DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles RE Question

Pilotjake

Reactions
Hi all!

Firstly just wanted to thank you guys for being such an awesome and welcoming forum. Just signed up a few days ago and the people here are truly amazing.

I had a bit of a noob question. I recently got DJI RE goggles for my Bday and have been using them with my mavic pro 2

My question is, “and sorry don’t know the technical words” do the googles when paired with the aircraft act as the receiver or does the remote still act as the receiver. If the remote is the receiver does that mean the googles don’t need to be worn with the antenna?

The antenna is only for racing

Third party

The antenna won't make a difference to using the RE goggles with your M2P.
You can fly the drone with your usual device connected, or not.
I recommend starting with both, you can get used to the goggles a bit safer until u=you get familiar with the touch panel and button functions.

I like flying with the ipad mini4 hooked up, and someone else wearing the goggles quite often too, gives others that experience and I can still fly FPV on the device.
Best to bring a camp chair for them ?

Reactions: ATW
The goggles re work in three modes 2.4 ghz 5.8 and dual mode which is the default mode. I have found when using the m2 in 5.8with the goggles set to 5.8 with the antenna the distance nearly doubles. The defeult mode being dual mode meaning a combination of 2.4 and 5.8 I always use the antenna with the m2. Read up and work out what works best for you. Safe flying.

Reactions: Chiuki
The goggles re work in three modes 2.4 ghz 5.8 and dual mode

Ah yes, 2.4 no antenna (my M1P and Spark with cable), but the 5.8 will benefit with the M2P, same frequency as (racing) FPV uses in general.
I guess you just leave it on default dual ?
The manual is pretty light on this info, but it's probably in there somewhere in fine print.

Hi all!

Firstly just wanted to thank you guys for being such an awesome and welcoming forum. Just signed up a few days ago and the people here are truly amazing.

I had a bit of a noob question. I recently got DJI RE goggles for my Bday and have been using them with my mavic pro 2

My question is, “and sorry don’t know the technical words” do the googles when paired with the aircraft act as the receiver or does the remote still act as the receiver. If the remote is the receiver does that mean the googles don’t need to be worn with the antenna?
Your remote is not a receiver, its a transmitter, the Goggles are a receiver, and the Antenna should ALWAYS be attached, its there for a reason, to be exact, Better Reception... Set your settings to dual freq’s, 2.4, 5.8.

Reactions: Chiuki
Your remote is not a receiver, its a transmitter, the Goggles are a receiver, and the Antenna should ALWAYS be attached, its there for a reason, to be exact, Better Reception... Set your settings to dual freq’s, 2.4, 5.8.

Actually, your remote is a transceiver not a receiver or transmitter. It does both, sends and receives.

The antenna should always be on not due to better reception, but because RF transceivers actually use the antenna as a resistor of sorts. Running without an antenna can burn out the transceiver. Unless DJI has accounted for that and disables the transceiver when no antenna is detected.

You are right the info is pretty light and you need to remember if you do change from the default which is dual mode that you change the settings in both DJI GO4 & Goggles . Fly Safe
Ah yes, 2.4 no antenna (my M1P and Spark with cable), but the 5.8 will benefit with the M2P, same frequency as (racing) FPV uses in general.
The manual is pretty light on this info, but it's probably in there somewhere in fine print.

And yes that is correct for the other droes the goggles will default to 2.4 and no need for the antenna

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I have the white goggles, so no external antenna, but otherwise the same. Both the controller and the goggles are transceivers, they both transmit and receive and connect independently to the aircraft. I once turned off the controller and the goggles stayed connected and gave a message that the controller connection was lost. I believe that the antenna on the RE’s are only for analog transmission and have nothing to do with Occusync which is a proprietary digital transmission protocol.

I would definitely keep a transmitter handy and connected while using the goggles, just for the fact if the they lose connection you have a better recovery option. Another thing to keep in mind when using the Goggles is the touch pad is very sensitive and in my opinion poorly designed. It really should be more configurable , like for example ,
  1. changing the confirmation from single tap to double tap
  2. adding a one touch head tracking disable or pause button
I have had to remove my goggles to get a visual on either the drone or some urgent situation around me and if you are flying with head tracking control it is easy to get into trouble fast.
I also tend to touch the glasses or adjust the headset sometimes and the touch pad is very sensitive to erroneous commands

Reactions: Camino Ken
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3