DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly App compatability with Ipad Mini

Jackthehat

Reactions
Hi,

I'm Bob and this is my first post. I have recently bought my first drone (Mavic Mini) which I think is a great drone for beginners. I am using it with my Iphone and everything is working well. Like many others I am now considering buying a bigger screen - Ipad Mini 3 or 4 - but am rather confused by the sometimes conflicting advice being offered on relevant posts. I do not want to be a pain here by covering what, for you guys, is perhaps 'old ground', but could anyone offer me good advice on the following points:

1. Will any Ipad Mini handle the DJI Fly App in exactly the same way as the Iphone and, if not, what are the limitations?

2. I'm thinking about Ipad Mini 3 or 4 as I will only be using it for the drone. Is this the right way to go or, taking into account any Ipad Mini limitations. is it best just to stick with the Iphone?

3. I understand that a cellular Ipad is preferred but would I need a sim card?

4. Will the Ipad Mini receive cached videos same as Iphone?

5. Can the Ipad Mini be used to edit footage using DJI Fly App?

6. Would need longer usb-lightning cable. Best place to buy?

7. Taking all the above into account - is it really a good idea to change from using the Iphone?

Any advice or guidance on this would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

Hi,

I'm Bob and this is my first post. I have recently bought my first drone (Mavic Mini) which I think is a great drone for beginners. I am using it with my Iphone and everything is working well. Like many others I am now considering buying a bigger screen - Ipad Mini 3 or 4 - but am rather confused by the sometimes conflicting advice being offered on relevant posts. I do not want to be a pain here by covering what, for you guys, is perhaps 'old ground', but could anyone offer me good advice on the following points:

1. Will any Ipad Mini handle the DJI Fly App in exactly the same way as the Iphone and, if not, what are the limitations?
2. I'm thinking about Ipad Mini 3 or 4 as I will only be using it for the drone. Is this the right way to go or, taking into account any Ipad Mini limitations. is it best just to stick with the Iphone?

7. Taking all the above into account - is it really a good idea to change from using the Iphone?

Bob

Hi,

ONLY Mini 4 and current, see #5 below.
See above, the larger screen if needed is great. See #5 below.
No Sim needed for GPS Function. You can hotspot from phone if you need to load maps, so no, I have been using a iPad for 5 years flying DJI and never had sim in.
Yes.
Apple is Apple, the App is the same App :p
Normally yes, hundreds on Amazon.
That's up to you and all above.

Bob
Your welcome :) See "red" above.

Last edited:
I was in your shoes about a month ago. I'm new to quad copters aka drones as well and had most of the same questions you have. I was using the galaxy s7 cell phone that is on the approved list of devices dji recommends. I wanted something larger but couldn't get clear info on what to use. I researched and found the consensus was that the ipad mini was a safe way to go. I ended up pulling the trigger on the ipad mini 5 off of amazon. I also got the lightning to dji's micro usb connector cable and the ipad mini holder that fits into the mavic mini controller. I use my cell phone as a hot spot for internet connectivity to the ipad mini when I'm away from my home. I'm happy with the ipad mini and haven't found any compatibility issue at all. There are better alternatives and many other possible hardware setups that can work better I suppose. I'll post links to the hardware I have that works for me.

ipad

cable

ipad holder

20210214_114913.jpg
Image6.jpg
Pay no attention to the parabolic signal booster antennas... I put them on for testing purposes. ; )
Image2.jpg
Image1.jpg

Reactions: eaglesurfing
Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Please share your pictures, videos and knowledge about your drones.

ONLY Mini 4 and current, see #5 below.

See above, the larger screen if needed is great. See #5 below.

No Sim needed for GPS Function. You can hotspot from phone if you need to load maps
, so no, I have been using a iPad for 5 years flying DJI and never had sim in.

Yes.

Apple is Apple, the App is the same App :p

Normally yes, hundreds on Amazon.

That's up to you and all above.

Your welcome :) See "red" above.
Hi and thanks for taking the time to offer welcome advice. Some good pointers to help me progress.

I was in your shoes about a month ago. I'm new to quad copters aka drones as well and had most of the same questions you have. I was using the galaxy s7 cell phone that is on the approved list of devices dji recommends. I wanted something larger but couldn't get clear info on what to use. I researched and found the consensus was that the ipad mini was a safe way to go. I ended up pulling the trigger on the ipad mini 5 off of amazon. I also got the lightning to dji's micro usb connector cable and the ipad mini holder that fits into the mavic mini controller. I use my cell phone as a hot spot for internet connectivity to the ipad mini when I'm away from my home. I'm happy with the ipad mini and haven't found any compatibility issue at all. There are better alternatives and many other possible hardware setups that can work better I suppose. I'll post links to the hardware I have that works for me.

ipad

cable

ipad holder

View attachment 123841
View attachment 123842
Pay no attention to the parabolic signal booster antennas... I put them on for testing purposes. ; )
View attachment 123843
View attachment 123844
Thanks for your quick response. Things are now becoming clearer. Photos are very helpful.

As a Canadian, I had a tough time finding local cables, so had to experiment. I found what is probably the most accessible on demand solution is any "full size" USB Female to Micro USB Male OTG cable, paired with any MFI Certified (aka Apple approved) "Normal" USB to Lightning cable works. I repurposed a 12" Amazon Basics ios Cable I had for charging my phone while riding my ebike, and the extra cable does not get in the way, but if you have a longer cable it would be easy to address with a twist tie , velcro, or a zip tie. Best of luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7