DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go aircraft disconnected

Sounds like this has been getting worse!!! I have seen other posts and added some into to one of those too but this was the most recent so will add what happened to me the last time here.

Lost count how many time it has happened to me but luck for me the remote has always been connected so I can control the Mavic. THis last time I was able to fly back to a safe landing spot but before I landed I did the following in an attempt to find the cause.

R/R (Remove and reattach) both ends of the USB cable from the RC to the phone. No changes
Restart the phone. No Changes
Restart the RC, BINGO, everything started working after that. (But why)

In this case all was working fine, video just went to last frame received and had the words in red, "Aircraft disconnected". The remote however never stated any issues and continued to correctly control the Mavic.

Ideas?
I've been having the same problem and finally figured out that the batteries are swelling and pushing away from the craft. Best case scenario, they only disconnect from the controller. Worst case scenario, you have complete and instantaneous power failure.

I'm thinking maybe the hotter summer months has something to do with the increase of the issue. Are anyone else's batteries puffing out on the back?

I have four batteries that are only about a year old, that have been charge less than twenty times. I keep them in the fireproof bags, with rubber protectors on the contacts, discharge them completely every 10 charges and never try to recharge them when they are still hot from flying. I have no idea what I need to do to correct having to spend $250 to replace them
Unfortunately, they cannot be fixed. You should dispose of them immediately.

FWIW, damage like this is normally caused by one of the following:
  • Storing batteries in hot conditions (like the trunk of your car in the hot summer)
  • Putting your batteries away in storage and not charging them for 2+ months

Unfortunately, they cannot be fixed. You should dispose of them immediately.

FWIW, damage like this is normally caused by one of the following:
  • Storing batteries in hot conditions (like the trunk of your car in the hot summer)
  • Putting your batteries away in storage and not charging them for 2+ months
I agree, these batteries need to be disposed of immediately. They can explode and catch fire. I found three following information when I googled the possible causes. Evidently, there is only one logical reason and it has nothing to do with storage.

"Bulging batteries mean only one thing- buildup of gas inside. The gases are produced due to electrochemical oxidation of the electrolyte. Such oxidation occurs usually due to overcharging of the battery due to a faulty battery, or faulty charging electronics in the phone or battery charger."

There must be something wrong with the charger that came with my unit. That would definitely explain why all four failed at the same time and were free from abuse. I went out of my way calling for these batteries, right down to tracking the number of times they were used so I could discharge them completely every ten cycles.

There must be something wrong with the charger that came with my unit.
I've never heard of such an incident with DJI batteries, but it would be something to consider if you're sure you cared for your batteries properly.

I've never heard of such an incident with DJI batteries, but it would be something to consider if you're sure you cared for your batteries properly.
I did everything I was aware that was stated in the manual. I just read another post that started a picture of the manual that said, 'they should be kept in a will ventilated area.' I don't know if that means in general, or the individual batteries. I store mine in the fireproof bags.

Me too. That won't harm them.
I just don't want this to happen again. Is really like to get to the bottom of this before I shell out the money it's going to cost for replacement. Thank you for your input.

Frequent total discharge may be the issue, depending how 'total' the discharge is. Every 10 is too frequent.
By 'disconnect from controller' I assume you mean the battery Data connection between the battery and the aircraft. Anything more than that and there's no power to the AC.

When you say 'controller' without qualification, one would think you mean the RC. You have no control of the AC if it loses connection to the RC, though that would trigger fail-safe RTH.

The charger is essentially just a power supply. All the smarts is in the battery. It's almost like saying the plug into the AC outlet may be the cause.

Frequent total discharge may be the issue, depending how 'total' the discharge is. Every 10 is too frequent.
By 'disconnect from controller' I assume you mean the battery Data connection between the battery and the aircraft. Anything more than that and there's no power to the AC.

When you say 'controller' without qualification, one would think you mean the RC. You have no control of the AC if it loses connection to the RC, though that would trigger fail-safe RTH.
The manual states the batteries should be completely drained every ten cycles.

I actually experienced both situations you outlined. The first experience the pressure completely separated the battery from the connection and the drone fell to the ground like a rock from complete power failure. Luckily I the drone was only about a foot off the ground. The second experience was this past weekend when the RC sporadically disconnected. Initially I thought it was interference. After further inspection it was clear that my second battery had begun to swell and it was disconnecting. At the time I had no line of sight and only had the option of RTH button. Thank goodness it did not completely disconnect like it did with the first battery out I would have a trashed drone. I'm doing my best to get some sort of clarification why this happened with all four of my batteries so it doesn't happen again. I'm not prepared to spend $250 a year on batteries with the risk of my drone falling out of the sky having disconnected.

The manual states the batteries should be completely drained every ten cycles.

I actually experienced both situations you outlined. The first experience the pressure completely separated the battery from the connection and the drone fell to the ground like a rock from complete power failure. Luckily I the drone was only about a foot off the ground. The second experience was this past weekend when the RC sporadically disconnected. Initially I thought it was interference. After further inspection it was clear that my second battery had begun to swell and it was disconnecting. At the time I had no line of sight and only had the option of RTH button. Thank goodness it did not completely disconnect like it did with the first battery out I would have a trashed drone. I'm doing my best to get some sort of clarification why this happened with all four of my batteries so it doesn't happen again. I'm not prepared to spend $250 a year on batteries with the risk of my drone falling out of the sky having disconnected.

wow that's pretty scary. Perhaps there's something odd with your charger? Are you using the original DJI-charger or another brand?

wow that's pretty scary. Perhaps there's something odd with your charger? Are you using the original DJI-charger or another brand?
I use the charger that came with the 'fly more' package. It was pointed out by another member that the charger can't be a factor because the batteries are made with smart technology included which should prevent them from overcharging. Makes sense to me. After everyone sharing their input, I'm leaning toward their being an issue with my drone that is causing the batteries to overheat and swell. Either way, I plan to not empty the batteries every ten cycles and try to fly more to prevent any gases from building up. Let's hope there's a solution in here somewhere.$250 is a huge expense for annual replacement of batteries.

I have the same problem with Mavic Pro (no platinum) I don’t know what to do still

I have not had an issue with the batteries-yet- I plan to just continue to fly and charge like normal, I don’t generally run the batteries below 20%, I have had a couple occasions where the go4 app show disconnected with a couple different cables, I just unplugged the lightning connector and plugged it back in and everything was fine. So I started killing off all the background apps before I fly.

I have litchi but to be honest I mostly use go4. Litchi is great for waypoint missions but it’s lacking all the modes that go4 has and I like:). Tripod, cinematic, a great tracking mode and follow me.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair