DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly 1.4.12-1430+ LOG Storage Location

eEridani

Reactions
Anyone know where DJI Fly 1.4.12 is now storing flight logs ?

Curtesy of Zbip57 something like Phone/Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/FlightRecord etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except they aren't there ... lol.

I've done a full search of the internal memory for any .TXT files, and the flights I've done today aren't there. Rebooted the controller, etc. If I connect to the drone and "sync" data the logs appear in DJI Fly, but are only accessible on the controller while the drone is connected, and aren't in any controller folders, and they disappear when the drone is shut down.

Probably a Smart Controller bug. But DJI is telling me since they can't see the logs my Smart Controller warranty is null... lol. So my SC compass issue is my problem.

Oh well - so much for using FlightReader and Air Data.

Cheers,

Tim

Reactions: LacklusterLeopard
There is at least one other thread in here discussing their whereabouts under 4.12 and the OP of that thread found the logs in a place with a path similar to the one I posted. I couldn't find that thread which is why I posted Zbip57's path.
Maybe, as you suggest, it is an SC quirk but some of the behaviour you describe is reminiscent of the way the DJI FPV set up behaves.
'There' the logs do not get transferred, to a phone that is attached (via cable) to the goggles, UNTIL the drone is switched on and connected (via radio) to the goggles. I wonder if this is more than coincidence?
BudWalker? describes the FPV procedure in a post in here and it is that that I followed to get the logs for my FPV. But it did seem to me that new logs did not appear on the phone until the connection (or maybe switch on etc. of all the equipment) AFTER the one in which the logs were 'created' but I was still trying to figure things out at that point and was only flying one test flight then switching everything off etc. and going back to the manual. Then I would make the next test etc. etc.

Curtesy of Zbip57 something like Phone/Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/FlightRecord etc.

This is using the Mini-1's standard controller and latest Fly App running on my Android phone. The log files are in this folder on my phone. TXT files are in FlightRecord, and DAT files are in MCDatFlightRecords.

Galaxy S9/Phone/Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/FlightRecord/MCDatFlightRecords

I have no idea how the Smart Controller operates or where it stores files.

Others have reported that if you have auto-sync enabled in the app, the log files get deleted from the app after they've been uploaded to the cloud. But then DJI should have access to them there, no?

On my Smart Controller, with 1.4.12-1430, logs were NOT in that location. The folder SC/Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/FlightRecord doesn't even exist, or, is specifically hidden from the controller and a PC.

I reverted to 1.4.8 and the folder location in the DJI/dji.go.v5/files/FlightRecord path returned, and logs are back.

On my Smart Controller, with 1.4.12-1430, logs were NOT in that location. The folder SC/Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/FlightRecord doesn't even exist, or, is specifically hidden from the controller and a PC.

I reverted to 1.4.8 and the folder location in the DJI/dji.go.v5/files/FlightRecord path returned, and logs are back.
Like I said, that's where they are on my Android phone. It's highly unlikely there would be any folder similarly named "Android" on an Apple phone running iOS. And since I have no idea what kind of operating system runs on the DJI smart controller, I cannot tell you anything about where the log files may be located on that. Other than searching the entire folder structure for anything ending in ".dat" or ".txt", I have no suggestions.

A DJI Smart Controller is an Android device.

And - yes, I did an exhaustive search for anything that looked like flight logs. They are effectively hidden on the SC.

There is one other quirk I have noticed with the fly app. With a clean install of the app a lot of the file structure seems to be in place immediately after the install BUT the FlightRecord folder and its subfolder are NOT, or at least they are not visible to a Windows computer.
However they do appear once a flight has been flown. I have not checked to see if it is actually connecting the drone that triggers their creation but thinking about it I suppose it might be.

Since the quoted file structure seems new I am wondering if something similar applies/happens with the SC? But I would wonder why old logs would be invisible and where they where 'hidden'.

Does Android have the ability to change file and or directory permissions such that a file and or directory is invisible to a class of user?

I wonder just how many flights it takes for said structure to appear? 10 flights over a week or more didn't do it in my case. And I also had about 50 SC reboots in that time, too.

When I returned to 1.4.8, it did take one reboot after the install for things to get back to normal.

Pretty confident this Air 2 / SC is my first and last DJI product. Especially since DJI is now telling me they won't honor my warranty because they couldn't find flight logs on the Smart Controller, either.

I wonder just how many flights it takes for said structure to appear?
1 or 2 for me but that was with a normal controller and phone.
If I connect to the drone and "sync" data the logs appear in DJI Fly, but are only accessible on the controller while the drone is connected, and aren't in any controller folders,
whilst accessible have you tried your search to see if you can find their location and or have you tried to copy them to the mSD card?
I am also wondering if it would be possible to connect the SC to a computer whilst the SC is connected to the drone etc. but you would need to research that to see if it is advisable.
If it sync'ed surely that means copies of the logs have been uploaded to the DJI computers, does it not?

The .TXT files never appear when running 1.4.12-1430 (or 1420 for that matter).

I just confirmed over the phone with DJI tech support I am not the only DJI Smart Controller having this missing log file issue. And I am also not the only person having the corrupt compass heading issue. And, yes, the lack of log files is why they won't offer assistance to find out why.

Maybe it's a translation issue. Is it just me, or does not helping to find a bug because the bug prevents their normal diagnostic procedure seem wrong?

Precisely what logs are DJI seeking in order for them to investigate the "compass issue"?

Is the "compass issue" specific to one version of the Fly app?
If not and it is seen in more than one version of the Fly app can you install a Go4 and see if the compass issue occurs with that?
If so does Go4 generate the logs that DJI need?
I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA if you need a connection to a drone in order for your compass issue to occur so excuse me if the latter suggestion is rubbish.

Or is it something that is, if possible, evident without even running an app?

If you can, disable syncing.
If you can not disable syncing in the App can you switch the SC's wifi off? If not then switch off the wifi in your home or kick the SC off your home network.
Then fly a flight using 1.4.8 then look to see if you have the .txt & DAT logs for the flight.

1.4.8 works as expected, logs available. Compass issue wasn't there until the 1.4.12 fiasco.
1.4.12 started the compass fiasco. But also has this log problem.

I requested help for 1.4.12 compass issue (prior to flights on 1.4.12 and thus not knowing of the log issue). I informed DJI have autosync enabled and DJI confirmed they could see my logs on my account. A week later (after actual flights on 1.4.12) they inform me they can't find my logs and therefore until I produce the logs they will not continue working on the issue.

The implication that bothers me most is if they can't find the logs and my drone flies into the sunset due to some software flaw they'll use this "missing log" excuse to deny my DJI Refresh claim.

The drone is going onto a shelf until some later date, trying to decide if I should just dump the drone onto some unsuspecting DJI fan boy.

From what you have said in post #14 it seems to me that the compass issue is a software issue and not a warranty issue as such.
Also, if DJI have lost a set of logs would not a reinstall and use of, 4.12, generate a new set of logs?
BACK your exist logs up before the reinstall, then they are available to you whatever the peculiarities of 4.12.

Earlier you did say "the logs appear in DJI Fly, but are only accessible on the controller while the drone is connected," which I take to meas 4.12 logs, am I mistaken? If not, with syncing off and the drone connected, could you not see if you can back up 4.12 logs, as suggested above, before syncing them.

Alternatively if you can back them up, send copies to DJI via email rather than sync?

All the above said, if 4.8 works for you and 4.12 does not, why bother with 4.12, just stick with 4.8 and save yourself a lot of irritation etc..
I would love to get the 'artifical horizon' of 1.2 and later but, for me, they screw up the logs and there was disconnection issue with the 1.2's that I tried, so I reconciled my self to using pre 1.2's with my Mavic Minis, no stress and they work perfectly well 'artificial horizon' aside.

Here's what DJI sent me:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your patience.

This is Honey from the Technical Support team, and I will be assisting you in this case from now on for related inquiries about data analysis.

This email is regarding your open case: CAS-XXXXXXX-XXXXXX. Unit’s flight controller data is missing/unavailable. Due to a lack of flight records, we could not determine if your case is to be covered under warranty. We are unable to determine issue with app records only. We recommend to send in the unit for further data analysis.

Please be advised that if there are no flight records available, an invoice with the repair fee will be sent to your email.

Should there be any inquiries, please let us know.
Best Regards,
Honey
DJI Technical Support

Again - the folder that holds flight logs in .TXT format is HIDDEN in 1.4.12.1430. Logs are 100% unfindable in File Manager and when connecting to the drone via USB to a Windows box. It also seems it has corrupted the logs I AutoSync to DJI servers (which another agent said were there - that detail is in my CHAT history with them).

Reverting to 1.4.8.1185 recovered the .TXT log files on my side, DJI is still having problems locating them.

The compass issue might be software, or it might be in the firmware, or it might be in the hardware. Today I spoke with a DJI tech who indicated to me the Smart Controller has a KNOWN issue with compass, and worse, missing log files is a KNOWN issue on the Smart Controller.

Anyway - I don't dare fly the drone because pretty sure DJI will use this lost file nonsense to deny a Refresh claim, if I had one.

Ok, what about getting a second hand std controller then? They sell on ebay UK from about £40/$55USD upwards, that's completed auctions that were successful, not asking prices.

I have one - but my phones are all 400-500 nits, not bright enough to be useful. And, the entire claptrap process to use a phone was why I went with the smart controller. Even the idea of flying a drone is sort of a red line right now. I feel like I wasted a bunch of money buying DJI. It's why the drone is now shelved.

the folder that holds flight logs in .TXT format is HIDDEN in 1.4.12.1430. Logs are 100% unfindable in File Manager and when connecting to the drone via USB to a Windows box.
Forgive me if this seems obvious and you already know it, but have you enabled your Windows Explorer or File Manager to view "hidden" folders and files?

In WIndows Explorer click the "View" tab at the top and confirm whether "Hidden Items" is checked or not.

If mine is left unchecked, for example, I can see only these three Users folders on my computer's hard drive.
Hidden.jpg

But if I checkmark the "Hidden Items" box, and restart Windows Explorer, now I can see several previously "Hidden" folders. These folders and their contents are now searchable, whereas they were completely hidden beforehand.
View-hidden.jpg

The DJI log folders on my Android phone are not marked as "Hidden" in either case. I don't know why that should be any different on the Smart Controller also running on Android.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman