DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Bundle now sold at Costco

I think that is merely a recommendation. It doesn't mention an Ipad mini4 does it? That ideally is the way to go.
More of a compatibility assurance for iPhone owners, than a recommendation per se. Mini 4 is indeed the optimal size that still fits in the Mavic Pro controller grips without an adapter.

Reactions: Safet4u
More of a compatibility assurance for iPhone owners, than a recommendation per se. Mini 4 is indeed the optimal size that still fits in the Mavic Pro controller grips without an adapter.

Yeah, I was a diehard Android user, but for flying with the Mavic I bought a refurbed 128gb mini4 thru GameStop.com. Never had 1 app crash yet (knock on wood) in 4 months of use. My Nvidia shield and Samsung Galaxy note4 had crashes all the time.

Reactions: Brojon
I also can see no use in my life for a car charger. Both of my vehicles have 110V inverters, so the wall charger will work when traveling. Spare props and spare batteries are the important parts for me. I can probably save enough to pay for some ND filters (Also a "must have" for me.) I'll order a 4 or 5 way charger from Amazon probably.
Those 110v inverters are likely the cheapie square wave versions - not the best thing to feed a switching power supply (or any other electronics) which is what charges the Mavic batteries. You can get "professional" sine wave inverters but they're pricey.
As a person with extensive training in electronics I wouldn't use them - but if you feel comfortable with them...

I just bought the Costco Mavic Pro package. Seemed like a good way for a Newbie to go. However, when looking at the box inside, I see printed: "Made for iPhone" and a list of 6 iPhones. Nothing on the outside of the package box mentions that it is limited to iPhones.
Does this mean it will only work with the iPhones specified?
Thanks for your help!
Pay careful attention to the supported phones - my Samsung S7 Edge was removed from teh supported phones list.
All I know is I had the app crash at least once every singe outing. I tried my 2 Samsung tablets and same thing.
Finally got fed up and swapped my S7 for an iPhone 6S+ - not one single issue since.
Seems to work a lot smoother too with less lagginess.

Reactions: frankiez
Thank you for that info! I just checked it out, and it gets great reviews. Sounds like the way to go. Thanks, again!

blah blah blah...
I'm the most unlucky person on the entire planet then! I have all sorts of problems with Jello Effect, strange curved prop shadows in the top of the image, etc., if I don't use an ND filter (and the RIGHT one for that matter), when shooting in bright sunlight.

When I do use the correct filter, these problems all go away. Further, my weird Mavic with it's unusual only-I-am-cursed-with-it bizzaro camera also seems to benefit from polarized filters too, bringing out much deeper greens and blues when oriented correctly. Weird, huh?

Or maybe its me -- I'm hallucinating. That must be it. :rolleyes:

Or do others here see obnoxious distortions like that too, and ND filters mysteriously fix these problems for them too, despite the fact we've been assured by @GadgetGuy it's just a scam?

ND filters have their place, but are only truly needed by a very small minority, and only in limited circumstances for shooting in bright sunlight. The best lighting is during the golden hours, where the shutter speeds are close to cinematic anyway.
This has got to be one of the most ignorant and narrow-minded things I've ever seen posted here.

The truth is, the vast majority of video shot by Mavic (and Phantom) pilots is in bright sunlight. Not all of it -- of course. The majority of it.

Finally, (this is where the narrow-mindedness comes in) quite often choosing the TOD to shoot is not an option.

The assumption is that it is not only apparent, but actually desired. For anyone extracting stills out of their video, the resulting slower shutter speed would turn any extracted stills from the video into a blurry mush!
ND filters aren't really necessary for stills (polarizers, yes).

But then, stills are really the reason they're used, and marketed. I've never seen a filter manufacturer make big about the stills shot with their ND filters. It's always about jello, and natural motion blur. Both of which are absolutely legitimate and real issues for video.

This has got to be one of the most ignorant and narrow-minded things I've ever seen posted here.

The truth is, the vast majority of video shot by Mavic (and Phantom) pilots is in bright sunlight. Not all of it -- of course. The majority of it.

Finally, (this is where the narrow-mindedness comes in) quite often choosing the TOD to shoot is not an option.
Yeah, all those ignorant professional photographers who take their landscape photographs during the golden hours really need to take a lesson from your infinite wisdom, since you are so very wise! :rolleyes:

I'm the most unlucky person on the entire planet then! I have all sorts of problems with Jello Effect, strange curved prop shadows in the top of the image, etc., if I don't use an ND filter (and the RIGHT one for that matter), when shooting in bright sunlight.

When I do use the correct filter, these problems all go away. Further, my weird Mavic with it's unusual only-I-am-cursed-with-it bizzaro camera also seems to benefit from polarized filters too, bringing out much deeper greens and blues when oriented correctly. Weird, huh?

Or maybe its me -- I'm hallucinating. That must be it. :rolleyes:

Or do others here see obnoxious distortions like that too, and ND filters mysteriously fix these problems for them too, despite the fact we've been assured by @GadgetGuy it's just a scam?
Maybe, just maybe, if you didn't insist upon shooting in bright sunlight, you wouldn't have all of these "problems" that you are creating for yourself, by not shooting landscapes with during the golden hours for photography! But heh, you are far wiser! :rolleyes:

The best lighting is during the golden hours, where the shutter speeds are close to cinematic anyway.

Good luck with that. Golden hour shutter speeds typically 1/500th or above on the mavic around here until the sun has set. Maybe your statement is true for high latitudes but certainly isnt the case for lower ones.

A graduated ND filter is what is really needed.:cool:

So a ND grad thats going to be impossible to set the correct horizon location? It's right up there with pointless drone CPLs.
Good luck trying to set a tiny tiny filter up on a tiny screen. As long as you arent burning anything out just do it in post.

I agree a lot of people have no idea what an ND does and ive read lots of nonsense about them helping exposure or stopping highlights burning but they do have a very real use for video provided you know what they actually do and when not to use them.

Good luck with that. Golden hour shutter speeds typically 1/500th or above on the mavic around here until the sun has set. Maybe your statement is true for high latitudes but certainly isnt the case for lower ones.

So a ND grad thats going to be impossible to set the correct horizon location? It's right up there with pointless drone CPLs.
Good luck trying to set a tiny tiny filter up on a tiny screen. As long as you arent burning anything out just do it in post.

I agree a lot of people have no idea what an ND does and ive read lots of nonsense about them helping exposure or stopping highlights burning but they do have a very real use for video provided you know what they actually do and when not to use them.
Our golden hour often comes with a marine layer that perfectly reduces the ambient light without any ND. On the otherhand, the ND grad I referred to and use for every flight goes from top to the middle. Unless you are flying upside down (not recommended!) the sky is always at the top of the frame, and any reduction in the dynamic range of the scene always benefits the small sensor, so you can better tweak the video in post. :cool:

Handy if you keep the horizon in the middle. Not so handy if you tilt the camera or want to get shots that arent nice straight horizons.
I need an ND8 here until after the sun has set to keep any sort of sensible video shutter speed. That includes ground exposure or sky and ocean. Its simply too bright until long after the golden hour to use anything other than a full ND.

Handy if you keep the horizon in the middle. Not so handy if you tilt the camera or want to get shots that arent nice straight horizons.
I need an ND8 here until after the sun has set to keep any sort of sensible video shutter speed. That includes ground exposure or sky and ocean. Its simply too bright until long after the golden hour to use anything other than a full ND.
Haven't yet seen a problem with a two stop GND4, starting at the top of the frame and ending across the middle. Probably because my horizon line is nearly always at the very top of the frame, just barely visible, I would prefer a 3 stop GND8, but they don't make one. I start flying 30 minutes before sunset, and often have a helpful marine layer to add those extra stops you require.:cool:

There's a lot of interest at Costcoon the Mavic combo. I image it will be a nice Christmas season for DJI.

This is a little late, but I wanted to say a big "Thank You" to all who helped me figure this out. I got an Ipad Mini 4, and it works perfectly with the stock grips. Got a few additional things after watching assorted videos, but this Newbie is having a blast. So...
Thanks! and Happy Flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird