DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Care Refresh

MrBob1957

Reactions
I know I have to activate DJI Care Refresh within 48 hours of drone activation, but
does it matter if I go online and purchase DJI Care Refresh before I activate my Mavic Pro?

Thanks!

If it was me...I would not activate Refresh until I was sure that the Mavic works correctly. That way if you do need to return it you will not have Refresh paired with a defective unit.

If it was me...I would not activate Refresh until I was sure that the Mavic works correctly. That way if you do need to return it you will not have Refresh paired with a defective unit.
So then, if I bought Refresh today I should try out the drone first before pairing Refresh to the drone within 48 hours?

Good point. But do you think DJI will cover him under Refresh if he crashes before activation?

Good point. But do you think DJI will cover him under Refresh if he crashes before activation?
I can't find it but there is another thread here where someone crashed within 48 hours and then purchased Refresh and DJI honored it.

I am not saying to do much flying, just confirm that everything is working as it should.

I think it is rare but there have been instances of something (gimbal, camera, etc.) not working right out of the box and the unit had to be returned. If purchased at a dealer with a decent return policy you could simply exchange for another. It would save some grief if you then did not have to deal with DJI to get your Refresh transferred to the replacement.

Reactions: Former Member
So then, if I bought Refresh today I should try out the drone first before pairing Refresh to the drone within 48 hours?
That's how I would do it. Charge everything, perform all the updates and calibrations, then take it to an open field away from obstacles. Don't fly more than up, a quick figure eight, verify that the camera works properly, then back down. You can use the simulator in Go 4 to get a feel of the sticks before flying the real thing.

EDIT: I was thinking you would not buy Refresh before activating your Mavic. It is my understanding that the 48 hour clock starts upon Mavic activation. You then have that 48 hours to confirm it works properly before buying Refresh. You may also buy Refresh after 48 hours but you are then required to provide a video showing that it works (details on DJI site).

Reactions: MrBob1957
This is exactly the reason why I recommend people use both State Farm and Refresh. I wouldn't fly it for a moment without bound coverage, but thats just me and Murphys Law. :)

This is exactly the reason why I recommend people use both State Farm and Refresh. I wouldn't fly it for a moment without bound coverage, but thats just me and Murphys Law. :)
From the threads I have read, State Farm sounds like the better deal and I should have mentioned it. I do not know if it is available to MrBob.

Q: If I purchase the DJI Care Refresh (Canada) and activate it for a new Mavic, and then return the Mavic to a store for refund , will DJI refund me my care Refesh? Or If I later buy (say 1 month later) a brand new Mavic can I transfer the Care Refresh to this new Mavic?

In other words if I buy Care Refresh and a new Mavic (from a store, not DJI Direct) but end up returning the product, can my CRefresh be transferred to the new purchase or do I lose my Care Refresh coverage?

Thanks.

if I buy Care Refresh and a new Mavic (from a store, not DJI Direct) but end up returning the product, can my Refresh be transferred to the new purchase

DJI's Refresh terms are not very clear. On one web page it states that you can not transfer the service to another drone, it goes with the bird.

Here is DJI's Refresh web page Terms Of Service:

DJI Care Refresh - supported aircraft, scenarios, service process, FAQ and terms of service

1. DJI Care Refresh can be cancelled upon return of the product purchased, according to DJI refund policies.
2. DJI Care Refresh cannot be cancelled without returning the product purchased.
3. DJI Care Refresh cannot be transferred after purchase.

The following conflicting information is found on DJI's website at

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
online support
DJI Care Refresh

Transfer DJI Refresh.jpg

So, according to DJI, if your Mavic "flew away," you can bind the existing contract to a different Mavic. This might not apply if you simply return it.

Agreed: DJI's terms and FAQ's on this topic (and many others) are riddled with unclear statements and often misleading.

I will add a different twist to your interpretation of "So, according to DJI, if your Mavic "flew away," you can bind the existing contract to a different Mavic. This might not apply if you simply return it."

The FAQ question that this is based on ("Can I cancel DJI Care Refresh if my aircraft flew away?" is found in the FAQ section where DJI is answering cancellation questions in the context of 'returning product'. Their FAQ also is unclear as to whether the transfer of Care Refresh to a new Mavic applies to any return other than for product purchased via DJI Direct.

What their FAQ really MEANT to state - in the context of all their related info - is that "You may not cancel and receive a refund of Care Refresh if your aircraft flew away, only if the aircraft is returned for refund to the place of purchase may you also receive a refund for the associated Care Refresh.".

With that being said it would appear the only reasonable interpretation would be that since you may bind an existing contract to a different Mavic - so long as that Mavic is a brand new purchase...this must ALSO apply if you simply return one and replace with a new purchase as there is no difference. If this were not true then everyone who purchased Care Refresh at the same time as a new purchase, then returned that purchase, would be at a loss of the cost of their Care Refresh. So it would appear that you can transfer Care Refresh to another Mavic, so long as that other Mavic is a brand new one that was as a result of a qualified return.

DJI is confusing at the best of times, so the true interpretation of course will need to come from DJI directly..I am waiting their response to this. Was hoping someone had a direct interpretation from DJI, but thanks as your interpretation does provide hope that DJI is being logical in this.

so long as that Mavic is a brand new purchase...this must ALSO apply if you simply return one and replace with a new purchase as there is no difference.

Well thought out and logically interpreted post.

My only comment is that the decision of what "must ALSO apply" is always up to the discretion of DJI, and they are the judge, jury and executioner if it is left to them. Sometimes they are illogical, irrational, and confused about their own policies. I love their products, but their tech and customer support can be lacking.

Reactions: Mossiback
...My only comment is that the decision of what "must ALSO apply" is always up to the discretion of DJI, and they are the judge, jury and executioner if it is left to them. Sometimes they are illogical, irrational, and confused about their own policies. I love their products, but their tech and customer support can be lacking.
That's why I suggested the OP spend some of the 48 hour period to test the Mavic before purchasing Refresh. Getting DJI to transfer Refresh to a replacement or confirming that it was done is just one more hassle a new owner does not need.

You must activate your care refresh first before flying
You can purchase and activate refresh within 48 hours of activating your Mavic. If after 48 hours you can still purchase and activate refresh after sending DJI a video showing that it flys and is undamaged.

You can purchase and activate refresh within 48 hours of activating your Mavic. If after 48 hours you can still purchase and activate refresh after sending DJI a video showing that it flys and is undamaged.
I have 3 drones now on the refresh program I video is very intents and has quite a bit to do before thy will give it to you

My only comment is that the decision of what "must ALSO apply" is always up to the discretion of DJI, and they are the judge, jury and executioner if it is left to them. Sometimes they are illogical, irrational, and confused about their own policies. I love their products, but their tech and customer support can be lacking.

Agreed- DJI is the only valid interpreter- 'it would be crazy for their policy to not be understood this way' would have been better to say than "must ALSO apply". I was just using pure logic...you are so right about DJI being irrational and confused. Great product I agree (no one else is better IMO) and a support is a joke at best or at least incredibly variable. You can ask support a straight-up question like (of course tongue-in-cheek, but not at all far from the truth...): "If my Mavic explodes mid-flight, and disintegrates into the ocean, will the warranty cover this?", their response will be "We've analysed your flight data from the App and see multiple error codes that indicate some serious issues...however these can sometimes be caused by Signal Interferrence or your USB cable, so unfortunately this is pilot error or flight environment related." ; Followup reply: "But...my data file did not show any Signal Interference.".. DJI would reply "Sorry this happened, this is not the experience we would want you to have, but in accordance with our policy we require the drone to be returned to us and it does not matter what your App flight records indicate. Have a nice day.". :) :)

UPDATE: Well what do you know...the first logical reply I've received from DJI. Looks like YOU CAN DEFINITELY transfer your Care Refresh to a newly purchased new Mavic (or similar) so long as the original product was returned to the store (does not have to be DJI's own DJI Direct)....

quote from DJI today:
"Thank you for contacting DJI Care Customer Support.

In cases where you end up returning the product, we can transfer the plan only to a similar unit. Once you have received the new drone, please provide the following information:

- New Aircraft Body S/N
- Old Aircraft Body S/N
- Proof of return"

:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member