DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI care pckg. update

rscheff

Reactions
This is an update about the DJI care refresh+ program. I recently posted that I sent my Mavic Mini back to DJI to be replaced under the insurance policy. Something was wrong with the gimbal and I was constantly getting a warning that the gimbal was overloading. I had heard some horror stories about taking months for a replacement and having to fight for the replacement. I spoke to a person, at DJI, via e-mail, and he said 7 to 10 days. Well I was pleasantly surprised, I got a brand new drone in exactly 10 days. Not only did I get a new drone but they went a little bit above and beyond. I had installed the motor dust covers (only $10) and I forgot to take them off. DJI took them off and sent them with the new drone. Kudos to DJI

My experiences with DJI have all been positive. Not sure if I’m just lucky, or just my expectations were reasonable. They have always been very responsive and followed through just as promised. I truly think they’re a good company, just overwhelmed at times. Most of the dissatisfied customer I read on here seem to expected miracles above and beyond other manufacturers warranty and service. I wouldn’t crash my vehicle and expect the dealership to replace it with a new one. 90% of the crashes I read about are usually traced out to pilot error or inexperience (including my own)!

Reactions: ckoerner
I found that the only way to get through was calling tech support. I tried calling the number for the DJI Care and refresh and I ended up on hold for a very long time and never did get the care and refresh people. I ended up talking to tech services. One person just transferred back to the care and refresh #. After another long wait I was again transferred to tech services, but this person helped me. So they do have contact issues, a recording blames it on Covid. I was initially dealing with someone through e-mail and he seemed a little confused. I was trying to use my Care and refresh policy which is actually an insurance and he kept telling me where to send it for repair. He eventually figured it out and apologized for causing confusion and then the process went smoothly.

Unfortunately care refresh is not available here and if it was I would need to take up scuba diving. But I found their customer service excellent and friendly, if a little slow. They sold me a new drone only and at 15% discount, which is reasonable. Couldn’t ship to Malaysia because of regulations but offered to ship to Singapore - which would have worked normally but Covid prevents travel at the moment. And so they organised the Malaysian distributor to pass on the discount. They in turn were brilliant, contacted me through WhatsApp and were fast.

Then again I was prepared to take responsibility so that might make a difference. And I would have bought the complete package had they not offered to sell only the aircraft. I was pleased to get the discount. I would have liked more but not every day is Christmas :D

Cheers, Paul

I am assuming you lost your drone in the ocean? I always fear flying over water. If you get too close to the water it wacks out the sensors. The same as flying over a new layer of snow. The same could happen if you are flying over a large freshly paved parking lot. The manual says that the sensors need contrast. I flew over fresh snow in my back yard and it went crazy, the only answer is to go up. Any way, I know you said you can't get the care and refresh insurance policy, don't know why, but you might want to check into a rider on house or renters insurance. I have heard some people on this forum got the insurance through their home policy. DJI now includes fly aways in their policy. You don't even have to have a drone to return.

Hi Rscheff, it was on takeoff over a lake. It’s in 70’ of water with visibility of only a metre or so. I’m going to try fishing it out with a strong magnet on a fishing line. It will give me something to do one evening instead of looking at the stars.
I suspect I managed to fit the props the wrong way around and on a hand takeoff it spun over. But I don’t know for sure and that’s really why I want to retrieve it.
I can’t even get my boats insured here so it’s unlikely I can get drone insurance. If it’s a frequent occurrence I’ll do something else instead. I don’t want to be DJis best customer.

Anyway I thought their service was pretty good. And the product is excellent. It’s the operator where the problem lies!

I don't know which drone you have. I have the mini and I have had it apart at least 3 times from crashing it and there is not much metal for a magnet to grab onto, it's mostly plastic and solder. At any rate if you do get it back I have some tips on maybe getting it to work again. I learned this from boating. I know a couple guys that sunk their boats and they recovered the motors using what they called "pickling". This would be easier done with a small drone but the difference is that an outboard has fuses, I don't think the drone does. Without fuses you have power going to critical circuit boards and they probably will get fried. I recovered a cell phone once doing this but it only lasted about 6 months before dyeing. This may sound counter intuitive but if you get the AC to the surface keep it in water, scoop it out with a bucket and don't let it get to air. Remove the battery while keeping it underwater. Keep it in the bucket and keep shaking it in the water to try and get any mud and sediment out, do this for at least a couple days. Then get several gallons of distilled water, lower the water in the bucket by syphoning it off until the drone is just under water. Start adding the distilled water while still shaking the drone and syphoning it off, always keep the drone under the liquid, its the introduction of air to the water and drone that will kill it. When you have gone through 4 or 5 gallons of distilled water to replace the lake water, you now introduce alcohol. You want to use a commercial grade alcohol with no water, I think it's called 200 proof or 100%. The alcohol will eventually dry up the water. After you think most of the water is gone (This is all guess work) then you remove the drone from the alcohol and let it dry for about a week. GOOD LUCK

Reactions: Paul Arden
THANK YOU!! :D

ok I will try this. The first thing to achieve is retrieving it. It’s a Mavic Air 2. I’ve just tested it on the replacement and the magnet I have gets a excellent hold of the outside of the propellor motor housings. If I can get close to one of those it will come up no problems.
When I watched it go down - wasn’t a great feeling to be honest - it looked like it descended straight. I tried retrieving it with an anchor but this didn’t work. There will almost no current down there. It can’t be in too large an area. How much structure is down there I can’t tell, but the anchor came up clean every time. Some silt but no snags.

I imagined I would get parts (and see if I’m right regards the props) but didn’t think there would be any chance of a resurrection. But if I can retrieve it I will follow your instructions to the letter!

I’ll shoot down there on Saturday evening and have a dig around. Cheers!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+