DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go aircraft disconnected

Macabre

Reactions
So a couple of times my DJI Go app reported aircraft disconnected while the RC was functioning fine. Once I flew close to a cell tower so I figured that must've caused the interference. But next time there were no towers nearby and it disconnected. It's not a big problem because the RC still works and I can hit RTH function, but maybe someone knows what's causing this problem?
There's a chance there was interference the second time without the tower.

Unfortunately, I don't remember when it happened so I don't have the flight log data.

It was most likely a problem with Go 4 and has nothing to do with the tower. You could try restarting Go 4 or your display device. You may need to clear up some RAM, fly in airplane mode, turn off caching and/or replace the connector cable to the RC.

Chiming in to report three (!) disconnects in a row today, at close range and low altitudes in a wide open field at Albuquerque's Balloon Fiesta Park, with no other air traffic nearby, drone, model, or manned (see photo).

However, unlike OP @Macabre's experience, my RC was fully unresponsive each time, so I could only watch as the MPP successfully (precision) landed back at RTH point. This happened one other time last week at home near Seattle, as well.

Neither restarting DJI Go 4 or power cycling the RC helped, MPP only reconnected after it landed and was power cycled. (Regrettably, I didn't have presence of mind to check whether my DJI Goggles remained connected, as they were active but not being worn each time.)

Moto Z2 Force Android phone was in airplane mode during flight, connected at RC side port (not bottom).

RC signal showed full strength at all times, antennae were correctly aimed. No intermittent disconnects or signal interference warnings.

No consistency on flight time, distance, or altitude when the three disconnections occurred, felt random.

Very frustrating, ruining an otherwise fun flying day in an ideal setting for me as a new pilot, and worse, shaking my confidence in my MPP.
3648c7342eca0c93c4f491bff8c328be.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like this has been getting worse!!! I have seen other posts and added some into to one of those too but this was the most recent so will add what happened to me the last time here.

Lost count how many time it has happened to me but luck for me the remote has always been connected so I can control the Mavic. THis last time I was able to fly back to a safe landing spot but before I landed I did the following in an attempt to find the cause.

R/R (Remove and reattach) both ends of the USB cable from the RC to the phone. No changes
Restart the phone. No Changes
Restart the RC, BINGO, everything started working after that. (But why)

In this case all was working fine, video just went to last frame received and had the words in red, "Aircraft disconnected". The remote however never stated any issues and continued to correctly control the Mavic.

Ideas?

Reactions: DanCernese
I was getting this fairly often and also the signs of it often... glitchy screen, interference warnings and such. Oddly it happened much more often when I headed in certain direction and ok for others.

It was causing some anxiety so in the end I paid for the litchi app and it has been solid. No glitching nor disconnects. I even sent the drone quite far into the "bad zone" mentioned above yesterday and had no issues whatsoever.

I'm not saying Litchi will solve the problem in your casevbut it's worth a try given the investment we have in this hobby.

Ps... tried different cables and different phones including a dedicated phone just with Go4 on it and in airplane mode. Still had disconnects.

Now running my normal Note 8 with all apps on it along with Litchi.

Same issue here for the first time yesterday. Couldn’t reconnect no matter what I tried. In a new place now and not messing with DGI Go anymore while I’m here. I have Litchi on both my iPhone 6s+ and the dedicated Wonderphone so until someone figures this out (there are other threads started in February) I’m all Litchi...

Reactions: Salla50
Sorry to say, this happened to me again yesterday, as well, my first disconnection since exchanging my MPP bundle at Costco, after ascertaining faulty RC (overheating, I suspected) was causing my close range disconnections between both RC and AC, and RC and Djigo4 app.

However, what was very different on this latest disconnection is that the RC continued to have control while Djigo4 reported "Aircraft Disconnected" with no video feed. Nothing I attempted restored app connection - restarting app, power cycling RC, reattaching USB. Fortunately, the MPP was close, and I was able to land at the takeoff point.

Starting to wonder if my Moto Z2 Force Edition phone may have some incompatibility in the USB circuitry, e.g. related to its USB-C fast charging capability.

Same issue here for the first time yesterday. Couldn’t reconnect no matter what I tried. In a new place now and not messing with DGI Go anymore while I’m here. I have Litchi on both my iPhone 6s+ and the dedicated Wonderphone so until someone figures this out (there are other threads started in February) I’m all Litchi...

just went out for a flight with litchi in to my normal no go area with GO 4, quite far over an uninhabited area mountains, trees and such into the zone which habitually cuts out with Go 4. My nerve gave out before the Mavic connection showed any signs of problems and I returned home. Marvellous. Chalk and chees difference.

As a result I got some pics I would never had been able to achieve previously.

Attachments

• DJI_0079.JPG
    DJI_0079.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 77
related to its USB-C fast charging capability.
I came here to pile on, and your thought about fast charging got me trying to remember all my symptoms. It includes warnings about the battery discharging faster than it can charge, a slow charger, and such. I wonder if there's a way to turn all that charging off?

Not that I know of on the MP1, but it is now a setting available on Mavic 2.

Using the remote controller bottom port vs side port seems to have alleviated disconnects, which may also have to do with using a much higher quality USB cable.

That said, I did recently have two unexplained aircraft (vs phone) disconnects, which invoked automatic RTH. Both times I was able to power cycle the remote, reconnect, and cancel RTH. I actually still suspect heat related cause, as these incidents occurred in hot sunny conditions.

Putting my Samsung S9 into airplane mode definitely improved the situation! Not completed solved yet.

it is ALWAYS a problem with the phone or phone connection if just the GO 4 quits. Sometimes the phone ceases so hard it kills the RC too.
There are at least 100 threads on this, where it is is eventually solved for those OP's.
I would start with a search for YOUR phone model, and read through all those. Because sometimes there are model specific issues.
Otherwise there will be a bunch of trouble shooting steps to take.

I'm still suspect of the RC compatibility with fast charging USB circuitry on misc Android models.
I am no Android guy, but I have seen this discussed many times, and have seen where it was said there is a setting in the phone that can shut that off. Because you might not always have the high output charger to use it, and it overheats cheap wall blocks.

Just a follow-up for me, at least. If I put the phone in airplane mode everything works all the time.
Often the case when you have some app running in the background using up phone resources. If you dont know what that app is, you may want to wipe that phone and start over. Could be a malicious app you dont realize you have running.

So a couple of times my DJI Go app reported aircraft disconnected while the RC was functioning fine. Once I flew close to a cell tower so I figured that must've caused the interference. But next time there were no towers nearby and it disconnected. It's not a big problem because the RC still works and I can hit RTH function, but maybe someone knows what's causing this problem?
There's a chance there was interference the second time without the tower.

Unfortunately, I don't remember when it happened so I don't have the flight log data.
I've been having the same problem. I determined that my batteries are swelling and pushing out, that causes the craft to disconnect. If you don't have line of sight, it can be scary. Thank goodness for rth.

I've been having the same problem. I determined that my batteries are swelling and pushing out, that causes the craft to disconnect. If you don't have line of sight, it can be scary. Thank goodness for rth.

How can RTH help you when the battery is pushed out???

How can RTH help you when the battery is pushed out???
I don't know the exact mechanics of how this works, but when the battery swells and pushes away from the drone, it partially disconnects from the contacts and completely disconnects from the controller. There is no video image, or map to manually return home. The only option is the RTH button. The first battery this happened with, the battery swelled to the point that the entire drone lost power and it fell to the ground like a rock. Thank goodness I was in the process of landing and only about a foot of the ground. This is crazy. I have four batteries that are only about a year old, that have been charge less than twenty times. I keep them in the fireproof bags, with rubber protectors on the contacts, discharge them completely every 10 charges and never try to recharge them when they are still hot from flying. I have no idea what I need to do to correct having to spend $250 to replace them after one year of minimal use and doing my best to use them responsibly. So beware, when these batteries swell, the will disconnect and unless you have line of sight, your only way to pilot the drone home safely will be with RTH button and pray it lands before you have complete power failure.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu