DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Googles for VR? And VR Googles for Mavic?

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
Hey guys, bit of a strange set of questions. (Question 7 might be the most intriguing, so if TL;DR at least look at that one).

(If
anyone here had DJI FPV V2 goggles, and or VR goggles and a VR capable PC, feel free to test Questions 3-7. :) )

1. The original DJI goggles could use head inputs to move the gimbal, so you could "look to compose". Is that still a thing with the V1/V2's?

2. It looks like the V2 goggles only support the DJI FPV (And their FPV transmission system). Still no word n the Air 2S, and Mavic 3/Cine yet? (It would be beyond crazy to me if they didn't support them at some point).

3. The original Goggles (DJI Goggles: Perfect for Immersive FPV, Movies, and Gaming! - DJI Guides ) were positioned as being good for movies. Is that still a thing with the new V2 googles.

(If so,
they keep it quiet, and make it really hard:
).

4. They were also supposedly usable for "gaming" (often shown alongside a PS4, which DID support VR via PSVR, w
hereas Xbox/Nintendo didn't have VR, and PC had lots of other better options.

I could be wrong, but I think it was just a HDMI link to the goggles, and the advantage was "Big screen viewing". It didn't have "controllers" to interact with objects. But on the old goggles, did the head tracking from the "look to compose" work in games too? (And could it be made to work on the V2's?)

If so:
- Could it be used for a flight simulator / driving game or something at least? (Controlling via HOTAS/Stick, or Racing setup?)
- Can you watch VR content? (For example... certain reputable websites make content for people in actual VR... ;) )

5. Out of the box, maybe it can't do these things in a game (MSFS, XPlane, DCS for example). But is there a hack so that I could own DJI Goggles (the V2's in the FPV I am considering), but use a head mounted tracker (Which do exist) and view content and games in "hacked VR?"

6. For Content (and games) with the V2 Googles:
- How's the quality, and immersion compared to a good 4K HDR TV? (Can you see the pixels? Are colours, brightness and HDR quality good, (and refresh rate in games 60Fps ore better)? Or is a 4K TV just a better experience?
- Will I go blind from eye strain after extended use? And its it worth it? ;)

7. And all of that made me wonder... is there any reason I couldn't use HDMI to connect to a Pro Remote and use VR Goggles (Oculus etc) to fly using a Mavic drone just for a more immersive flight? (You'd just access menu's as normal, and lift the headset for a moment if needed).

So long as you could "fly by feel" with the remote it would make outdoor use in bright sun easier and more immersive, right? (Hopefully there'd be a toggle for a clean feed or a mirrored screen option, but either would be ok.)

8. If this works, what features would be missing vs actual DJI goggles? No "look to compose", no Ocusync, no menu access, but what else?

2. It looks like the V2 goggles only support the DJI FPV (And their FPV transmission system). Still no word n the Air 2S, and Mavic 3/Cine yet? (It would be beyond crazy to me if they didn't support them at some point).
What you write there in the end is just wishful thinking I'm afraid ...

It's pretty clear that DJI isn't a company that strives to have a good backwards compatibility ... instead they gladly drops systems without shading a single tear towards those customers that have invested & move on towards other solutions. Their whole fleet consists of a messy patchwork when it comes to different Occusync variants with very little thought about compatibility.

Check this out regarding the Occusync development ...

3. The original Goggles (DJI Goggles: Perfect for Immersive FPV, Movies, and Gaming! - DJI Guides ) were positioned as being good for movies. Is that still a thing with the new V2 googles.
The DJI FPV system when it came out with the V1 FPV goggles was only intended for FPV use together with the Air unit, which was & is groundbreaking when it comes to low latency & FPV picture quality compared to the analog system ... but movie consumption through the goggles have never been included in the offering. All this continued when the DJI FPV drone arrived with the V2 goggles ... no changes or development what so ever regarding use with the DJI Air units ... all was about getting them to fit the DJI FPV drone with it's 2,4GHz possibility & it's separate user interface. And again DJI did this without caring about the previous customers of the DJI FPV system ... they simply merged both user interfaces into one firmware which made a completely mess of the activation process for customers using the goggles V2 standalone with Air unit equipped quads.

So no, neither the V1 or V2 have never been intended to be used to watch movies.

4. They were also supposedly usable for "gaming" (often shown alongside a PS4, which DID support VR via PSVR, whereas Xbox/Nintendo didn't have VR, and PC had lots of other better options.

I could be wrong, but I think it was just a HDMI link to the goggles, and the advantage was "Big screen viewing". It didn't have "controllers" to interact with objects. But on the old goggles, did the head tracking from the "look to compose" work in games too? (And could it be made to work on the V2's?)
5. Out of the box, maybe it can't do these things in a game (MSFS, XPlane, DCS for example). But is there a hack so that I could own DJI Goggles (the V2's in the FPV I am considering), but use a head mounted tracker (Which do exist) and view content and games in "hacked VR?"
Both the V1 & V2 have HDMI in ... that's it. No user interface to support the use of a signal coming in weather it's from a game, a movie, a SC or anything else ... if that's fine by you, yeah go for it, but it's a very expensive solution for a very small benefit.

If you're a tinker & can live with a patchwork of cables, separate batteries, connection boxes, dedicated modules & get the sw to play along ... maybe, maybe. But again, it will be a very costly solution more in line with a "proof of concept" hardly ever convenient to the user.

6. For Content (and games) with the V2 Googles:
- How's the quality, and immersion compared to a good 4K HDR TV? (Can you see the pixels? Are colours, brightness and HDR quality good, (and refresh rate in games 60Fps ore better)? Or is a 4K TV just a better experience?
- Will I go blind from eye strain after extended use? And its it worth it? ;)
It's not even in the same ballpark as a 4K HDR TV ... as said, the FPV goggles have never been intended for media consumption.

Slup, thanks again for amazingly interesting info, the video is great.
Please can you advise on using the v2 goggles with the air 2s. It seems they should be compatible.(o3). I contacted dji support and received 2 different answers. The first says they worked on different systems and could never be compatible.
The second avoided the question and just told me to keep watching the forums and website.
I have white goggles also, but it seems you need a smart controller or controller with an hdmi output, which the rcn1 doesn't have .

What can you inform about this situation?
Thanks again for your incredible insight and knowledge, regards

What can you inform about this situation?
Nothing really, that's the usual DJI answer. Might or might not ever happen, and if it does you won't know until it's there. Don't expect anything to plan with.

The Goggles v2 technically have a way to receive a video feed but it's not a documented/official feature for others to use and nobody's found out how it works / made a hack for it AFAIK. Even if there was it'd still be a simple 2D "big screen" albeit a pretty decent one, but not stereo/VR in any way.

...Please can you advise on using the v2 goggles with the air 2s. It seems they should be compatible.(o3). I contacted dji support and received 2 different answers. The first says they worked on different systems and could never be compatible.
Look at the clip again ... the FPV googles isn't compatible (...even though they & the Air 2s are labeled O3). It exists way to many variants with different chipsets & where the video processing occurs ... even though they are sloppy named O3 & by that implying compatibility.

The goggles have HDMI input making it possible to get a picture up ... but that's it, no user interface to control anything regarding the incoming signal, no head tracking functionality, no replicated functionality from the DJI Fly app ... nothing.

My guess is that the first support answer you got will be what we see going forward.

Reactions: Bebopperoo
I'm actually making this DJI VR FPV app, for Quest 1, 2, Pro.
Not just FPV capabilities, but actual 3D VR controls, hand controller support for the Quest devices, 3D maps inside a VR engine, and much more.
Ping me if you're interested!

I'm actually making this DJI VR FPV app, for Quest 1, 2, Pro.
Not just FPV capabilities, but actual 3D VR controls, hand controller support for the Quest devices, 3D maps inside a VR engine, and much more.
Ping me if you're interested!
That sounds awesome! I'm currently weighing buying some old DJI goggles on FB marketplace to use with my Air 1, but I'd love to spend that money on something that would be useful for other things as well

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest