DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly 1.2.2 compass indicator

I highly recommend watching this screen capture video showing the good old DJI Go 4 radar style indicator. It is self explaining. Just look how beautifully you can see everything easily, how the drone moves away and back from its flight.

As example I cut out the radar indicator on the final approach. You see the drone is slightly left from the pilot´s view, heading to the RC position. When you turn the RC, the whole display turns so you can easily aim the antennas at your aircraft. Simultaneously you see the inclination. Simple. I WANT THIS IN THE FLY APP. It worked fine for six years since the Phantom 3.

Zwischenablage-1.jpg

Reactions: Thomas B
Then I don't understand your comment "For drones like the Mavic series, the whole attitude indicator is just pointless" in post #16.
Go4 is used for earlier Mavics as well as Phantoms.
I meant a drone centric display is pointless for camera drones like Phantom and Mavic series. Racing drones are flown differently, mostly in modes similar to Atti or even manual, meaning no stabilization at all. There, the drone centric instrument makes sense. For our Mini 2, it´s just useless information at the expence of an once useful display.

Watch the video I posted. It´s hard not to fall in love with the Go 4 radar style display. The semicircle style indicator already was a step back, only displaying the semisphere in front of you. But the attitude indicator totally ruined it.

I totally agree the Go version is much better, but you did initially say it was useless, and seemed to infer to the attitude function, not the orientation function.

You were now apparently meaning one thing, but back then saying something quite different.

And I'm not so sure how valuable a radar style AC centric orientation indicator would be to an FPV pilot without relevant references. They're more interested in orientation to the objects in front of their AC.

Reactions: André Di Urechia
I totally agree the Go version is much better, but you did initially say it was useless, and seemed to infer to the attitude function, not the orientation function.

You were now apparently meaning one thing, but back then saying something quite different.

And I'm not so sure how valuable a radar style AC centric orientation indicator would be to an FPV pilot without relevant references. They're more interested in orientation to the objects in front of their AC.
I think I´ve expressed myself in a way that could be easily misunderstood. To make it clear, I´d better state what ingredients of an indicator I consider to be essential:

- pilot (RC) centric display, automatically rotating according to RC heading relative to aircraft
- proportional AC distance visible in display for at least a mile range.
- symmetrical radar style display, not only showing front of the pilot, but also rear
- AC orientation relative to RC visible

Optional goodies:

- attitude indication (centerline or horizon style)
- motor power (percent or RPM) on outer circle like in DJI Go 4 sport mode

To make it perfect:

- wind direction indicator (easily feasible, as AC knows ground speed and inclination, so wind is easy to calculate

Who knows Go 4 will recognize almost all features of its display described. With just the wind direction indicator added, it would be perfect.

I have about a half dozen hours on my Mini 2, my first drone. I find the "compass indicator", "drone attitude" indicator, whatever you want to call it, completely useless. When I have VLOS on the drone, the indicator is frequently telling me lies about where it is and which way it's pointing.

Reactions: TommyP
I have about a half dozen hours on my Mini 2, my first drone. I find the "compass indicator", "drone attitude" indicator, whatever you want to call it, completely useless. When I have VLOS on the drone, the indicator is frequently telling me lies about where it is and which way it's pointing.
The reason is your phone is susceptible to the magnetic parts in the remote control. You either need to use a phone mount or have the RC degaussed. It´s not a software related issue. All display styles will be affected by it.

Be careful when you buy a phone holder as most of them also contain metal parts like springs and metal rods, it will ruin your compass reading in the same way.

Here is how degaussing a RC looks like. Your old school TV workshop may still have such equipment. After treating the RC with the degausser, your compass will show perfectly where your drone actually is.

IMG_20210120_232647.jpgIMG_20210120_232611.jpg

I do not have Go 4 but looking at it here, its compass indicator makes more sense.

More functional and easier to understand.

I agree that this should have been the one they integrated with the Fly App.

The reason is your phone is susceptible to the magnetic parts in the remote control. You either need to use a phone mount or have the RC degaussed. It´s not a software related issue. All display styles will be affected by it.

Be careful when you buy a phone holder as most of them also contain metal parts like springs and metal rods, it will ruin your compass reading in the same way.

Here is how degaussing a RC looks like. Your old school TV workshop may still have such equipment. After treating the RC with the degausser, your compass will show perfectly where your drone actually is.

View attachment 122374View attachment 122375
If it's not software related, how do we explain that some people have it only after software upgrade? And some people with SC have it while some don't?

Reactions: TommyP
For what it's worth...

Between work and weather, I haven't been able to fly. I did get the chance to do a little flying between rainstorms this weekend. With Fly app 1.2.2 my compass indicator was off as discussed previously. Updated to 1.2.4. It appeared that indicator was correct this time. However flight was short and close and it was tough to see the pointer with the homepoint in the way.

For what it's worth, I have 1.2.4 on my mini2 using the Samsung Galaxy S7, and a tablet holder. Just placing the phone in landscape position on the tablet holder moves the compass 40-60 degrees.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure