DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles - Worth the money or not!

What are you planning on doing with them? What exactly is making you have second thoughts about them?

I want to improve my experience flying the Mavic Pro and I am hoping it will help me to make better video’s when flying over the countryside.
I am worried they give me an headache or if I will struggle to fly the drone with the Goggles on.

I bought the goggles specifically so I could have a superior and precise view of what the camera was seeing. There is nothing 'comfortable' about it at all. :) The experience is very fun, and I am able to get exactly the shots I am looking for far more easily than with a crappy little phone using a crappy little app.

I'm going to estimate that it took me half a dozen flights before the experience was no longer sickening and terrifying. Now it is simply wonderful.

Reactions: Robbyg and dewster
Still waiting for my MPP to arrive. But I did fly 3 batteries on a friend’s Mavic. For me they are very sharp (I’m near sighted). I have watched a few movies on them from my iPad.

No visual comfort issues, but I do fly racing drones.

Reactions: Johnnyaibo
Goggles give you the feeling of being right there, flying yourself. They make flying truly breathtaking - especially when flying low and fast. With Goggles, my mouth is always open in awe, and my heart is beating like crazy. Flying by looking at a tablet screen is "meh" in comparison. For $400, it's a steal!!!

Made me motion sick last 2 times using them but I was flying low and fast and I’m in my 50s. I’m on the fence about keeping them. Had to get special prescription glasses to use them. I usually wear progressive prescription glasses. Plus they really don’t fit my face correctly. Air gap on sides plus I had to remove the top foam padding so they would sit lower on my face.
Guess I’m I freak head wise so just ignore this [emoji23]
Think they are the best thing on a bright sunny day.
That part I like.

Reactions: butterflyslicer
I’ve just noticed the Race Edition DJI Goggles will be coming out soon so I think I will keep reading up on the DJI Goggles but I appreciate all your replies/help.
The DJI Goggles Racing Edition is now available here. Unless you're willing to pay more for the new color or extra bit of comfort DJI said they added, the DJI Goggles (original edition) is the better buy.

I am hoping it will help me to make better video’s when flying over the countryside.
I can tell you they make it easier to see what you're filming -- since the small details are harder to see when looking at a phone/tablet. Will more detail help you make better videos? That's for you to decide.

or if I will struggle to fly the drone with the Goggles on
Taking off and landing with them could be a bit sketchy since you can only see what's ahead of the Mavic. I always flip the goggles up so I can see my Mavic. It might not also be such a great idea to try to use them in locations where there are lots of obstacles.

Reactions: mavicproflyer
Taking off and landing with them could be a bit sketchy since you can only see what's ahead of the Mavic.
As long as the wind is mild, we can trust the GPS to deliver a take-off that goes straight up. For landing, I trust the gimbal to point the camera perfectly downward, and then bring it straight down like a boss.

I am considering buying some DJI Goggles but reading about other people’s experiences with the Goggles on the forum I am having second thoughts...
If you own the DJI Goggles yourself could you say in a few words if you would recommend them or not...
I really want to like them since I dropped like $500 but the reality for me is :No they steam up too quickly. They are too heavy.

Reactions: mavicproflyer
Thanks for all the replies, i think after reading about the DJI race edition Goggles which are coming out I will buy some of these and hope I like them, there seems to be mixed opinions on the DJI Goggles but I think if you do have some you should give yourself time to get use to them.
I’ve not seen the DJI race edition Goggles for sale in the UK yet, does anybody know when they will be available.

Thanks, sorry i was mistaken as it was saying US dollars rather then UK pound but I changed the currency in the settings. I think I will get some ordered in the morning. Thanks again.

Danny I’ve read this about the Goggles but I’m not sure about the approx range when they drop to 720P resolution in open space with no interference:

‘The resolution of video transmission footage reaches 1080p/30fps for near field, lowering to 720p/30fps for far field or when affected by interference.’

The signal will drop off completely at some point, but maybe someone whom has the Goggles can pass on their knowledge.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2