DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly 1.1.6 vs iPad mini 4 - too much?

RicGPDX

Reactions
I was wondering if anyone else had a problem running DJI Fly 1.1.6 on their iPad mini 4. I originally bought the mini for my Mavic Air and then moved up to a Mavic Air 2. I found a great clip extender so it works with the controller and have a great Hoodman setup. When I flew with the iPad after the last DJI Fly update, it brought the iPad to its knees, with constant notices to close applications because I was running out of memory and even with the display set to smooth, it couldn't keep up with the Air. After a while, it was getting to a point where the response was very slow.

It was great using the iPad. I do a lot of pro video kind of stuff and it helped me work with directors who wanted to call the shots while I flew. It looks like the mini may have to go to eBay, but before I went that route, I wanted to see if anyone else had the experience.

Thanks,
Ric

Turn off caching when recording, histogram and over expoosure warning

These settings slow it down .

Reactions: RicGPDX
Turn off caching when recording, histogram and over expoosure warning

These settings slow it down .

I'll try them a try, but I think I have caching off already. The clipping and histogram displays are pretty important to me but perhaps I can toggle them on and off. I'll report back. Thanks!

FYI,
I followed the advice on this site and the problems I had went away. I also found a very useful chart for comparing the performance of various mobile devices for use with DJI software, which includes screen brightness comparisons. (The mini 5 is only about 12% brighter than the 4.)

I'll put this in a separate post because it's off-topic, but I found a source of great hoods for both the iPhone and the iPad on eBay. They're much easier to use than the Hoodman I bought for the mini.

Ric

I've used these type of hoods for the Ipad Mini 4, as they are simple to put on

That's exactly what I bought, but through the manufacturer's eBay store. MUCH easier than the Hoodman. I got one for my iPhone 11 and have one for my mini on order now.

I was wondering if anyone else had a problem running DJI Fly 1.1.6 on their iPad mini 4.

I see you’ve resolved your problem but I thought it was worth pointing out that the latest version of the Fly all is 1.1.9.

I see you’ve resolved your problem but I thought it was worth pointing out that the latest version of the Fly all is 1.1.9.
Yep. I'm set to auto-update and sometimes lose track of the version numbering. I double-checked and am on 1.1.9. 1.1.x was a pretty significant feature update and that's when things bogged down for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N