DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI : Gateway Drug

RTKD

Reactions
It seemed so innocent at the time. Just a little Mavic, everyone was doing it.

It was "cool" until, it just wasn't enough.

Now my hands shake as I barnstorm the trees. I'm up late nights, the smell of solder heavy in the air. The money goes out faster than it comes in, and it's never enough. Something is always broken...

That's right, I'm a miniquad junkie, and I'm here to warn you: stick to your safe, factory built, AP rigs. 'Cause once you try FPV, the whole world changes.

That is impressive stuff! Absolutely enjoyed watching that! Great flying, great music, well edited... Big thumbsup. Makes me want to give FPV a try! :)

It seemed so innocent at the time. Just a little Mavic, everyone was doing it.

It was "cool" until, it just wasn't enough.

Now my hands shake as I barnstorm the trees. I'm up late nights, the smell of solder heavy in the air. The money goes out faster than it comes in, and it's never enough. Something is always broken...

That's right, I'm a miniquad junkie, and I'm here to warn you: stick to your safe, factory built, AP rigs. 'Cause once you try FPV, the whole world changes.

Sounds like Good Ol Fashioned RC to me. Just one more Upgrade..lol
Race/Bash/Fly on Sunday, Crash & Rebuild from the ground up Monday.

(Monday Next that is because your broke the One Part you dont have 5 spare of in the
Toolbox)

DJI is more of an Expensive OTC Habit

Reactions: RTKD
That is impressive stuff! Absolutely enjoyed watching that! Great flying, great music, well edited... Big thumbsup. Makes me want to give FPV a try! :)
I can help you get started. Best part is: the trainer drones are tiny enough to fly in the house. Get your practice with all the convenience of home. $300 - $400 would get you well on your way. After that, an upgrade for about $200 would get you a craft that does footage like mine. (plus the cost of a GoPro)

This is my trainer

• Wow
Reactions: Gindra and JoostGT3
I can help you get started. Best part is: the trainer drones are tiny enough to fly in the house. Get your practice with all the convenience of home. $300 - $400 would get you well on your way. After that, an upgrade for about $200 would get you a craft that does footage like mine. (plus the cost of a GoPro)

This is my trainer

That would make you a Pusher RTKD ;)

• Haha
This is a video where I've mixed the two, it does have some interesting points to notice.

Obviously the Mavic is dead stable, and all the Mavic shots have a perfectly level horizon. Forward and backward are perfect, but the Mavic doesn't track well in point of interest mode. It actually traces something more like a multi-sided object, where in moves in a short line and then turns slightly. While you can do large arc shots, you can not orbit an object manually
There is some wobble in the miniquad shots, but it's important to understand that 98% of that wobble is pilot error. It's indecision, over-correction and general inexperience. Practice can in fact render VERY stable video, and the new GoPro 7 will fix the rest, assuming you don't flip it upside down.

I just built one of these for my buddy, his first FPV drone. He's still learning on my trainer so we haven't flown it much

Darn right, I'm your
man :)

i am liking the whole micro thing. Gopro not so much, but the little Fireman guy is Kool

Ok. When I first read your story I thought it was funny.

Now, I think I finally have to admit that I got lost in FPV too.
Mobula7 with heavy support by Liftoff/FreeRider.
And afraid that it won't last for a long time.
3D flight in particular is addicting btw...

3D flight in particular is addicting btw...
I haven't tried 3d yet, but I'm learning Matty flips. Have you seen this? It's not a 3d rig, it's just flown with high camera uptilt

And the video that got me started was this one. Once I saw this I realized I had to buy a FPV drone.

Last edited:
Hahaha once I watched the first video I thought "I know that style of flying, there was a guy Florent Roque who won a contest with it once."
Now I noticed that the first video is from that very guy :) .
So yeah, you know his videos. These are mattystuntz next level.
Florent does things that seem to be physically impossible. The extreme camera tilt isn't making the physics any easier too.

This is what me got started about 3D:

And thanks to JB trying out the Mobula7 in 3D I did the same and flew it inverted for an extended period of time.

I love Zoe! I'm a subscriber :)

Reactions: Microwave89
they make the Mavic look a "little" tame...

I've got the goods if you want in. $350 dollars and 8 hours of practice time and you'll never look back

Reactions: charliesRig
Hahaha once I watched the first video I thought "I know that style of flying, there was a guy Florent Roque who won a contest with it once."
Now I noticed that the first video is from that very guy :) .
So yeah, you know his videos. These are mattystuntz next level.
Florent does things that seem to be physically impossible. The extreme camera tilt isn't making the physics any easier too.

This is what me got started about 3D:

And thanks to JB trying out the Mobula7 in 3D I did the same and flew it inverted for an extended period of time.

Inverted ..???
Whoah whoah whoah ..... that just crazy talk

.........Iwantin

So, where do I start?

JtL

There's a sister site for this called Drone Racing FPV Forum
And we've pulled some DJI folks from this side of the tracks already. Here's a thread that got one of our members started, it's easy to follow.

this video is a great place to start.

For a controller I would go with a Jumper T16 Pro. It's a little more money than the QX7, but if you're going to stick with the hobby you'll be glad you got it.

This is the Micro that I would recommend to learn on

And these goggles are the best cheap option.

...And you're hooked. The controller and goggles are universal when you upgrade to a full size rig

I was doing my first overwater test on my new FPV build yesterday, and a cruise ship pulled in! You can see the hesitation in my flight because I was so far from shore.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98