DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI GO 4 Satellite Map

Dave Phantom

Reactions
Could anyone please help. I've looked on lots of posts including YouTube etc to find a way to load the 'Satellite Map' on my Mavic Air, and tried everything I can possibly think of - nothing works. The only one that will load is Here Street Map which I think is absolutely rubbish and of no help whats so ever! There's seems to be a way (YouTube) to disable Here Maps by rooting your device, installing 'Service Disabler' and disabling Here Maps then Google Maps takes over and will load a the Satellite Map, but this method seems to be 'hit and miss'. There must be a better and safer way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Dji go 4 app get back GOOGLE MAP!: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN6FxFvRIY8

Last edited:
I am away from my drone right now so I cannot be sure of this, but I thought that when you click on the DJI Go 4 Street map in the lower-right corner so that it fills the screen (putting camera view in the lower-left corner), then there is an icon on the larger map that looks like 3-sheets of papers stacked together (representing layers). If you select that I think you can then change from Street Layer to Satellite Layer.

Reactions: Robzilla
Could anyone please help. I've looked on lots of posts including YouTube etc to find a way to load the 'Satellite Map' on my Mavic Air, and tried everything I can possibly think of - nothing works. The only one that will load is Here Street Map which I think is absolutely rubbish and of no help whats so ever! There's seems to be a way (YouTube) to disable Here Maps by rooting your device, installing 'Service Disabler' and disabling Here Maps then Google Maps takes over and will load a the Satellite Map, but this method seems to be 'hit ans miss'. There must be a better and safer way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Dji go 4 app get back GOOGLE MAP!: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN6FxFvRIY8
The change of map provider was made by DJI due to licensing agreement/costs.

They used to use Google but had a ‘disagreement’.

It really isn’t worth the effort to attempt a flakey work around.

Reactions: BigAl07
I am away from my drone right now so I cannot be sure of this, but I thought that when you click on the DJI Go 4 Street map in the lower-right corner so that it fills the screen (putting camera view in the lower-left corner), then there is an icon on the larger map that looks like 3-sheets of papers stacked together (representing layers). If you select that I think you can then change from Street Layer to Satellite Layer.

I've tried the 'Layers' but no luck - all I can get is the street map which is useless if you don't know the area. I've always used the Hybrid Map with my Phantom 3A with no problem but it doesn't seem possible with the Mavic Air which is just connected by 'enhanced' WiFi. This is what I normally do before leaving home with Phantom 3A:

1. Turn Tablet On.
2. Set to Full Brightness and Volume.
3. Delete All History.
4. Ensure WiFi is On.
5. Turn Remote On.
6. Turn Phantom 3A/Mavic Air On.
7. Connect USB.
8. Will Auto Connect to DJI GO/DJI GO 4.
9. When Open and Running OK Enter Satellite Map View.
10. When Map Fully Loaded Zoom Out to Required Area.
11. Do Not Exit DJI GO/DJI GO 4.
12. Turn WiFi Off and Aeroplane Mode On While Map Still Loaded.
13. Leave Tablet on Standby.

This does not work with the Mavic Air and have been trying since I purchased in March this year - it's really putting me of flying it even though I usually fly VLOS.

Update (Android):
Just tried this several times and it works:
1. Turn Tablet On.
3. Ensure WiFi is On.
4. Delete All History.
5. Turn Remote On.
6. Turn Mavic Air On.
7. Connect USB.
8. Will Auto Connect to DJI GO 4.
9. Ignore Database Update and Go Fly.
10. When Open and Running OK Enter Satellite Map View.
11. When Map Fully Loaded Zoom Out to Required Area.
12. Do Not Exit DJI GO 4.
13. Enter Tablet Settings and Turn WiFi Off and Aeroplane Mode On While Map Still Loaded.
14. Go Back to the DJI GO 4 App then put Tablet on Standby.
15. Disconnect USB. Tablet may Turn On Again, Put On Standby Again.
At Flight Area:
Turn Remote On.
Turn Mavic Air On.
Connect USB.
Start Tablet.
Good to Go.

Now I just need to get rid of the 'GEO Zone overlay, as if!

Last edited:
Update:
Just tried this several times and it works:
1. Turn Tablet On.
3. Ensure WiFi is On.
4. Delete All History.
5. Turn Remote On.
6. Turn Mavic Air On.
7. Connect USB.
8. Will Auto Connect to DJI GO 4.
9. Ignore Database Update and Go Fly.
10. When Open and Running OK Enter Satellite Map View.
11. When Map Fully Loaded Zoom Out to Required Area.
12. Do Not Exit DJI GO 4.
13. Enter Tablet Settings and Turn WiFi Off and Aeroplane Mode On While Map Still Loaded.
14. Go Back to the DJI GO 4 App then put Tablet on Standby.
15. Disconnect USB. Tablet may Turn On Again, Put On Standby Again.
At Flight Area:
Turn Remote On.
Turn Mavic Air On.
Connect USB.
Start Tablet.
Good to Go.

Now I just need to get rid of the 'GEO Zone overlay, as if!
Since you do not say whether you are using iOS or Android there are different methods.
Android - just download offline maps. Job done.
iOS - Jump through the hoops you describe above

I use Android and the offline map is downloaded and updated, but only loads the Street Map (I have no WiFi connection at location - not needed). I'm sure a lot agree with my about the Street Maps being useless and the Hybrid Map being the best view. I've found, after months of trial and error that the way I've described works for me. As I've only tried this way today I hope it continues to work and may help others with the same problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22