DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly Doesn't Show Relative Drone Position

The RM500, aka Smart Controller, the compass or interface is seriously broken and never points correctly. Someone has hypothesized the SC firmware is responsible. I've returned my SC for DJI to look at and they returned a new SC, that has the exact same problem. Of course, they claim both SC's don't have any issue and ignore my questions and evidence the controller dot arrow is not working correctly.

Loading a compass app is one way to show the issue. On the SC, a compass app always shows 90 degrees off ... point the SC north and the compass app reports 90 off north. And, calibrating the compass does nothing to help.

A few images showing the issue.

View attachment 145579
View attachment 145580

View attachment 145578

You must be the person I was thinking of that dug into this issue. My SC behaves the same. I always know on the ground what general direction I'm in so I move the controller around to get the small triangle green rather than focus on the position of it. It would be nice if it was fixed, but since it's consistent it can be dealt with.

OK, I'm using the Smart Controller, not the Pro version, and I don't get the triangle to point to the drone or turn green. I've calibrated the compass in the Smart Controller, as well as the MA2, but no joy. Not near metal when calibrating, full battery, 12 satellites, drone 200 feet away, HP and my position 50 feet apart. Just doesn't want to point to the drone. I get the blue triangle, but no matter which direction I turn away from the drone the triangle doesn't point to it. Is it possible to pair the drone with my iphone, but control it with the SC?, as a test to see if I can get the triangle to point.

Watching these videos explaining the functionality of the compass, I've noticed that the small triangle never turns green even when pointing at the drone. It could be that the "turning green" feature was added later on. I know they optimized some things after the feature was initially added. So make sure you are running the current version of DJI Fly.

Watching these videos explaining the functionality of the compass, I've noticed that the small triangle never turns green even when pointing at the drone. It could be that the "turning green" feature was added later on. I know they optimized some things after the feature was initially added. So make sure you are running the current version of DJI Fly.
I believe DJI changed the behavior from always blue to color graded sometime after DJI Fly 1.4. What makes this really frustrating is I also recall the indicator working properly at some point, but wasn't watching the version numbers closely. Then the issue most APK sites aren't keeping SC or MA2 firmware revisions.

Any hope for DJI to recognize and fix the issue waned after I read reports of the issue from weeks after the release; and now that there is a new SC Pro, it seems even less likely DJI will spend time on the issue.

Reactions: maggior
Hey folks, I was just scrolling through settings, and found something I need verification on.

In the Smart Controller settings, under location, what is your setting? Are you using High Accuracy or GPS Only?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121