DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI GO 4 app keeps crashing on Android Pie 9.0

fyzlic

Reactions
Hi there, anyone here with the same issues on Android 9.0? Using Google pixel 2 XL.

Hi there, anyone here with the same issues on Android 9.0? Using Google pixel 2 XL.

Same here - I'm guessing it is something to do with the new OS and or a non-updated app. The (sad) fix currently is to just uninstall and then re-install the app to get it to work.

It will work for at least a few launches, but if you stop flying for awhile and then try to re-enter the app it will continue crashing. Restarting my phone and or force stopping the app didn't work either. I have an OG Pixel.

Yep, Sucks big time. I missed a big job that I needed. could have uninstalled and downloaded again but it would have been cellular data used which I am almost out of.
So today (actually been messing with this for over a week now) Connected the MV directly and rolled back to .100 that was available through the DJI Assistant Went to Pureapk to download an older version of Go4, tried .12 and .16 and couldn't get neither to download/open. I am at the end of this. What a piece of crap. Probably the MV could stay on the latest FW. The half screen of pixelization I can't remember, but I thought I got that even before the Android P update. The force closes, definitely since the Android P update. What a drag. With all of the profits they must have made...... why not just solve that problem. I'm sure Team Android would assist since it reflects bad on both companies. Incidentally, as I'm sure you have found, this isn't the only thread on this. There are many, with different titles but all relating to the same issues here. I am still searching for (if there even is such a thing) a REAL step by step guide on how to get rid of this problem on the Pixel XL with Android P. Yeah, I've seen the step by step suggested. Nah, didn't work. And/or please explain how to save the .21 data so that .12 works. Just a **** complete procedure with no missing links. So if anyone has such a thing, thank you in advance.

Yep, Sucks big time. I missed a big job that I needed. could have uninstalled and downloaded again but it would have been cellular data used which I am almost out of.
So today (actually been messing with this for over a week now) Connected the MV directly and rolled back to .100 that was available through the DJI Assistant Went to Pureapk to download an older version of Go4, tried .12 and .16 and couldn't get neither to download/open. I am at the end of this. What a piece of crap. Probably the MV could stay on the latest FW. The half screen of pixelization I can't remember, but I thought I got that even before the Android P update. The force closes, definitely since the Android P update. What a drag. With all of the profits they must have made...... why not just solve that problem. I'm sure Team Android would assist since it reflects bad on both companies. Incidentally, as I'm sure you have found, this isn't the only thread on this. There are many, with different titles but all relating to the same issues here. I am still searching for (if there even is such a thing) a REAL step by step guide on how to get rid of this problem on the Pixel XL with Android P. Yeah, I've seen the step by step suggested. Nah, didn't work. And/or please explain how to save the .21 data so that .12 works. Just a **** complete procedure with no missing links. So if anyone has such a thing, thank you in advance.

In a different thread someone suggested the following:
Make sure Android 9 isnt restricting the activity as part of its new battery features. It seems to want to (Settings > Battery).

After doing that I haven't had an issue _yet_ but I'm going to keep testing to see how it goes...

In a different thread someone suggested the following:

After doing that I haven't had an issue _yet_ but I'm going to keep testing to see how it goes...
Go4 was not part of my restricted list.
Say. Anyone know if I do go ahead and use Litchi, Does that take care of the problem. In the Play store, even Litchi was getting bad reviews because of the same issues. At least Litchi was responding to those reviews and mentioned that there was nothing THEY could do to change those issues because it was built into the DJI software and until DJI addressed it, it would affect Litchi users as well. BUT, I've read a few posts where people were using Litchi and NOT having any issues. I think the perfect storm is with Android phones in particular so you have to take those "I"m not having any problems" with a grain of salt as they may be using a phone without conflicting software.

Go4 was not part of my restricted list.
Say. Anyone know if I do go ahead and use Litchi, Does that take care of the problem. In the Play store, even Litchi was getting bad reviews because of the same issues. At least Litchi was responding to those reviews and mentioned that there was nothing THEY could do to change those issues because it was built into the DJI software and until DJI addressed it, it would affect Litchi users as well. BUT, I've read a few posts where people were using Litchi and NOT having any issues. I think the perfect storm is with Android phones in particular so you have to take those "I"m not having any problems" with a grain of salt as they may be using a phone without conflicting software.

I believe Litchi and Go4 use the same underlying SDK and interact with stuff in the same manner (so the same issues).

I haven't had any more luck with Litchi and my Pixel 2 XL, looks like the current version of the Android SDK has issues in general. It's odd that the "no problem" people claim no issues with the same devices. My Pixel 2XL is a development device, so gets frequently factory reset. I tried a full wipe, with just the stock apps, the latest version of DJI Go 4, and it still barely makes it to 8mins before the video feed glitches out and loses transmission, then it'll crash out shortly after and won't reopen until I reinstall. So the "conflicting apps" theory doesn't hold water in my case.

Annoyingly, I've had to resort to a 9.7in iPad Pro for a reliable video feed. The iOS app is actually way more responsive than the Android one was on any of the phones I tried (S8, Nexus 6P and the P2XL), so it's good in that regard, but bad in that I have to lug a big ol' tablet around with me whenever I want to fly it.

I had the same issue with my Pixel 2, but an update to the app during the week fixed the crashing issue for me. Problem I have now is that the app won't connect to the controller and says disconnected even after a reboot of the phone and controller.

Can also confirm that the crashing issue seems to be gone since installing this week's Go 4 update. Still have the same image transmission loss after 6-8 minutes on my 2XL. Sticking to the iPad for now. Hope to be able to use the Android phone again in future, far more convenient to pack.

You can always downgrade to android 8 if its a problem. 10 minute job.
9.0 doesn't provide any vital fixes to the OS.

Samsung Tab S3 is also having crash issues with Go on the 2nd or third flight. First flight seems OK. In the battery settings I whitelisted the Go apps (optimization won't touch them).
I do notice that after restarting the app after a crash, i get herringbone patterns in dark areas of the video feed and block painting across the screen.
I tried turning off video cache but that didn't help.
I have gotten the same routine with my HTC 10. Both running Android 8. Go version is 4.3.0 released 8/25. I haven't seen an update in Google Play since then on either device.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98