DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles and VLOS

Reelman67

Reactions
Is a spotter actually required? Or just good safety practice? Can a person fly scoping the area first? I tend to fly in rural areas and stay well under 400' AGL. I have not yet flown using my goggles but maybe will change my mind once I have experienced firsthand.

Reelman, I assume you are inquiring about rules in USA. I believe they are quite explicit for recreational or commercial pilots using FPV Goggle needing to have a spotter to maintain VLOS. The goggles give you, the pilot, a good view of whatever the camera is pointed at, but no sense of what is around the aircraft in other directions.

Reelman, I assume you are inquiring about rules in USA. I believe they are quite explicit for recreational or commercial pilots using FPV Goggle needing to have a spotter to maintain VLOS. The goggles give you, the pilot, a good view of whatever the camera is pointed at, but no sense of what is around the aircraft in other directions.
Yes, I am aware of this but it is problematic to find someone to act as a spotter for me. Most of the people I know are out playing golf. They have no interest. Makes it difficult for spur of the moment flying.

Yes, I am aware of this but it is problematic to find someone to act as a spotter for me. Most of the people I know are out playing golf. They have no interest. Makes it difficult for spur of the moment flying.
i use dji goggles and fly alone all the time,my hearing works very well and if i hear so much as a pin drop i take them off and look around,with that said i recently purchased the epson bt-300 glasses that allow you to look around and see through the drone like goggles would and love them.

In the US, VLOS is required! VLOS essentially means one must use only unaided vision (except for corrective lenses). The use, of goggles only, infers one is flying in violation of FAA directives. I would recommend to individuals who insist on flying with goggles, not using a spotter, not to advertise.

If using Goggles and no VO you are operating well outside of the Federal Regulations. How you handle that is up to you and your own personal moral compass. . .

Reactions: Thomas B and awsan5
i don’t fly over people,i don’t fly around airfields or airports i don’t fly over homes or over 400’ in fact i don’t bother anyone in anyway, i one time brought my drone down when hot air balloons appeared out of no where,flying drones is a release for me its something personal it represents a sense of freedom when we are losing them because of gov interference,what i do has nothing to do with morals it’s more to do with common sense and being free to do what i want.

I am having great difficulty with them, I find the curser far too sensitive when scrolling the camera settings
i only navigate using the lower part of the android device but i know what you mean,i’ve gotten use to it i guess

i don’t fly over people,i don’t fly around airfields or airports i don’t fly over homes or over 400’ in fact i don’t bother anyone in anyway, i one time brought my drone down when hot air balloons appeared out of no where,flying drones is a release for me its something personal it represents a sense of freedom when we are losing them because of gov interference,what i do has nothing to do with morals it’s more to do with common sense and being free to do what i want.

Morals have to do with picking and choosing which laws you want to follow and which ones you do not. Just because you choose to follow some of them doesn't make you in the right regardless of how you want to look at it. You're either following the law or you're not and in this case you are NOT following the laws. It's really that simple.

Reactions: awsan5
Morals have to do with picking and choosing which laws you want to follow and which ones you do not. Just because you choose to follow some of them doesn't make you in the right regardless of how you want to look at it. You're either following the law or you're not and in this case you are NOT following the laws. It's really that simple.
I wouldn't want to be your neighbour.?

I find flying with goggles without spotter less immoral than - for example - speeding in a residential neighborhood... (the first being no more than a 2 on the immorality scale, while the latter is a solid 10)

Reactions: Bill combs
I think most drone pilots are guilty of breaking a few FAA rules on a regular basis. I think my goggles make me a safer pilot, at least safer in that I'm less likely to collide with a power line or tree branch that I didn't see.

Reactions: Bill combs
I think most drone pilots are guilty of breaking a few FAA rules on a regular basis. I think my goggles make me a safer pilot, at least safer in that I'm less likely to collide with a power line or tree branch that I didn't see.
I agree,I wonder who the faa spoke to about vlos and goggles?when I use my goggles I'm very observant of my environment but then again I can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time,just because someone makes a regulation doesn't make it right.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ