DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI goggles focus problem

skypilot777

Reactions
I am a senior pilot and love the goggles, it's just that they are never quite in focus, a sharp picture is one of their main attractions and i would dearly love to use them with a clear sharp focus. I have purchased 6 pairs of reading glasses from +1.5 through 3.5 besides the reading glasses I usually wear. The +3 reading glasses give me the best picture, but alas, it is still out of focus. I have ordered a pair of adjustable glasses and a pair of DJI focus fixer + 3.5 lenses because my prescription is + 2.5. I hope one of these measures will help. I am so bummed I do no even feel like flying my wonderful mavic pro anymore until I can figure out this goggle focus problem because once you have used the goggles view nothing else compares for me. I have been flying my mavic pro for only one year. Do any of you more seasoned pilots have any advice?
Thank you very much,
Tim

Hi skypilot777
I had the same problem when i first used the goggles. I dont know why dji dont have a focus control. Like you I tried various strength reading glasses which were a big improvement visually, but a hassle having to swap glasses all the time and they tended to fog easily.
I found, online, sets of 3d printed lens holders that clipped inside the goggles. These have made the goggles much more user friendly.....at least for me. The lenses i got were 3.5 from memory. The picture is still a bit fuzzy at the extreme edges but still very useable. I love the big picture with all the extra visible detail and no ambient light problems.
Technically my solo flying is no longer line of sight, so need someone else as a spotter when flying, but the view is wonderful.
Greetings from New Zealand

Reactions: mmoguls and Gindra
I had almost the same experience, starting with readers, then the DJI inserts all to no avail. My solution was to get “custom” prescription inserts. I found a company in Germany called rho-lens that will make a pair of inserts based on your regular prescription. They do a little change to your regular prescription to account for the very short focus distance of the goggles but the end result for me was fantastic. If I remember right they were about $80 USD. I highly recommend them.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Last edited:
I will certainly look into the RHO-Lens; the weird strange thing about the whole situation is that when I insert the sd card from the Mavic Pro into the goggles and play it back the focus is perfectly clear, I ask myself how can that be if it is only a matter related to my glasses or lens? It is almost as if the signal received by the goggles is distorted or weak. The screen capture image from the goggles is also out of focus and around 500 kb when the same photo image from the mavic pro sd card played back in the goggles is very sharp and around 5 mb. What a mystery... any ideas?

Sounds like
I will certainly look into the RHO-Lens; the weird strange thing about the whole situation is that when I insert the sd card from the Mavic Pro into the goggles and play it back the focus is perfectly clear, I ask myself how can that be if it is only a matter related to my glasses or lens? It is almost as if the signal received by the goggles is distorted or weak. The screen capture image from the goggles is also out of focus and around 500 kb when the same photo image from the mavic pro sd card played back in the goggles is very sharp and around 5 mb. What a mystery... any ideas?
Sounds like a real mystery. The prescription lens will not help that. I would check the playback on several devices and try several sources for the material as well. I wonder if there is a small difference in resolution or frame rate. I would make sure the camera settings and the LiveView setting are the same. Worst case it could be defective goggles. Good luck.

I had almost the same experience, starting with readers, then the DJI inserts all to no avail. My solution was to get “custom” prescription inserts. I found a company in Germany called rho-lens that will make a pair of inserts based on your regular prescription. They do a little change to your regular prescription to account for the very short focus distance of the goggles but the end result for me was fantastic. If I remember right they were about $80 USD. I highly recommend them.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Do you know what strength are your regular reading glasses and what strength are your Rho-lens? I am 1.25 readers and find I need 2.50 cheap glasses in the goggles. I love the sound of these, as messing with one pair of glasses for the iPhone and another pair for the goggles is such a pain!

Do you know what strength are your regular reading glasses and what strength are your Rho-lens? I am 1.25 readers and find I need 2.50 cheap glasses in the goggles. I love the sound of these, as messing with one pair of glasses for the iPhone and another pair for the goggles is such a pain!
My regular prescription is a 2.5 and I found some +3.25 that worked OK but the situation is more complex. I have an astigmatism which makes different parts of my eye focus differently. Fairly common I am told. Just magnifiers are not enough. The Rho-Lens folks take your complete eye prescription and then do some adjustments to account for the extra short focus distance of the goggles to make your custom lens. I have learned that optometrists and other eye doctors measure your close vision at 16 inches while the goggles have an effective focus distance less than this. This is typically why you need around a +1 magnification on top of normal readers. The folks at Rho-Lens would not disclose what actual added magnification they use. Their competitive advantage?

My regular prescription is a 2.5 and I found some +3.25 that worked OK but the situation is more complex. I have an astigmatism which makes different parts of my eye focus differently. Fairly common I am told. Just magnifiers are not enough. The Rho-Lens folks take your complete eye prescription and then do some adjustments to account for the extra short focus distance of the goggles to make your custom lens. I have learned that optometrists and other eye doctors measure your close vision at 16 inches while the goggles have an effective focus distance less than this. This is typically why you need around a +1 magnification on top of normal readers. The folks at Rho-Lens would not disclose what actual added magnification they use. Their competitive advantage?
Thank you . So that sounds like the 2.5's should be perfect for me!

I am having exactly the same problems - i wonder if there is a fault with the goggles. Let me know if you find a solution
cheers
mike

I suggest you both try an experiment. Record a short clip at a resolution of 720p and then compare it to the LiveView display set to 720p. If these are different you may have defective goggles.

I suggest you both try an experiment. Record a short clip at a resolution of 720p and then compare it to the LiveView display set to 720p. If these are different you may have defective goggles.
I have done some experimentation - this is what I did.
Flew the Mavic with only the controller and the goggles to eliminate problems with the go4 app- no difference.
Refreshed the software on the goggles, the controller and the mavic - no difference.
Viewed the images from the mavic using aircraft storage ie images already on the sd card in the mavic via the goggles - still soft.
Viewed the samples from dji via the goggles - perfect.
Viewed the images with the sd card pluged into the goggles - perfect.
I think the next step is to contact DJI - would you agree?

I have done some experimentation - this is what I did.
Flew the Mavic with only the controller and the goggles to eliminate problems with the go4 app- no difference.
Refreshed the software on the goggles, the controller and the mavic - no difference.
Viewed the images from the mavic using aircraft storage ie images already on the sd card in the mavic via the goggles - still soft.
Viewed the samples from dji via the goggles - perfect.
Viewed the images with the sd card pluged into the goggles - perfect.
I think the next step is to contact DJI - would you agree?
You have been fairly thorough but I am still wondering if you are a seeing a difference in resolution that looks like softness. Can you do the experiment I proposed? That would be a definitive test. The DJI samples can be misleading because I believe that there are heavily processed to look sharp (in my opinion artificially so).

You have been fairly thorough but I am still wondering if you are a seeing a difference in resolution that looks like softness. Can you do the experiment I proposed? That would be a definitive test. The DJI samples can be misleading because I believe that there are heavily processed to look sharp (in my opinion artificially so).
A clip recorded at 720 and played on computer or via memory card in the goggles is perfect but the liveview is definately not focused properly.
Faulty goggles??

A clip recorded at 720 and played on computer or via memory card in the goggles is perfect but the liveview is definately not focused properly.
Faulty goggles??
I know it’s a silly question but is your drone camera focused, is it set to autofocus? You could try to check the camera setting within the goggles menu with the drone powered on with live video. Make sure it is set to autofocus continuous. You don’t need to be flying.

If that’s Ok then it sounds like faulty transmission with the goggles.

I know it’s a silly question but is your drone camera focused, is it set to autofocus? You could try to check the camera setting within the goggles menu with the drone powered on with live video. Make sure it is set to autofocus continuous. You don’t need to be flying.

If that’s Ok then it sounds like faulty transmission with the goggles.
I have been on to DJI today and after going through a number of tests they recommend I send the goggles for repair. This is a problem with finding a repair centre open. I will have to live with it for a while.

Reactions: Camino Ken
A new twist...the DJI corrective lenses for the regular and racing edition are only for those that use reading glasses. The lenses for the new DJI Digital FPV googles are only for those that need distant vision glasses. The lenses are different shapes and presumably not interchangeable. In fact, the different types are shown under accessories for the respective goggles with no indication they are interchangeable. Can anyone explain that other than...”typical DJI”? I guess no one that flys FPV needs reading glasses and no one who flys regular or racing edition needs distant vision correction.

A new twist...the DJI corrective lenses for the regular and racing edition are only for those that use reading glasses. The lenses for the new DJI Digital FPV googles are only for those that need distant vision glasses. The lenses are different shapes and presumably not interchangeable. In fact, the different types are shown under accessories for the respective goggles with no indication they are interchangeable. Can anyone explain that other than...”typical DJI”? I guess no one that flys FPV needs reading glasses and no one who flys regular or racing edition needs distant vision correction.
Not sure about the ones for the FPV version but I can tell you for the white and RE versions the reading glassing are useful because the effective focal distance is around 8-12 inches and optometrists typically measure your eyes at 16 inches so most people need a little more magnification. These didn’t work for me because of my Complex prescription. I went with a custom set of lenses made by RHO-lens and they work great.

Not sure about the ones for the FPV version but I can tell you for the white and RE versions the reading glassing are useful because the effective focal distance is around 8-12 inches and optometrists typically measure your eyes at 16 inches so most people need a little more magnification. These didn’t work for me because of my Complex prescription. I went with a custom set of lenses made by RHO-lens and they work great.
The lenses for the reg and racing goggles are pos corrections for reading glasses....+2, +2.5, +3.0, etc. All the lenses for the FPV goggles are for nearsighted people that need help with distant vision. The DJI lenses are -8.0, -6.0, -4.0, -2.0.

It seems everyone has a different reaction to the lenses. For me, they don’t work probably because of my stigmatism. For most of us with those kind of issues, only a custom lens would work and I have read reports where some have done that successfully.

Reactions: Camino Ken
My regular glasses made things worse. It was fuzzy without them and just a blueish/green blur with them. Mine was a quick fix with 2.5 readers. Readers I need nowhere else except the RE goggles.

Pre-virus I kept a pair of 2.0, 2.5 & 3.0 readers in the goggles box for visitors. I still keep a box of alcohol wipes in it for the face seal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato