DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI FPV one hot motor

PeteTheJack

Reactions
I know it's not a Mavic, but earlier this evening I was flying an FPV for a few minutes and when it returned, one of the motors was so hot it burned the hand of my pal who picked it up. The other three motors were just warm. I wonder if it might have been something obstructing the cooling or a dodgy bearing which was on the brink of seizure. My pal is going to do some tests with it hovering tomorrow to see if the problem returns.

Does anyone else have any ideas or have similar experience with other DJI drones?

I'm going to send him a link and hopefully he'll sign up.

Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
Connect a phone, with the fly app installed on it, to the goggles.
Boot everything and let the phone download the flight logs.
Check to see if there are DAT fight logs on the phone, there should be. If so see if CsvView can read those DATs. If so you should find individual motor currents.

I have just checked my logs and the motor currents are available BUT all those logs are prior the most recent and regretted firmware update, I haven't downloaded logs since that update so I don't know if the DATs are still readable.

If you haven't updated the firmware I suggest that YOU SWITCH THE PHONE'S WIFI AND DATA ETC. OFF BEFORE YOU CONNECT THE PHONE TO THE GOGGLES.
Unfortunately I had wifi on and the app checked for updates, found there was one and I could not dismiss the update-notification/instal-notice and was forced to update the drone and controller.

Reactions: PeteTheJack
I know it's not a Mavic, but earlier this evening I was flying an FPV for a few minutes and when it returned, one of the motors was so hot it burned the hand of my pal who picked it up. The other three motors were just warm. I wonder if it might have been something obstructing the cooling or a dodgy bearing which was on the brink of seizure. My pal is going to do some tests with it hovering tomorrow to see if the problem returns.

Does anyone else have any ideas or have similar experience with other DJI drones?

I'm going to send him a link and hopefully he'll sign up.
I flew all 5 of my batteries today, wish I had seen this question before I did. I don't think I've ever touched the motors after flying to see if they're hot or not. 🤷‍♂️

Connect a phone, with the fly app installed on it, to the goggles.
Boot everything and let the phone download the flight logs.
Check to see if there are DAT fight logs on the phone, there should be. If so see if CsvView can read those DATs. If so you should find individual motor currents.

I have just checked my logs and the motor currents are available BUT all those logs are prior the most recent and regretted firmware update, I haven't downloaded logs since that update so I don't know if the DATs are still readable.

If you haven't updated the firmware I suggest that YOU SWITCH THE PHONE'S WIFI AND DATA ETC. OFF BEFORE YOU CONNECT THE PHONE TO THE GOGGLES.
Unfortunately I had wifi on and the app checked for updates, found there was one and I could not dismiss the update-notification/instal-notice and was forced to update the drone and controller.
Thanks for the heads up, I never thought of doing that.

I just had an update from him. It failed to start this morning and returned an ESC error so he's sending it to a repair shop. He also said he'd flown it into some shrubbery so I have a feeling there may have been something wound around the motor. Quote "it was making a funny sound". :)

If it hasn't cooked the ESC he could try blowing the motor out with compressed air or vacuuming it or slipping a sliver of paper between the rotor's bore and the stator's poles and the turn the rotor by hand, to see if any of those displace any debris in the motor.
Remove the mSD card if the drone is going back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000