DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello and help from a total newb in AZ

Jimmythewah

Reactions
My younger brother has wowed the family holidays with his DJI mini and I have always dreamt of a drone myself.
I'm in commercial real estate management and it would be a great help for me to inspect roofs ect. and a lot of fun.
Before Christmas once of our tenants was a total deadbeat and disappeared, we ended up locking out and siezing the property and it's contents.
In the back in the corner I found a backpack, which low and behold had a unused big drone with a head piece and goggles.
Unsure what exactly I had found (it is a good job for pickin) I have now surmised I have a Mavic Pro 2 with the RC N1 and DJI googles (with the red headband).
It appears all is in order and how it was opened.
I thought today would be the day to fire this bad boy up and go flying, unfortunately I have spent the last 4 hrs buggering with it going into deep you tube holes many of which are years old.

I understand and the big bummer is this is an older unsupported model.
I have downloaded the GO4 and Ifly apps today (assume they are latest version).
No sure why this one came with the RC N1 didnt look standard, but I have sorted that out at least in identifiying.

Now the big challange has been the firmware issue.
Both remote and aircraft turn on and blink.

I was able to connect through wired to my Iphone the RC. What I am finding in the set up is it appears there is not a Pro 2 update, is there a compatible? I downloaded the 3 classic.
When trying to pair I come up with nothing from the aircraft. I have tried the little button on the sied as well.
I am thinking I need to update firmware of aircraft however I am unable to communicate and have tried hard wiring to computer (mac) and still nothing just spinning my wheels and not any rotars.

Any input and guidance would be very much appriciated.
This is a super cool find and believe there are 1000 backed upped toilets and broken A.C.'s for every sweet score.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
WOW!
Look for a lot of info.
There will be a link to actual manual.

Personal, update the firmware, last resort.

The members will help you out !!

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Rod.

I have a Mavic Pro 2 with the RC N1
The RC-N1 is not compatible with the Mavic 2
Are you sure about the drone and controller models?
Some photos of details might be useful.
I have downloaded the GO4 and Ifly apps today (assume they are latest version).
Go 4 is the appropriate app (if you have a Mavic 2).
Not sure what the Ifly app is ... it's not a DJI app.
DJI Fly is a DJI app but it isn't compatible with the Mavic 2 - it is the appropriate app for the RC-N1 and the Mavic 3 pro.
Now the big challange has been the firmware issue.

I was able to connect through wired to my Iphone the RC. What I am finding in the set up is it appears there is not a Pro 2 update, is there a compatible? I downloaded the 3 classic.
Ignore firmware updates before you get things sorted out.
They aren't important.

You need to know what models you have.
The Mavic 3 came out years after the Mavic 2 series.
Their controllers, firmware and flying apps are not compatible with each other.

Last edited:
Hello from the Crossroads of America Jimmythewah.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

In the back in the corner I found a backpack, which low and behold had a unused big drone with a head piece and goggles.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

First off, you need to knos that DJI Drones are User Account and most are logged on via the Email address of the owner,

Click on the Profile and see if the unit is still logged into the account, then you do not have the treasure you think.

As a newb, You might want to bring it to a DJI Store if one is near and find out what is what. IF the original owner logged out or the software logged it out. I often have to log back in after and upgrade in the firmware, then the wind is gone from your sales…

Go to YouTube for more information about DJI User Accounts… However, if you can get the drone working, then continue reading…

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…). Your Drone weighs more than 250-grams (0.55 pounds), and even while you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are required to register your Drone.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute
Get your FAA TRUST Certificate of Completion to legally fly drones for recreational reasons in the United States.
trust.pilotinstitute.com trust.pilotinstitute.com

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live in Arizona, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 6- feet (2-meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Fly On and Fly Safe…

Thank you all for the warm welcome and insight.
Hmmm, yeah it looked like this was not the standard paring of AC and RC.

Will look into registration and local shop.
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2948.jpeg
    IMG_2948.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2949.jpeg
    IMG_2949.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2950.jpeg
    IMG_2950.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2951.jpeg
    IMG_2951.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2952.jpeg
    IMG_2952.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: RodPad and Cafguy
Corrected for myself NOT paying attention Sorry But--Do the googles have the little antenna that mounts on the top? you may not need it BUT some of us do :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
Looking on Ebay you can get the correct controller for around 100-150 bucks and you could sell the one you have for around 60 bucks
Well that is strange, but the whole situation is strange with this guy. It's appears to be unused and so why one would invest all and get the wrong controller. From what I gather I need either a RC1A, RC1B or a smart controller$$$

The RC-N1 is not compatible with the Mavic 2
Are you sure about the drone and controller models?
Some photos of details might be useful.

Go 4 is the appropriate app (if you have a Mavic 2).
Not sure what the Ifly app is ... it's not a DJI app.
DJI Fly is a DJI app but it isn't compatible with the Mavic 2 - it is the appropriate app for the RC-N1 and the Mavic 3 pro.

Ignore firmware updates before you get things sorted out.
They aren't important.

You need to know what models you have.
The Mavic 3 came out years after the Mavic 2 series.
Their controllers, firmware and flying apps are not compatible with each other.
Thank you Meta.
I have posted more info in the thread.
I appriciate your help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member