DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI MAVIC PRO STUCK IN NFZ AND WONT RTH?

djbay

Reactions
Hi fellow Mavic users,
Today I went to have a flight at the mountain near my house in Yiwu, China. I took off and went for about 500m away from Take off location and then suddenly the NFZ warning appear, I then quickly press RTH, however otw back home my mavic got stuck in the middle during the route back (It will just hover and wont move) and the controller state NFZ and I can move my mavic just only up and down in height. My Mavic hover at the same spot since the battery was 55% until about 20% and the mavic wanted to emerygency land right there in the middle of the jungle. I try to stop landing (and since it cant land because it not flat ground.) until the battery was about 10% left and suddenly i got back the control and quicky flew back to home. It was a shocking and devastating experience I wonder do u guys have any advice in this kind of situation. Im pretty new to drone this is my second time to fly so if u guys have any advice feel free to share.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Wow and welcome to the forum djbay .
That's wild , how far did you have to go before you got to your homepoint ?

Reactions: flyboy
Hi dirkclod,
Thank for the reply. It was about 300m away from the home point. But since i was flying it back manually so it actually was pretty fast.
Do u have any recommend action if something like this happen in the future? To be honest i was about to give up and accept that i would be left with a controller and a 3 months debt, but thank god I didnt lose it.

It was a shocking and devastating experience
Shocking, yes. Devastating? Nope -- you got your Mavic back!!! ThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayup

Is the NFZ visible on any maps you use in your area? That would be my first suggestion to check to avoid this in the future.

As far as the "hover in place" for NFZs... I don't know why the geofencing works like that. You would think you would just hit an invisible wall like when you manually limit your distance.

I played with the only NFZ I have here and that's what what mine did .
It just stoped when it hit it , I could go like around it or back up .
This was at our little prison and was just testing but when I tried to spin up in the circle no go. Moved to the outside of it and was no problem till I flew to the circle . How he was in the circle has me puzzled .
If that's what happened or how he flew into the circle .

Probably didn’t have gps set before flying in nfz and then it kicked in and wouldn’t let him out. Maybe?

No telling , have never heard of this happening before .
Strange for sure but glad he was able to get back with only
10% as I have been there and if ya panic fighting it trying to
auto land with 900' to go at 1% it just drops . He was lucky .

if u guys have any advice feel free to share.
Well, I ripped all that junk out of my setup....... but that's just me.
It stinks; I hope you can find a workaround and my sympathies for having to deal with it in that environment.
Can you see the DJI-defined edges of the NFZ and do they match up with reality on the ground?

Thanks for the reply guys!
@dirkclod Thanks for the link I will check it out. Yes it also puzzle me too since at first it seem ok to RTH but halfway back it just stuck. Do you know any app I can check for NFZ? seem like the map in DJI app didnt show that it just show the red arrow and plain white just seem like it wasnt load completely. Yes i felt so lucky and it just make me scare to fly anymore (If it not open area) since i just got my mavic for 2 days and almost lose it!
@flyguy yes i dont even know what that word mean it just my feeling at the particular moment so sorry for if i misuse it LOL.
@flightmike I belived GPS was on i have about 15 signal (If that what u mean) when i fly. If not u can educate me if there were any setting I didnt use?

Hi PT_Mavic,
What do u mean by junk? The remote control State NFZ. Is that answer ur question?
Im a little confuse with your question. but thanks for reply, I appreciate it.

@flyguy yes i dont even know what that word mean it just my feeling at the particular moment so sorry for if i misuse it LOL.
HA! I'm just having fun.. I do know "that" feeling though when things start going haywire. It isn't pleasant. So glad you got your Mavic back! Welcome to the family.

Hi PT_Mavic,
What do u mean by junk? The remote control State NFZ. Is that answer ur question?
Im a little confuse with your question. but thanks for reply, I appreciate it.
What I meant was that I'm responsible for checking out actual, real NFZs where I'm planning to fly, am aware of them and have removed DJI's control over whether my drone can fly or not - because very often DJI is dead wrong about NFZ designations (there's a lot of junk in their database, and ill-defined boundaries that don't match reality) and in the USA nobody has designated them the Drone Police. No other drone manufacturer is arrogant enough to assert that capability.

I got my pilot's license long ago and am happy to help ensure we all safely share airspace, but I don't need the "help" of people thousands of miles away who have been proven wrong over and over.

We've had many reports of DJI products being grounded for no good reason; I had enough of that some time ago, so I fixed it.

Last edited:
He's saying he hacked his firmware and that's something we do not
discuss here and it stops here .
PT-Mavic you should know better than bring that up in this .
And It Stops with this post .

Reactions: Peter Barnes
Wow. Second flight and you managed to stay calm enough to bring it back at 10% over a jungle. Well done!!

Surprised the controller didn't tell you that you were near a NFZ. I flew near one and that message comes up on the RC in big letters.

Reactions: PT_Mavic
I am just happy to know that the NFZ thing works.
I wouldnt want to be flying in one accidentally, or just acting like I can do whatever I want.....

... and I can move my mavic just only up and down in height...
Just curious, did you cancel RTH? Because during RTH, you can only move the Mavic up and down, you can't direct it to move left or right.

Edit: If you did switch to Sport mode, RTH was automatically cancelled.

Reactions: lenzwizard
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus