DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI GO 4 - iPad - Maps - GPS - Cellular Connection ?

cammot53

Reactions
With my recent acquisition of the M2P, everything has been working out well, flying it with the RC controller and the DJI GO 4 app, that is also connected to my cellular connected iPhone X.

An update that I'd like to do, is get a larger screen for the DJI GO 4 app, i.e. probably an iPad Mini 4, (early models have been discontinued and there maybe issues with app updates).

My primary and ONLY use with the iPad mini, would be to use it with the M2P RT with the DJI GO 4 app, so I could have a larger view of the Map, as well as everything else that I currently use on the iPhone to fly the drone.

My concern, and I have read conflicting views on this - Is that I may not have easy access to the Map - if I don't have an internet connection (WiFi) on iPad. I could connect the iPad thru my iPhone to get a Hotspot connection, but not sue if this would be necessary. I've read info like that all the GPS info on the app comes from the RT controller, not the internet. Updating the firmware at start up, might also be a function of the internet too. So I can see why and how a cellular connection of some kind might be necessary for all systems to function well.

Could anybody throw some light on this subject, and if indeed its important to have a live Wifi Connection on the iPad to function properly.

Thanks

You don't need a cellular connection.
I fly with an iPad Pro 10.5 with NO cellular.
I also fly in an area with NO cellular available with no problems.

Thanks for the info. What about firmware updates - how does that happen without cellular connection ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lab916