DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI MINI 2/AIR2/AIR2S "TAKE OFF" for function button please...

Peshoa

Reactions
I hope someone from DJI is reading the posts here. Please, think about the ability to assign "TAKE OFF" function to the function button. Many of the pilots uses hand launch and it could be really better if we can do it with one button. Actually, any others trade mark drones have this kind of button on their remote controls, why DJI ignore this convenience?

Last edited:
I hope someone from DJI is reading the posts here....
Unfortunately they most probably don't, this forum have no connections with DJI ... They have their own forum, head over there if you want to have your voice heard by them.

Reactions: Peshoa
I hope someone from DJI is reading the posts here. Please, think about the ability to assign "TAKE OFF" function to the function button. Many of the pilots uses hand launch and it could be really better if we can do it with one button. Actually, any others trade mark drones have this kind of button on their remote controls, why DJI ignore this convenience?
While I don't think there is an answer there are some things you can do to make life easier with a hand launch.

The one thing I think is missing on the DJI controllers is a place to attach a lanyard. IMO it is an over-sight. As you point out, it is very clumsy at best to do a hand launch. But a lanyard, if nothing else. allows one hand to squeeze both sticks together to start the motors. Then a gentle push of (at least the Mini 2) in the air and it will know it has to hover until you can get both hands on the controls.

Not to get off topic too far, I think a lanyard can be extremely helpful in many instances. While there are commercial lanyard attachments made for this controller, rigging up a cheap lanyard on a Mini2/MA2 controller is pretty easy. Get a woman's thick elastic hair band (you know, the one they wear on their wrists when their hair is down so they can put it up) and a simple neck strap with a clasp on the end. Pull out the antenna, place the hair band over it entirely, bringing it close to the controller, preferably with the neck strap already attached. Then install your phone as you would with the band sticking up between the phone and the controller. I just happened to have both hair band and lanyard in the drawer.

I find that sometimes I want to do a rapid deployment. Not having to hang onto the controller with your hand it leaves both hands free to unfold your drone, turn on power, lights, etc and set the thing down. If it's raining or snowing you don't have to set it in a wet or muddy area. For one handed launch you can then, with the strap around your neck allow the controller to dangle for a moment as you hold your drone in one hand and start the motors with the other. Once the drone is hovering the controller is right there to get two hands back on.

....Actually, while writing this up I wanted to check prices on a commercial lanyard. $11 for this one. I bit. It will be here tomorrow, just in time for vacation starting Friday. $12 lanyard minus 10% coupon

I have a lanyard mount for my Air 2S. Works great.

Bought it at: Miss Chrisy Co
Looks similar to the one I bought, but less expensive (if shipping is free). While I dislike Jeff Bezos' political antics Amazon Prime has been amazing. Ordered the lanyard this morning. Will be here tomorrow with free shipping.

Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
Looks similar to the one I bought, but less expensive (if shipping is free). While I dislike Jeff Bezos' political antics Amazon Prime has been amazing. Ordered the lanyard this morning. Will be here tomorrow with free shipping.
I ordered it too, to see which one I like better. The Amazon one does come with the lanyard though.

This is the simple to do lanyard I fitted on my mini 2 controller,2 strip of gorilla tape to hold it on the back coming out to the front either side of the antenna.
I found that if you only have a 1 point fixing the controller will flip to one side but with 2 straps/cords it will hang in position

Attachments

• 20210515_125906.jpg
    20210515_125906.jpg
    794.1 KB · Views: 17
I could 3D print you one for the cost of postage?
Done 1 for myself and its looks OK.

Looks good but I see you use a mobile phone, if you were useing an 8" tablet like I do the weight of the tablet will flip over when you let go of the controller. That's why I mentioned that a 2 point fixing holds the controller steady.
My first attempt at making a lanyard was a 1 point fixing, that's how I found out it needed a 2 point fixing if useing a tablet,
1 cord/tape either side of the antenna under the tablet holds it in position.
As I said yours looks perfect for a mobile

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123