DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles: Are they worth it???

My experience is I purchased with the $100 off special, it took two weeks to get them and had to prompt DJI support to find out why they had not shipped in over a week after ordering. Recieved them this past week and discovered they are not compatible with my particular prescription. I have astigmatism and use progressive lenses. I researched using the lens inserts but they are not compatible with glasses. I think the only way I could feasibly use them would be to get a special pair of prescription glasses so that the "reading" area of my current glasses would be in the center of the lens rather than the bottom. This would be expensive and impractical because I would then need to switch glasses when removing or raising the goggles. I fly the Mavic Pro and absolutely love it. I'm very disappointed that I can't try the goggles out but hopeful future updates will allow use of progressive lens wearers like myself.

I wear multifocal contact lenses and they work pretty well with drugstore reading glasses. Multifocal contacts have concentric bands of correction and somehow your brain just sorts out focus. Because of this I can wear reading glasses with contacts if I'm doing close-up work or need a little more detail. With the goggles on just with contacts I get a lot of eyestrain that goes away with the addition of reading glasses.

That said the primary reason I bought the goggles was to demo drones to friends and family. Since I usually fly alone I don't get much chance to use them myself. My nephew really enjoyed flying around FPV and has since joined the school robotics team. DJI could make them a lot more useful by releasing an API or hardware interface for using them in VR applications. The head tracking is very responsive. And we could get a lot more utility out of a somewhat expensive peripheral.

When using the HDMI port a lot of the quality depends on the source. When connected to my iPhone the picture is fairly good and easy to watch over time. When connected to my MacBook it causes some eyestrain and the picture seems a little "fuzzy." I'm sure I could sit down and figure out just what combination of scan rate and resolution will fix it, but I don't use them often enough with my Mac to matter.

My experiences with the Goggles:

PRO:
- Real flying experience, like looking at a big screen television from a metre distance, wide field-of-view, a lot fo fun.
- When DJI Go dies (it happened a few times), you can still use the drone with the controller and the Goggles, can keep on filming instead of returning to home.
- You can steer the gimbal with your head movements, very useful when making videos. I found it useful also for photography, it is much easier to compose the picture.
- It can be used by anybody, you can give it to a child or a passer-by, they can see everything but can't tamper with the drone's flight.

CON:
- The colours are quite faded, nowhere near to the CrytalSky's picture. Since we have the 7.85" monitor, the Goggles are not so often used...
- When the Goggles are connected, the controller loses some functionality, e.g. C1 and C2 buttons function as the two buttons on the Goggles, the 5-way switch acts as a mouse for the Goggles. Really annoying because all of these functions are available on the Goggles anyway and I lost other useful functions I programmed to these buttons.
- Drone can't record 4K video in certain view modes
- You can't use it alone. You are required by law to keep an eye contact with the drone, so you need someone else to be with you.
- Some functions are available only on the tablet so you have to take off the Goggles or let the other guy manage the tablet.
- For me at least, it can't stay on my head when the Goggles are folded up, I have take it off when not using it.

Conclusion: it is fun but if you have to choose between the Goggles and the 7.85" CrytalSky, then go for the monitor.

Hi all,

I’ve been an avid drone guy for about 10 years now and I currently own the Mavic Pro.
I have never used any type of goggles for flying before but always been intrigued by it.

I am interested in the DJI Goggles but I am not sure if they are worth the purchase.

What is it that you like about them when paired with the Mavic?

Does it give you the sensation of being in the air?

Is the dual use of the goggles worth using such as connecting to cable box, PlayStation, etc?

Or is this just a thing you use for a few flights before the novelty wears off and then you wanna sell it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hello all,
I have both the DJI goggles and the Epson Moverio BT300 Augmented Reality AR glasses.
I love them both so much I do not know which to take with me sometimes!
Both my Mavic Pro and Spark work well with both, and I travel the world in my job over 300 days each year using one or the other. Deciding which to take is difficult!
The goggles are cool due to wireless, ability to fly w/o phone, headtracking, and hooking multiple sets up, etc.
The Moverio is awesome too as they are small, CAN connect either wireless or with a USB to mini USB adapter (for the Spark) and you can keep line of sight and see all your video and info like a heads up display.
I use the darkest Rochester shades (for best viewing in bright light) and have them a little down on my nose, to just look over them for LOS.
I also have CrystalSky but end up using these more in bright light.
Basically the Moverio is a screenless android phone that uses the glasses as the screen.
I was hesitant about Android at first but I have had zero issues so far, and has been as reliable as my iphone.
For me it is a toss up depending on the situation. If I am withothers and want them to experience the flight...Goggles.
If I am alone and need to maintain LOS in bright light and occasionally let someone look in them...or have a travel size limit...Moverio.
Much else but those are the basics.
Hope this helps...

Thanks for all the replies all.

But has anyone tried watching a film or using them on a gaming system?

I hooked them up to my PS4 to play. It works pretty well, just like playing on a large projector.

With that said, I had the DJI goggles for 6 months and recently sold them. While they are cool, the novelty wore off pretty fast for me and I realized I wasn’t using them much anymore. The biggest reason is I did not like people coming up to me when I was flying my Mavic Pro and talking to me and not being able to see them. I got startled a few times too. They also seemed to cut down the range of my Mavic too, so I ended up selling.

Fun to play with but you might get bored of them like me.

You do not need 20/20. Even if you wear reading glasses they fit right in. Or you can put the magnifying lenses that are meant for it in.
I wear bifocals and while my glasses fit inside I have been unable to use goggles of any kind because I am unable to focus on anything that close to my face, glasses or not. I'm only able to use a sun hood by being able to tilt my head relative to the screen in order to get clear focus.

Do the magnifying lenses you mention come with the goggles? If not, how do you get them and how do you ensure they are the correct lenses for your eyes, etc. I would love to experience that kind of immersion, but am unwilling to drop the bucks only to find I can't see clearly with them.

Also, it seems they would be incompatible with shooting video as the gimbal following head movements would be quite distracting. Just wondering. Thanks!

I bought the googles while waiting for my Mavic platy to arrive. The first thing I noticed was that there was no diopter control. Very blurry for my 53 y/o eyes.
Someone out there is making eyeglass inserts and they look well made, but I went the cheaters route. I bought a bunch of $5 cheaters in +1.50,+2.00,+2.50,+3.00 and tried them all. I went with the +2.00 and cut the arms off and hot glued them into the goggles. (just a dot of hot glue on the bridge worked well).
This works for me. I hope Goggles II have a diopter control.

I have a set and love them for all mentioned above. Very reasonable price for the incredible experience. I'll speak to one thing not mentioned much which is the weight. I'm an average sized middle aged man that had neck surgery 6 months ago. I notice absolutely no pain, discomfort or tiredness from it. I was a little concerned given some prior comments and their size. However, they are balanced well front to rear. I'm sure some of the other goggles are lighter but the full immersion experience of the large screens is impressive.

I hooked them up to my PS4 to play. It works pretty well, just like playing on a large projector.

With that said, I had the DJI goggles for 6 months and recently sold them. While they are cool, the novelty wore off pretty fast for me and I realized I wasn’t using them much anymore. The biggest reason is I did not like people coming up to me when I was flying my Mavic Pro and talking to me and not being able to see them. I got startled a few times too. They also seemed to cut down the range of my Mavic too, so I ended up selling.

Fun to play with but you might get bored of them like me.

how much range did you loose?

I just cannot seem to get over the price. I had a $100 coupon email, but through the DJI store it was still over $350 I think. Hard to convince myself to grab them but would love to see videos you guys have with them ;)

R

(I shall live vicariously through all of you heh)

Reactions: tfmkevin
I couldn't imagine not having the goggles with my Mavic. IMO, it is half the experience.

As others have mentioned, it's really cool to let other people wear the goggles and be able to take them for a ride that I control. I've done it with my parents and with little kids. It's a cool way to get other people involved with something I enjoy doing. I'd never hand them the controls to my $1K drone but I have no problem strapping the goggles onto them.

I have a Mavic Pro and a P4, and just started using the Goggles last week on a trip to sunny Florida. Wow, a game changer, especially in bright sunlight,
No more squinting at mobile device, so flying with them (gotta have a trained spotter along) is a real joy, and putting your companion(s) under the hood while you fly is really adds your friend(s) to fun.

These goggles are really optimized for Mavic Pro and P4, so I'm doubly happy. I'm not comfortable customizing the DJI gear with third party stuff. I like the Espon Moveros, but with them you're still dealing with bright sunshine and it's not immersive, but that's just me.

All the best,

They are fantastic.
Why do you think so many suppliers sold out so quickly?
Cannot be compared to any other Goggles that came before it.
I have a Pilots License and flying with the Mavic in Gimbal-Lock mode means I can just look around at the scenery without changing course just like a real plane.
No need to swing the camera Down when landing just look at where you want to land.
Show friends you're flight videos in the Goggles DVR which is 1080p, play games, watch movies.
I'm suprised they didnt cost more.

Reactions: Brandaloo
Thanks for all the replies all.

But has anyone tried watching a film or using them on a gaming system?
Have them and love them. Use them with my mavic, inspire and racer. I have connected them to an Xbox and had a blast. My daughter loves them for playing overwatch. My only complaint is that unlike my old Fatsharks, there is no cooling fan and they fog for me at times.

I've read that the Mavic Pro will support two goggles. If so, how is the gimble controlled? Is one a slave and the other the master?

Thanks,

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc