DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI FPV Goggles vs. DJI RE Goggles

bzmot

Reactions
Hi guys,

I know this is a Mavic forum but bear with me. I have had a Mavic 2 Zoom for quite some time and I love flying it. But I've been thinking of trying fpv/cinematic drone for a while now. Recently, an opportunity presented itself when the French drone maker SteadyWhoop came up with their Smooth Vortex model, a ready made drone, saving me the effort needed to build one. It works with DJI FPV Goggles. Now, I also had my heart set on the DJI Goggles Racing Edition for my Mavic. Is there any way to get only one pair of goggles that would work with both drones? I believe the RE goggles have some analog transmission support designed to work with racer drones but being a complete radio technology idiot, I have no idea if they would work with CineWhoop. Anyone could help?

Hi guys,

I know this is a Mavic forum but bear with me. I have had a Mavic 2 Zoom for quite some time and I love flying it. But I've been thinking of trying fpv/cinematic drone for a while now. Recently, an opportunity presented itself when the French drone maker SteadyWhoop came up with their Smooth Vortex model, a ready made drone, saving me the effort needed to build one. It works with DJI FPV Goggles. Now, I also had my heart set on the DJI Goggles Racing Edition for my Mavic. Is there any way to get only one pair of goggles that would work with both drones? I believe the RE goggles have some analog transmission support designed to work with racer drones but being a complete radio technology idiot, I have no idea if they would work with CineWhoop. Anyone could help?
The DJI FPV Goggles are using a digital transmission protocol which is optimised for racing drones with low latency. It is not compatible to Ocusync as used for various Mavic and newer P4 models.
In contrast, the DJI RE Goggles are using the Ocusync protocol and in addition have a built-in analog receiver for traditional analog video which is not compatible with the digital protocol as used with the FPV Goggles.
So actually we have a bad situation, two types of goggles which are not interoperable.
Means, if you want goggles for your Mavic 2 then buy the RE version, if you want goggles for a copter equipped with DJIs digital video system, then buy the FPV Goggles.
I hope that DJI will offer an improved version of their FPV goggles later this year which will combine both of their digital protocols in one product (and hopefully also offer support for traditional analog video as well).

Holy crap, that is indeed a pickle! Thanks for all the info, I’ll hold out waiting for DJI to come up with some dual use product!

The DJI FPV Goggles are using a digital transmission protocol which is optimised for racing drones with low latency. It is not compatible to Ocusync as used for various Mavic and newer P4 models.
In contrast, the DJI RE Goggles are using the Ocusync protocol and in addition have a built-in analog receiver for traditional analog video which is not compatible with the digital protocol as used with the FPV Goggles.
So actually we have a bad situation, two types of goggles which are not interoperable.
Means, if you want goggles for your Mavic 2 then buy the RE version, if you want goggles for a copter equipped with DJIs digital video system, then buy the FPV Goggles.
I hope that DJI will offer an improved version of their FPV goggles later this year which will combine both of their digital protocols in one product (and hopefully also offer support for traditional analog video as well).

Hi, super new to this .. so probably a silly question but seems a bit hard to find the answer to; is the Mavic Air compatible with the DJI FPV Goggles? Not 100% sure exactly what Ocusync is. Any help would be greatly appreciated =]

Hi, super new to this .. so probably a silly question but seems a bit hard to find the answer to; is the Mavic Air compatible with the DJI FPV Goggles? Not 100% sure exactly what Ocusync is. Any help would be greatly appreciated =]

Ocusync is a protocol for high sync high definition video transmission in real time. The FPV goggles use a different protocol, they won't work. They are for racing quads so forget those.
For the Mavic Pro - which does use the Ocusync - or the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom (which use the upgraded Ocusync V2) you'll want DJI Goggles. They come in white (standard edition) or black (Racing Edition). The latter have supposedly lower latency (less video transmission lag) but are more expensive. Same goes for Mavic Air. Except for the Air you'll need a cable, while the Mavic Pro family can connect to those goggles (standard and Racing) wirelessly. I hope that answers your questions.

Reactions: krxyk
Ocusync is a protocol for high sync high definition video transmission in real time. The FPV goggles use a different protocol, they won't work. They are for racing quads so forget those.
For the Mavic Pro - which does use the Ocusync - or the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom (which use the upgraded Ocusync V2) you'll want DJI Goggles. They come in white (standard edition) or black (Racing Edition). The latter have supposedly lower latency (less video transmission lag) but are more expensive. Same goes for Mavic Air. Except for the Air you'll need a cable, while the Mavic Pro family can connect to those goggles (standard and Racing) wirelessly. I hope that answers your questions.

Just to clarify, the FPV Goggles are only useful if you want to build a drone and aren't compatible with their own drones?

Hahhaa that's quite confusing. Ok, thanks for your time! I was plan on getting a Mavic Air for video/exploring purposes and to learn, but I DEFINITELY want to get the FPV goggles for once I'm ready to take on racing. Would you advise maybe starting with another drone? I'm just concerned about flight times.

Reactions: bzmot
Hahhaa that's quite confusing. Ok, thanks for your time! I was plan on getting a Mavic Air for video/exploring purposes and to learn, but I DEFINITELY want to get the FPV goggles for once I'm ready to take on racing. Would you advise maybe starting with another drone? I'm just concerned about flight times.

They're gonna have to be different goggles I'm afraid. One pair for a Mavic and another for a racer drone. DJI might come up with a system that combines all of these later on but when that will happen is anyone's guess.
Not sure what you mean by flight times there.
Mavic will do nothing to prepare you for the racing. Speaking from experience here :)
I'm only just starting with fpv so can't advise you there but you may wanna go on droneracingpilots.com for more tips about that.

Mind that a new Mavic Air (V2) is expected to come out in about 10 days so you may wanna hold out if a Mavic is what you want.

The DJI FPV only work with racing drones.
The RE goggles work with DJI drones and racing type FPV drones.
The white DJI goggles only work with DJI drones.

The RE (and the white goggles) can be used with Spark, Air, and even (from a recent other post) the Mini, using a cable.

If using with a cable, you can only run the goggles . . . while if you have an ocusync drone, you can use a usual viewing device and goggles same time . . . great to give someone the FPV pilot seat while you fly.

Exactly. If I were gonna add one thing it's that the Racing Edition Goggles will work on some FPV quads, those that use analog transmission for their video feed. The RE Goggles will not work with a quad that uses digital transmission for its video. Then it will only be compatible with the DJI FPV goggles (or many other non-DJI goggles). Analog is reported to have longer range but supposedly higher latency so the choice is up to you when you build your quad.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redcircle