DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI FPV or Mavic Air 2?

i'm thinking of selling my near-new MA2 with all of the accessories to switch to the FPV... once I get enough posts to post in the Classified section.

If I want to do photos ... i want the better camera of the Mavic 2 Pro (or enterprise level with a full-frame camera mounted). - if I want FPV (i do - i use Litchi to use FPV in my MA2) - it seems like the FPV is a more logical choice.

Reactions: NG Wildman
I have a MA2, In my opinion it depends on what you want to-do, myself while "free style" flying is fun I'd still rather have a MA2 for the things it can do that a FPV cannot do quite the same.

Tldr: Get the FPV if you want a free style just fly for fun, get the MA2 if you are more creative and want smooth photo and video. However from recent reviews i've seen the DJI fpv isn't the greatest so do your research before purchasing if you go that route.

a MA2 for the things it can do that a FPV cannot do quite the same.
What would those be? if you don't mind me asking? the only advantage I see to the MA2 over Mavic Pro is the size. and I guess length of flight. What do you do with your MA2?

If you are use to flying a FPV then go for it. Also if you have extra money laying to repair it, then go for it.
Remember the parts are not going to be available like other FPV.
For me I would go for MA2.

Good question! I have an MA2 and an Mini 2 now. I’d been saving for the mythical Mavic 3 but am now tempted by the FPV because of the immersive flying experience of FPV is intriguing. I don’t understand the legal restrictions (United States) of flying FPV with googles - because one can’t see the drone with googles in place I’m assuming a completely legal flight protocol would require an observer to watch the drone while it was piloted by a second person.

Howard

Hi Howard,

You’re my drone ownership twin Howard (except I have the mini 1). I think I’m going to continue to save for the mythical Mavic 3. It’s just not going to be likely I have a VO often enough to justify the FPV.

Any one know of any new Mavic 3 release date rumors? I can entertain myself with those in the meantime. Lol.

Roger

If you only get to keep one drone, would you choose the DJI FPV? or the Mavic Air 2?
I have the Mini 2, Air 2 and FPV. If I had to choose one, I'd choose the Air 2 all day long. Easier to fly, more opportunities to earn money, long flight time and has the most features. The FPV drone is great fun, fast, extreme and difficult to fly in manual (acro) mode unless you are experienced. Air 2, build up to the rest ??

Reactions: Howard70
If you only get to keep one drone, would you choose the DJI FPV? or the Mavic Air 2?
This is a question of your level of skill in flying drones.

These two types do not compete with each other - they are designed for providing completely different purposes and operator experiences.

DJI is a clever company: one actually would like to have both!

In my humble opinion the quality camera drones are creative workhorses while any FPV drone, whether hand built or RTF is a hobby toy that requires much patience and deep pockets.

One cannot be concerned about the cost when flying FPV. It's simply an expensive hobby and from what I've seen and heard; it can be quite addicting to the point of obsession. Heck; camera drones are already that for me.

Even someone who buys a RTF FPV drone/goggles/transmitter bundle will still have to learn a lot about tuning and repairing them. Crashes and fixing them are all part of the sport/hobby.

I was going to buy one of the new hybrid DJI FPV kits but decided I'd wait a while. Glad I did.

I have to admit; flying at 90 mph sounds like a lot of fun but at 9 minutes of flight time (or less at those speeds) it doesn't really allow for much function. Just short range fun.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Not sure why DJI doesn’t make a sport drown. Flies like an FPV ie fast and can freestyle while using the smart controller. I have no desire to us goggles and find an observer.
I think the closest to that would be to fly the FPV with the goggles tethered to a screen so you could watch it that way.
Although, I got over my aversion to goggles pretty quickly and it is absolutely amazing watching the flight with them.
Even in sport mode; the things you can do will just blow your mind.

This is a question of your level of skill in flying drones.

These two types do not compete with each other - they are designed for providing completely different purposes and operator experiences.

DJI is a clever company: one actually would like to have both!
I liken it to a Rolls Royce or a Shelby GT40...not the same animal at all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest