DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles or DJI Spark ?

scott rand

Reactions
I've been thinking about getting the DJI Goggles, I think they are an amazing piece of tech that would enhance the flying experience of my Mavic. Just like the Mavic though, I'm going to wait a bit because they are quite pricy at $450 US. It got me to thinking, what would you do if you had an extra $450 laying around ?

Would you get the DJI Goggles, or pay an extra $50 and get the DJI Spark. Obviously I'd like both, but my money would go towards the Goggles. I like the idea of the Spark, but the Mavic can do so much more (besides the hand gestures) than the Spark, and when folded, it's just as portable (maybe more portable). Which way would you go ?

Reactions: hychewright
I own the goggles, and have used them extensively in the past 3 weeks. As you said, an amazing piece of tech, and even though they're a little clunky, they work well and the image is gorgeous.
However ........ if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't buy them and here's why.
They're a "nice to have" ..... but absolutely not a "must have"! They're fun.....but really when it comes down to the brass tax, .... unpractical. As a hobbyist, what 'practical' application would you argue for any goggles per-se', not just the DJI goggles. Do you fly your Mavic for the image you see on the screen (or goggles), or do you fly for the recorded video (cinematography). I think you have to answer that question first.

They're also expensive for what they do @ $450........sure image is nice, but again, nice doesn't = function.

In retrospect a new iPad 4 mini would probably be more "functional" to me than the goggles. No interest in the spark for the same reason's, so iPad Mini is the best of these 3 options (imho)

I own the goggles, and have used them extensively in the past 3 weeks. As you said, an amazing piece of tech, and even though they're a little clunky, they work well and the image is gorgeous.
However ........ if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't buy them and here's why.
They're a "nice to have" ..... but absolutely not a "must have"! They're fun.....but really when it comes down to the brass tax, .... unpractical. As a hobbyist, what 'practical' application would you argue for any goggles per-se', not just the DJI goggles. Do you fly your Mavic for the image you see on the screen (or goggles), or do you fly for the recorded video (cinematography). I think you have to answer that question first.

They're also expensive for what they do @ $450........sure image is nice, but again, nice doesn't = function.

In retrospect a new iPad 4 mini would probably be more "functional" to me than the goggles. No interest in the spark for the same reason's, so iPad Mini is the best of these 3 options (imho)
Thanks for the input, really appreciate it. I actually think I would fly more if I had the goggles. I really don't fly as often as I would like, it's tough living in the NY area to find places to fly, so I only fly every couple of weeks instead of several times a week.

I fly for the recorded video, but I am by far NOT the greatest videographer (hell, my 17 yo nephew has a better eye for that kind of thing than I do), nor am I the greatest pilot (I'm pretty good, but wouldn't call myself great). But I think the goggles might make me an even better videographer, especially with head tracking. I just really think it's the natural progression of drones. Just wish it was even more immersive, voice commands would have been an amazing feature that would be the killer app to any goggle set.

Thanks for the input, really appreciate it. I actually think I would fly more if I had the goggles. I really don't fly as often as I would like, it's tough living in the NY area to find places to fly, so I only fly every couple of weeks instead of several times a week.

I fly for the recorded video, but I am by far NOT the greatest videographer (****, my 17 yo nephew has a better eye for that kind of thing than I do), nor am I the greatest pilot (I'm pretty good, but wouldn't call myself great). But I think the goggles might make me an even better videographer, especially with head tracking. I just really think it's the natural progression of drones. Just wish it was even more immersive, voice commands would have been an amazing feature that would be the killer app to any goggle set.

Scott, your point re making you better at the videography portion of your experience, I'm really not sure whether the goggles will help ? I do like the fact in the "gimbal tracking" mode that you can LOOK in a certain direction and place, and the gimbal will follow, but.......not sure if that equals better videography ? (ymmv)

Why do you think you'll you'll fly MORE, if you had the goggles ? ....... I don't see the correlation. Actually it's easier to fly quickly without them, so not sure why having the goggles will be a catalyst to your being able to fly?

off topic......last month I was at Bear Mountain State park, NY for a wedding......amazing!! if you can go there, awesome flying places!!!

Scott, your point re making you better at the videography portion of your experience, I'm really not sure whether the goggles will help ? I do like the fact in the "gimbal tracking" mode that you can LOOK in a certain direction and place, and the gimbal will follow, but.......not sure if that equals better videography ? (ymmv)

Why do you think you'll you'll fly MORE, if you had the goggles ? ....... I don't see the correlation. Actually it's easier to fly quickly without them, so not sure why having the goggles will be a catalyst to your being able to fly?

off topic......last month I was at Bear Mountain State park, NY for a wedding......amazing!! if you can go there, awesome flying places!!!

See if you can get a friends goggles to "try" first ....... and then see if you get that emotional response. I'd try that first before dropping 450! I wish i was in NYC, you could try mine anytime, but you'd have to fly clear across the lower 48 to SoCal !

Thanks for the offer. I used to live in California for 7 years from 1999-2006, loved it, but I lived up North by the SF Bay Area. Most beautiful state in the country.

Scott, if you would rather not spend that kind on $ on DJI goggles right now then I would recommend the litchi app for your FPV experience to see if you like it. You would get about the same effect as the DJI goggles only lot less $ IMHO.

The Mavic is one of the best products DJI has made (my 5th DJI aircraft) and its the only one I use now.......and with the goggles, simply awesome!

I've been using (learning how to use) the goggles and I've found the head tracking mode to be an incredible game changer when it comes to lining up or creating a steady shot either still or video.

Before I had to constantly look down and I needed a hood or sunshade to protect from glare......now, it's an IMAX theater on my head. I've even flown from inside my air conditioned car (with impressive results).

The total compatibility you get (wireless for the Mavic) makes it a must! DJI did very well with this combination!

The bottom line; this is an expensive hobby and if your trying to budget, don't.....you get what you pay for!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121