DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Care Fraud

Brad de Leon

Reactions
Fraud or incompetence. Help, I really need opinion from people who understand the drone registration process and flight logs. ...
Ok here is something new from DJI. A new low. Sent my replaced drone for my second repair/replacement under DJI Care. They sent me a bill for full replacement price because they say my serial number on the broken drone does not match their records. It WAS the replacement they sent to me after my first crash. This smells like a scam to avoid honouring the DJI care. Either they mixed up my unit in the repair assessment shop (honest mistake) or this is a fraudulent effort to cut costs.
I seem to remember having to re-register the replacement drone when I received it.
Can anyone confirm this and wouldn't the sn at the time be reregistered, also do the flight logs contained in your phone not have the serial number recorded? I would think so since they want to be able to track illegal flights for the FBI/CIA/NSA/ Homeland security.
DJI does not seem to want to investigate this at all.
They also want an obscene amount of money to ship my broken drone back to me.
Several scenarios, they recorded the sn of my replacement drone when they shipped it to me, they mixed up my drone with another in the receiving department when they received it last week
or they are lying.

Last edited:
Good job jumping right to accusations of fraud rather than just a screw-up because the numbers don't match.

You're probably going to have the be a squeaky wheel on this and push DJI, providing documentation along the way. But accusing them of fraud, at least in conversations with them, makes it easier for whoever you're talking to to not help.

If you had heard the conversation with them in which they accused me of lying right from the beginning. That tends to get my back up a bit but I did already revise my post to include several options. Was hoping for some help in proving serial number mix up from my registration after the first repair and or serial numbers embedded in my flight log data.
Part of the reason for my post was to warn people to verify serial numbers of original purchases and any replacements you receive to avoid this happening to anyone else.

wouldn't the sn at the time be reregistered

DJI has to do this manually, and sometimes they dont do it at all. You just have to be calm and explain to them, the original drone serial number on your Refresh contract is invalid, the drone they have is a Refresh replacement which should be on your original contract, and you would like an updated Refresh agreement emailed to you indicating the correct SN on the contracts of the 2nd and 3rd drones.

It's not a scam, just DJI incompetence and antiquated administration flow.

Drone sn that they received just now does not match the updated refresh contract the sent during the first replacement. Either they mis recorded the sn of the drone they sent out to me during the first replacement or they mixed up the drone they just received with another in the shop before they confirmed DJI care agreement.
They should be able to easily figure out the situation by tracking numbers in the shop, look for the drone sn that matches the replacement number. Thats why flight logs or the re-registration should be able to confirm but they are simply saying no. Making no effort to track anything. That is why I think there is something else going on here.
Hard to believe their database management is that bad given the sophistication of the drone software itself
Was seriously looking at the Inspire 2, now I just wish for some other manufacturer to get serious and develop competitive models.

Happy to take the abuse here but I was just looking for some help/expertise on if the serial number is imbedded in the on-line registration/authorization, and flight logs or not. They have closed the case and I am out one drone and remote as it stands right now. And of course I did not accuse them of fraud, just mentioned it here in the header. Not impossible.

Happy to take the abuse here but I was just looking for some help/expertise on if the serial number is imbedded in the on-line registration/authorization, and flight logs or not. They have closed the case and I am out one drone and remote as it stands right now. And of course I did not accuse them of fraud, just mentioned it here in the header. Not impossible.
If you felt I was abusing you, I apologize. I thought I was sympathizing.

Reactions: Former Member
I was just looking for some help/expertise on if the serial number is imbedded in the on-line registration/authorization, and flight logs or not

The SN is not embedded anywhere but on the core board of the drone itself and on the top cover and front right arm of the drone.

Keep up the good fight. You are the customer and the case is not closed until you get satisfaction. All they should be asking you for now is $129 for the second refresh and then send you a functioning drone back.

This is just and error on DJI's part for not transferring your refresh to the replacement drone, when I used this service they did transfer my refresh to the replaced drone with out any issues so I can without doubt confirm DJI are not defrauding you or scamming you just a simple error......

I'm stressed just by reading this post. Can't imagine what I'd be like if I was in your boots.

I would try again with kindness. I know it’s frustrating, but if you call and ask someone to help you. See if they can search the SN to see if they have a history of it as it had to come from their facility.

Thanks Jim: Went back and advised that the sn is embedded in the code of the re registration and in the flight logs.
Customer support is checking with database management but it looks good, this would prove that the unit they sent as first replacement is the one I sent back for repair now. There is hope.

I had this same problem. I sent DJI the circumstances and serial numbers of my prior Mavics with dates of occrrences. They researched it and promptly updated my DJI Care account to match what I currently had.

If you have this information, put it in an email. I find DJI responds better if you provide them information they can research on their end. We all know DJI is kind of weak in this area. So not keeping track of all communication and transactions with DJI is just not smart.

When I got by replacement, I had to call DJI customer service and add the new serial number to my DJI Care Refresh plan. It does not happen automatically, but it should.

The fact is DJI sends very often a other "refurbished" drone instead of the drone you returned for repair. I had to return my first Mavic under warranty for awful altimeter issues (not DJI Care, I had no crash). They sent me an e-mail saying that my Mavic will be repaired for free by changing the core board and that it will be returned to me soon. I bought this drone in November 2016, received it in January 2017, returned it in March 2017 and received it back "repaired" from DJI workshop next April. I don't remember why, but I had a look at the serial number of this so-called "fixed" drone and this number was different from the serial number I had registered at DJI (and at DJI Care !). After looking at the date of release corresponding to this serial number, I found that it was March 2017. Obviously not the same bird as the one I sent for repair which was released end September 2016.

I wondered whether this new drone was again covered by warranty and DJI Care and I called my retailer. Unfortunately it was not but my original drone they kept still was under its registered serial number.

What makes me crazy is DJI never told me that they had changed my Mavic for an other one. Their e-mail and the bill which was boxed with the drone both notified a replacement of the core board for free. Had I went directly to fly it and crashed, I had no longer warranty nor DJI Care for this drone.
A call to DJi confirmed it and after some pretty long and complicated process, I could eventually transfer registration, warranty and care to this new drone.

I'm interested in wondering why so many people still buy the dji care? I've heard nightmares about it. Why not state farm insurance? Is it international problems about dji care I'm reading or is it just people who don't know about state farms policy? Just seems like dji is a nightmare. Might be better then nothing but it's close. I don't mean to distract but it's crazy to hear all the complaints about care refresh but people still buy it.

Reactions: RSV4
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redrover61