expect this to increase as this September is when Remote-ID goes into effect.

I'm not so concerned abut DJI as they've been largely ahead of the curve in compliance.
I believe that through software most of thier existing craft (fingers crossed for the Phantom 3) will comply and therefore will still be able to be legally flown.

I'm most worried about all of my hobby craft. So far I haven't seen any retofit solution.
I thought by now we'd be seeing Remote-ID equipped receivers from the big manufacturers (Spektrum, FrSky etc.) or third-party modules to put in RC craft.

This year is going to be interesting.

EDIT: I had my dates wrong. By this September all porducts sold are supposed to be compliant. By NEXT September (2023) pilots must be in compliance.
Though this is confusing as there are eventually supposed to be RemoteID modules so in theory almost ANY RC craft could be in compliance.
Yes the initial NPRM standards had the options for RID …built in from mfg, add-on later, or fly at CBO field. But the add on models were at one time going to be disallowed after a couple of years.

Yes the initial NPRM standards had the options for RID …built in from mfg, add-on later, or fly at CBO field. But the add on models were at one time going to be disallowed after a couple of years.
Here's hoping that there will be add-on modules by next September.
Most of my planes are home-built and all are pre RID therefore none will have Remote-ID built in.

People are pretty innovative, I'm sure the RC manufactureres will come up with something.

Last edited:
Yes I feel your pain. I have probably 5 figures worth of kit/scratchbuilt multirotors, all from a time when responsible pilots knew how to operate. When I say 5 figures, the first digit is much closer to the second whole number by the way we count. 😳

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78