DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI FPV Tomorrow

And I was thinking the exact opposite!! Sounds like it was designed JUST for me! You have the ability to fly it just like a mini or MA2 AND you have the ability to do a lot more with it!! I am most definitely HIGHLY interested in this and will be the proud owner as soon as I can scrounge up the rest of the funds!!! YEEHAWW this guy looks like fun!
Got mine last Friday and just got it airborne today (issues with downloading the latest of DJI Fly).
I got the Combo. I will be getting more batteries and the hand controller. I have never flown FPV before,
The goggles work great with my glasses. Even though I can't read things close up, the goggles are perfect.
This sounds way kewl and like seeing the props when I am banking and braking, The emergency stop is ridiculous.
So I flew in N mode and then in Sport mode. Hard to describe how much fun it is. Within 2 minutes I was flying through the Jungle Gyms and under tree branches (slowly and then a little faster). I LOVE this drone; even if it is the path to "the Dark Side"'. I will probably build a strait FPV drone and use the goggles and Ocsync3. It will be a while and I will spend hours of Simulator time, but this is really KEWL !!!
An analogy: I learned to ride dirt bikes, street bikes, cruiser and touring bikes as well as rockets. I still like to ride them all, but my goto is a full dressed Honda Goldwing. It can be fast, smooth, comfortable and very enjoyable. This drone will be kind like that. I will always fly all of my drones but this will probably be the most all around fun.
***** I reserve the right to change my opinion as time progresses *****

Reactions: A.O.
Got mine last Friday and just got it airborne today (issues with downloading the latest of DJI Fly).
I got the Combo. I will be getting more batteries and the hand controller. I have never flown FPV before,
The goggles work great with my glasses. Even though I can't read things close up, the goggles are perfect.
This sounds way kewl and like seeing the props when I am banking and braking, The emergency stop is ridiculous.
So I flew in N mode and then in Sport mode. Hard to describe how much fun it is. Within 2 minutes I was flying through the Jungle Gyms and under tree branches (slowly and then a little faster). I LOVE this drone; even if it is the path to "the Dark Side"'. I will probably build a strait FPV drone and use the goggles and Ocsync3. It will be a while and I will spend hours of Simulator time, but this is really KEWL !!!
An analogy: I learned to ride dirt bikes, street bikes, cruiser and touring bikes as well as rockets. I still like to ride them all, but my goto is a full dressed Honda Goldwing. It can be fast, smooth, comfortable and very enjoyable. This drone will be kind like that. I will always fly all of my drones but this will probably be the most all around fun.
***** I reserve the right to change my opinion as time progresses *****
Sounds great and look forward to more of your escapades with it!! I too am a motorcycle enthusiast, narrowed it down now to my full dress Harley, about the same as your full dress Gold wing ... only louder!!?

• Haha
Reactions: NG Wildman
Sounds great and look forward to more of your escapades with it!! I too am a motorcycle enthusiast, narrowed it down now to my full dress Harley, about the same as your full dress Gold wing ... only louder!!?
I am, was, a motorcycle instructor. I was teaching a Gold Wing drill team one weekend, I had them all lined up ready to go and they were all running... so very quietly.. so my first command to the group was "Gentlemen start your engines"! They got a kick out of it and we got along splendidly all weekend!

Being a hybrid, it's not that good as a camera drone (one axis gimbal), and not that good at FPV.
I've spent the last nine months immersed in the world of FPV. Even though I have built my own FPV drone (a badge of honor in the FPV world), I'm not that skilled at flying, yet. FPV is remarkably more challenging than the familiar DJI camera drones. A 'true' FPV drone does not have Normal mode, or Sport mode; only manual (acro) mode, which, in the beginning, will feel/fly like a bucking bronc. Technically, a 'true' FPV drone has angle mode and horizon mode. Both of these are similar to Normal mode. However, no one uses those modes as they govern the drone and fight the pilot's stick input. 99.9% of all FPV pilots use manual (acro) mode; only. Acro = freedom.
FPV pilots love the DJI FPV goggles and the air unit (or caddx vista), but by and large dismiss the DJI FPV drone as it is not that capable...well rounded package, but the maneuvers are FPV ish.
If you decide to go for it, be sure to spend at least 30 hours in a simulator, or you'll wish you had.
If you bypass the DJI FPV drone, you can use DJI FPV goggles with a drone having the DJI Air Unit, and leave geofencing completely out of the equation. I recommend this route. However, you have to be willing to repair the guaranteed to crash drone. Not particularly hard, but not that easy either. Fortunately, much of the build/repair is plug and play these days.
In the end, you have to ask yourself if you will ever get to manual mode. If not, you paid $1,299 for a bad version of a camera drone, and if you do get to manual mode, I hope you spent at least 30 hours in a simulator with goggles on.
Good luck

I will use the goggles with a me built 3" 4S quad running Caddx vista (approved by DJI) under 250g. No registration, no geofencing, no remote id. The FAA considers it a 'toy'. It is not. It is a hot rod with a bad attitude.
I still use my Mavic 2 Zoom. It has a purpose
FPV flying is much more engaging, and equally frustrating.

Last edited:
Sounds good, sure glad its not a "true" FPV drone, because this sounds WAY more like what I'm looking for!!!

Being a hybrid, it's not that good as a camera drone (one axis gimbal), and not that good at FPV.
I've spent the last nine months immersed in the world of FPV. Even though I have built my own FPV drone (a badge of honor in the FPV world), I'm not that skilled at flying, yet. FPV is remarkably more challenging than the familiar DJI camera drones. A 'true' FPV drone does not have Normal mode, or Sport mode; only manual (acro) mode, which, in the beginning, will feel/fly like a bucking bronc. Technically, a 'true' FPV drone has angle mode and horizon mode. Both of these are similar to Normal mode. However, no one uses those modes as they govern the drone and fight the pilot's stick input. 99.9% of all FPV pilots use manual (acro) mode; only. Acro = freedom.
FPV pilots love the DJI FPV goggles and the air unit (or caddx vista), but by and large dismiss the DJI FPV drone as it is not that capable...well rounded package, but the maneuvers are FPV ish.
If you decide to go for it, be sure to spend at least 30 hours in a simulator, or you'll wish you had.
If you bypass the DJI FPV drone, you can use DJI FPV goggles with a drone having the DJI Air Unit, and leave geofencing completely out of the equation. I recommend this route. However, you have to be willing to repair the guaranteed to crash drone. Not particularly hard, but not that easy either. Fortunately, much of the build/repair is plug and play these days.
In the end, you have to ask yourself if you will ever get to manual mode. If not, you paid $1,299 for a bad version of a camera drone, and if you do get to manual mode, I hope you spent at least 30 hours in a simulator with goggles on.
Good luck

I will use the goggles with a me built 3" 4S quad running Caddx vista (approved by DJI) under 250g. No registration, no geofencing, no remote id. The FAA considers it a 'toy'. It is not. It is a hot rod with a bad attitude.
I still use my Mavic 2 Zoom. It has a purpose
FPV flying is much more engaging, and equally frustrating.
I see where FPV pilots get there love of flying. As stated above I am sure I will be building my own FPV and using the goggles with it. The immersion factor is impressive. I didn't catch whether or not you have flown this model. I know a few people who have flown this and also fly FPV for years and although they LOVE FPV, they are impressed by this drone. I myself can see getting some really different pics with this little guy. Even in Sport mode there is so much more you can do. Do find much of a difference in the 3" as opposed to the 5" ?

I've been flying FPV since 2002 and this thing delivers the best overall experience I've ever had. Literally what I've been dreaming of since then and spent lots more to unsuccessfully try to achieve over the years.

I've been flying FPV since 2002 and this thing delivers the best overall experience I've ever had. Literally what I've been dreaming of since then and spent lots more to unsuccessfully try to achieve over the years.

Greeeeaaat video. You even git some air off of those jumps...LOL...I like the safety features and have not yet taken it out of Sport mode. Although I have fewer than ten flights. It's still a ball weaving in and out of things and I'm sure I will crash it. I got the care refresh and I plan on serious FPV on a cheaper drone...at least till I feel confident enough. For ME, this drone is a perfect scratch for that itch I have. I keep hearing mixed feelings about this drone but that's to be expected, I guess.
Thanks again.

Reactions: A.O.
The videos here are really great. I would like to try this but I can see that this is a good way to drop 2K in USD down a Rabbit Hole really quickly. My wish would be that I could wear and use the new goggles with my Mavic 2 Pro and fly with DJI Go 4 or Litchi. I would love to have great video in those goggles while flying a Litchi mission. Of course, that would not be legal as almost all of the FPV flights are in fact not legal because of VLOS. In my opinion, flying with good quality FPV googles would be safer than VLOS.

Reactions: zeusfl
I guess the FAA needs to reconsider VLOS rules. Is no way that VLOS will make a better judgment that looking the camera. This video was awesome. Normally i do not see the hole videos unless are very entertainment like this one. I watched from start to end. Again awesome video and skills.

I see where FPV pilots get there love of flying. As stated above I am sure I will be building my own FPV and using the goggles with it. The immersion factor is impressive. I didn't catch whether or not you have flown this model. I know a few people who have flown this and also fly FPV for years and although they LOVE FPV, they are impressed by this drone. I myself can see getting some really different pics with this little guy. Even in Sport mode there is so much more you can do. Do find much of a difference in the 3" as opposed to the 5" ?
Hi...I'm new to FPV.
I've never flown a 5".
I went with 3" to get under the 250g all up weight, and still have good performance. I cherry picked all of my build parts. this matters for quality and reliability.
As FPV drones increase in size so does the price of parts, battery cost and risk of loss.
I was very anxious for the new DJI FPV drone. My reservation to purchase is the down time and cost for repairs with DJI and DJI geofencing. Also, with the exception of manual mode the normal mode and sport mode seem like DJI's old fixed wing mode.
I've flown camera drones for 4+ years.

Well I did it!! Cant really afford the MA2 and the DJI FPV both, I could swing it but I didn't want to. So I "tested the waters" on weather there would be any interest in my MA2 set up and lo and behold a guy showed up at my house the next day with cash in hand!! Yeowza!
So I ordered the basic set up and got it last week. I had ordered one extra battery and figured out right away that wasn't going to cut it so ordered the fly more package (2 batts and the charge hub) . OMG this thing is fun!! EXACTLY what I was hoping it was going to be. I had a bit of sellers remorse which disappeared completely after the first flight!
The batteries do not last near as long as the MA2 batts, I get maybe 12-15 minutes per. But the speed and excitement MORE than make up for it.
This thing is so fast and agile its crazy and I've not even gotten out of normal or sport mode yet, I will eventually but I'm in no hurry, playing in the sim here and there but no manual for me in the real world yet!
IF you are on the bubble, don't be , this thing is a gas!! It might not be the best camera drone, or the best FPV drone but it is a great mix of the two... go ahead and do it you WON'T be disappointed!

Well I did it!! Cant really afford the MA2 and the DJI FPV both, I could swing it but I didn't want to. So I "tested the waters" on weather there would be any interest in my MA2 set up and lo and behold a guy showed up at my house the next day with cash in hand!! Yeowza!
So I ordered the basic set up and got it last week. I had ordered one extra battery and figured out right away that wasn't going to cut it so ordered the fly more package (2 batts and the charge hub) . OMG this thing is fun!! EXACTLY what I was hoping it was going to be. I had a bit of sellers remorse which disappeared completely after the first flight!
The batteries do not last near as long as the MA2 batts, I get maybe 12-15 minutes per. But the speed and excitement MORE than make up for it.
This thing is so fast and agile its crazy and I've not even gotten out of normal or sport mode yet, I will eventually but I'm in no hurry, playing in the sim here and there but no manual for me in the real world yet!
IF you are on the bubble, don't be , this thing is a gas!! It might not be the best camera drone, or the best FPV drone but it is a great mix of the two... go ahead and do it you WON'T be disappointed!
Glad it's all gone to plan and your having a blast. Because of lockdown here over the last 3 months i hadn't been flying for ages.......lockdown lifted on Monday so the MA2 has been out and about all over the place. ? Funny how quick it all came back to me, didn't take long at all. I stuck it in sport mode and have been sharpening up
my reflexes flying just inches above the ground trying to get that FPV experience
on the cheap...??

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NG Wildman and A.O.
Glad it's all gone to plan and your having a blast. Because of lockdown here over the last 3 months i hadn't been flying for ages.......lockdown lifted on Monday so the MA2 has been out and about all over the place. ? Funny how quick it all came back to me, didn't take long at all. I stuck it in sport mode and have been sharpening up
my reflexes flying just inches above the ground trying to get that FPV experience
on the cheap...??
Yay, glad you are out flying again Gary!!

So I've had this thing (DJI FPV) for a couple months now... great decision to change, and I've not even tried the FPV part yet!

So whos looking to order one tomorrow or soon after?

I'm thinking about it once I hear some reviews. seems like a hybrid, part camera drone, part FPV drone...
Please forgive my ignorance. What are the legal/regulatory issues around flying using FPV goggles? How does that square with the need to retain "continuous VLOS"?

Thx,

TCS

Please forgive my ignorance. What are the legal/regulatory issues around flying using FPV goggles? How does that square with the need to retain "continuous VLOS"?

Thx,

TCS
In the US, you are required to have another person act as a visual spotter in order to maintain eyes on for the pilot who often wears goggles, and the spotter needs to have the means of direct communication with the pilot at all times.

Reactions: vindibona1

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost