DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles with Mavic 2 Pro

SilviaS13

Reactions
I currently have the white DJI goggles. I enjoyed using the head tracking feature while flying my Mavic Pro but always noticed some lag and delay when looking around. Will I see any improvements on signal strength and the head tracking lag when using it with the new Mavic 2 Pro? Is it even worth it to upgrade to the racing edition goggles?

1) The video resolution on my Mavic 2 always changes from 4k to 1080p when I turn on the Goggles. It is very annoying and impossible to change back from within the Goggles (DLOG color is not available).
2) Latency is awful (compared to Oculus Rift), the unit is unfit for racing and dangerous/nauseating for FPV flight. 720p/60fps mode is not available despite being advertised.
3) Except the haircross that often disappears, no indication where the gimbal is pointing in head tracking mode.
4) Only two intelligent modes (Tap and Follow) are in the Shortcuts menu and even they DON'T WORK (nothing happens when I choose them). The manual is very brief and vague about that. I need access to all intelligent modes of Mavic 2 to make use of these Goggles. I also need exposure chart and/or zebra lines inside the Goggles.
5) Flying beyond 300m causes telemetry loss and/or other bugs: I could not return from head tracking mode to full screen, start/stop video recording, navigate any menu without turning the unit off and on again (resets the video resolution and is not safe).

Last edited:
I haven't managed to get my goggles RE to sync with Mavic 2 yet. Sounds like I'm not going to be impressed once I get past this issue. Thanks for the detailed response. How easily did you get your money back?
Russ

I had a problem to authorize the device first to update its firmware. It was connecting to USB only once after a PC shutdown and fresh restart. Still in the process to get the refund, UPS arrives to them on Tuesday. As I bought Mavic 2 Pro + Goggles RE combo, they will need to solve a math problem of what they owe me. I did not save a screen of Mavic 2 Pro stand-alone before they raised the price. Does anyone here have it?

Edit: Actually, I think for Spain the price stayed the same 1.449 € (combo 1.948), so the refund due is 499€...

Last edited:
I tried the RE goggles with my Mavic 2 Zoom. The connection works fine. In the goggles' link menu you have to select the Mavic 2, otherwise the connection will not work. I found flying FPV with the goggles works fine, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Maybe other goggles would work better. I didn't know about the 1920x1080 problem, but it explains why my footage from today ended up being 1920x1080. Still, I found flying around the mountains with the goggles an amazing experience. I am not planning on going racing, but I did not feel nauseated or see a risk to my flight operations.

Reactions: MikeMauk
The video resolution can be changed in go 4 app while the goggles are connected and set to the live mode of your choice. All modes work fine. Just don’t change the live view mode or it will stop recording and reset the video recording mode.

I tried the RE goggles with my Mavic 2 Zoom. The connection works fine. In the goggles' link menu you have to select the Mavic 2, otherwise the connection will not work. I found flying FPV with the goggles works fine, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Maybe other goggles would work better. I didn't know about the 1920x1080 problem, but it explains why my footage from today ended up being 1920x1080. Still, I found flying around the mountains with the goggles an amazing experience. I am not planning on going racing, but I did not feel nauseated or see a risk to my flight operations.
Please answer this question for me with whatever advice/information you can offer.

I just got the Racing Edition goggles, updated the firmware and tried them out briefly a couple of times with my Mavic 2 Zoom. Comparing it to flying with my iPad Pro 10.5", I noticed that the range was much, much shorter. With my iPad, I could fly my drone hundreds of meters with no lag or problems. However, both of the times I flew with my goggles (with an iPhone 7+ attached to my remote controller), I could only fly about 100 meters (along the same course in the same conditions) before the display in the goggles went to black and white and began to freeze. At that point, my iPhone was similarly affected. Both times I had to fly my Zoom back toward me, which reestablished a decent connection. Is this to be expected? It doesn't seem like anyone would want these goggles if the range is so short with them.

I strongly suspect I'm doing something wrong. In the only video I could find showing someone using their goggles with a Mavic 2, they did not have one of the antennas screwed into the goggles. From what I've read, the goggle antennas are not meant for use with the Mavics. Am I right about that? What else could account for these problems I'm experiencing at such short distances?

Many people reported shorter range. Both Goggles and the remote connect to Mavic, so looks like an interference.
Wow. And you think that reduced range could result in a shift from hundreds and hundreds of meters to just 100 or so meters? That is appalling. I'm not supposed to be using those antennas, right?

I found no difference with or without antenna. I also had not experienced such a shortened range, I flew upto 2km over sea. Over a built up area I get poor connection warnings from remote + phone, without goggles, as I returned them.

I found no difference with or without antenna. I also had not experienced such a shortened range, I flew upto 2km over sea. Over a built up area I get poor connection warnings from remote + phone, without goggles, as I returned them.
I'm not sure I followed what you're saying here. Are you saying you did experience shortened range using the goggles?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes