DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles & Reading Glasses

Lone Droner 10

Reactions
So, how many of you out there did all your homework, watched all the DJI info on the new goggles and then watched all the reviews - only to find out after much digging around, unless you have perfect eyesight, you will need some type of reading glasses in order to see the video image on the goggles clear and in relative focus?

Seems like DJI did not want anyone to know that little fact.

Reactions: Mavic 57
I feel your pain, because I need progressive lenses, and trying to flip back and forth between using the goggles and spotting my mavic with VLOS in the sky would be a nightmare, which is why I haven't purchased the goggles.

But I don't think this could be considered to be "keeping a secret" on DJI's behalf. How many other things have you ever purchased that gave you a disclaimer of : "You will need your glasses or contacts if you have less than perfect vision".

When you purchased your TV, or your computer, did anyone let you know that you will need your glasses to view them correctly? I couldn't read a book without my glasses, but I don't think it's up to the publisher to remind me of this.

I feel your pain, because I need progressive lenses, and trying to flip back and forth between using the goggles and spotting my mavic with VLOS in the sky would be a nightmare, which is why I haven't purchased the goggles.

But I don't think this could be considered to be "keeping a secret" on DJI's behalf. How many other things have you ever purchased that gave you a disclaimer of : "You will need your glasses or contacts if you have less than perfect vision".

When you purchased your TV, or your computer, did anyone let you know that you will need your glasses to view them correctly? I couldn't read a book without my glasses, but I don't think it's up to the publisher to remind me of this.
I due respect, there is a difference between watching TV and using FPV goggles. Yes, I do believe that DJI should have post scripted something because it would save a lot of owners of DJI goggles a lot of time trying to figure out if it is the goggles or their eyes.

So, I need my reading glasses, can I use them inside the DJI Goggles comfortably?
Absolutely, but if I can suggest, make sure you have the correct magnification. I only use reading glasses. They are 2 X. They are not strong enough to use with my DJI goggles. I experimented and ended up having to use 4.5 X with my goggles. Only issue is trying to see properly when I flip my goggles up to see my iPhone 6S. I then have to use my 2 X reading glasses. It is a bit of a pain, however, let me tell you that if you have tried to fly your drone using a IOS or Android device out in the sunlight, it is close to impossible. Sunshades don't work at all, nor do anti glare covers for you device. When you use the goggles, the experience is awesome once you become knowledgeable in the use of the touch screen.

Absolutely, but if I can suggest, make sure you have the correct magnification. I only use reading glasses. They are 2 X. They are not strong enough to use with my DJI goggles. I experimented and ended up having to use 4.5 X with my goggles. Only issue is trying to see properly when I flip my goggles up to see my iPhone 6S. I then have to use my 2 X reading glasses. It is a bit of a pain, however, let me tell you that if you have tried to fly your drone using a IOS or Android device out in the sunlight, it is close to impossible. Sunshades don't work at all, nor do anti glare covers for you device. When you use the goggles, the experience is awesome once you become knowledgeable in the use of the touch screen.
Thank you Lone Droner.
I'm leaning toward the DJI Gogs and if I do I'll buy some stronger readers to use while flying

Its the same for me too i just ordered a few pairs with different magnification until i found which worked best. The goggles are fantastic when you have the right glasses :)

Why not to use contact lenses? I think they can solve this issue. I read a similar topic on this forum, where guys are using lenses and this solves lots of issues. Here is the thread DJI Goggles and Reading Glasses - AEROMOTUS
In order to see that close the glasses have to be pretty strong. You have to focus 8" in front of your eyes. If you had contacts on that strong, you probably wouldn't see anything else.

Why not to use contact lenses? I think they can solve this issue. I read a similar topic on this forum, where guys are using lenses and this solves lots of issues. Here is the thread DJI Goggles and Reading Glasses - AEROMOTUS

I have a better idea. Why doesn't DJI make a better product?
No two people's eyes are identical.
Even the $10 VR goggles from Odd Lots have both fwd/back and dioptic adjustments,
yet a $500 pair can't?
People have vision problems from 8 to 80 yrs old, at this price they should have these adjustments.

After I bought mine I was advised to buy stronger glasses, and now get contact lenses?

I used my DJI Goggles one day and sent them back. Bought some cheapies and they work just fine even WITHOUT my glasses because of the optical adjustments.
JMHO
JB

Last edited:
I have a better idea. Why doesn't DJI make a better product?
No two people's eyes are identical.
Even the $10 VR goggles from Odd Lots have both fwd/back and dioptic adjustments,
yet a $500 pair can't?
People have vision problems from 8 to 80 yrs old, at this price they should have these adjustments.

After I bought mine I was advised to buy stronger glasses, and now get contact lenses?

I used my DJI Goggles one day and sent them back. Bought some cheapies and they work just fine even WITHOUT my glasses because of the optical adjustments.
JMHO
JB

Maybe you are right, I don't insist. I wear contact lenses and for me it is not a problem. Everyone is free to choose the drone or googles that comply with their demands. But DJI produces really high-quality drones and it is difficult not to agree with this.

Maybe you are right, I don't insist. I wear contact lenses and for me it is not a problem. Everyone is free to choose the drone or googles that comply with their demands. But DJI produces really high-quality drones and it is difficult not to agree with this.
Oh I certainly agree that their drones are excellent. I have the Phantom 3 Pro and the Mavic Pro. Both are outstanding. For that matter, even their Goggles are amazing with their resolution, their intuitive touchpad controls, etc. I just don't think they thought out the design well enough to allow for reasonable use by anyone with less than excellent vision. Even $20 goggles from Walmart can do that my friend. We're only talking about one inch fwd/back control of the screen assembly here.
JB

I'm using the focus-fixers on mine and I have a perfectly in focus screen. That's ok for my use, but if I want to pass then to a friend unless their eyesight is close to mine the screen will be blurry. The lack of adjustment and no fan was a serious error on DJI's part. I don't know why they chose to have the focal distance so close. On my PS4 VR the focal distance is feet away and I can wear my normal glasses and see perfectly. I still like them and plan on keeping them. They have the best screen you can get

So, how many of you out there did all your homework, watched all the DJI info on the new goggles and then watched all the reviews - only to find out after much digging around, unless you have perfect eyesight, you will need some type of reading glasses in order to see the video image on the goggles clear and in relative focus?

Seems like DJI did not want anyone to know that little fact.
I have problems with eye fatigue and with a perception of a sharp blue color and dry eye syndrome. Tell me, the glasses you are discussing can help solve these problems?

About the producers. You can not even imagine how often buyers try to fool. I worked for a short time on one company for the sale of a certain product (I prefer not to call it). "Especially erroneous" can indicate a lot of facts about the product, not to mention the validity of its specific functions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002