DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go4 on older iPad Air2: is there a Go4 version best option?

pchaps

Reactions
Givens: iPad Air 2, M2P, iOS v14.8,
Need: IF there are options to load older Go4 version(s), what is the best (most stable) version of DJI Go4 app to install given my system?
note: I can indeed find one older version of Go4 on the DJI website!

The rest of the story: I recently bought both a M2P and have only flown homebuilts with a Taranis controller before. I intend to use my mint iPad Air 2 and load Go4 today. Being new to this, and reading/watching until 2am each night to learn, I had do wonder about Go4 versions and if there is a most stable version for my iPad Air2+M2P. Apparently there is at least one older Go4 version listed under an older aircraft at DJI dotcom for download. In reading reviews on the Apple app store, I do see that some comments state "the older version worked better," and so Ive learned to ask before I leap.

At this time, Go4 v4.3.46 is listed as the lastest version and it does list iPad Air 2 as compatible. Should I just use that?
I didnt think any older version was available until I saw this: Mavic Air 2 - Downloads - DJI where there is Go4 V 1.6.8

You do have a problem. #1 Apple will not let you download older versions of apps. Your M2P can be flown with two different DJI apps, GO4 and Fly. I have both of these installed on an iPad Air using iOS 12.5.6. I also used them on a mini 4 iPad and they worked OK until the iOS updated to 14. Then the CPU would overload and the video transmission would lag to a point where I could not safely fly my drones. #2 Sadly Apple also will not let you roll back the iOS version.
I suggest you try the latest version of GO4 in the iTunes Store and test it out.
Personally, I upgraded to a mini6 after the mini4 crapped out. It has loads of HP and can do smooth screen recordings while flying.
ps version 1.6.8 is for the Fly app, the GO4 app is v4.3.50

Reactions: pchaps
You do have a problem. #1 Apple will not let you download older versions of apps. Your M2P can be flown with two different DJI apps, GO4 and Fly. I have both of these installed on an iPad Air using iOS 12.5.6. I also used them on a mini 4 iPad and they worked OK until the iOS updated to 14. Then the CPU would overload and the video transmission would lag to a point where I could not safely fly my drones. #2 Sadly Apple also will not let you roll back the iOS version.
I suggest you try the latest version of GO4 in the iTunes Store and test it out.
Personally, I upgraded to a mini6 after the mini4 crapped out. It has loads of HP and can do smooth screen recordings while flying.
ps version 1.6.8 is for the Fly app, the GO4 app is v4.3.50
Thank you for all this most useful information. I did not know that I could use both Go4 and Fly for Mavic 2 (and sure enough the link I noted was for Fly-go figure. Good catch!), Thes iOS version issue with lag is of course a major concern to me. I will install Go4 and see if my iPadAir fairs any better. If not, my plans are changed greatly. Lastly, regarding video lag, was the lag aggravated by screen recording, or was it a gremlin simply during live video feed in-flight?

Thank you for all this most useful information. I did not know that I could use both Go4 and Fly for Mavic 2 (and sure enough the link I noted was for Fly-go figure. Good catch!), Thes iOS version issue with lag is of course a major concern to me. I will install Go4 and see if my iPadAir fairs any better. If not, my plans are changed greatly. Lastly, regarding video lag, was the lag aggravated by screen recording, or was it a gremlin simply during live video feed in-flight?
The video lag was an issue using the Fly app and I was not using a screen recorder.
Hopefully, the GO4 app works smoothly for you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ