DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 2 is a fire breathing dragon

izometric

Reactions
You know how they say you really need to try in order to crash a DJI drone? Well, that's true and I have a video to prove that.

I was flying the drone in the forest. At some point I ended the forward motion and left the drone hovering next to a very small thin tree, barely visible.

I then wanted to turn the drone around and hit the yaw stick, or so I thought. But like any stupid accident caused by human error, I hit the left pan stick instead. And the drone went full speed into the top of the tree, into some very thin branches. I remember seeing this like in slow motion even though it happened in a blink of an eye. At that moment I thought the drone is a goner.

However, to my total disbelief, the drone flipped over in mid-air exactly like flipping a pancake, and it instantly stabilized itself and stopped the fall hovering.

I can only imagine the probably 1000+ calculations that the processor did in that blink of an eye, decided which rotations and which translations on all 3 space axis must be compensated for, sent the command to the motors and spun them fast enough to stop the fall.

I landed the drone and to my surprise there was absolutely no damage to be seen. The drone hit the branches with the body, the propellers completely missed them.

So yes, the DJI Mini 2 is a fire breathing dragon, it may be small but it is formidable.

Edit: I tried to upload the video here but it won't work. I will come back with a different upload method.

Edit 2: Video can be accessed here:

Last edited:
You know how they say you really need to try in order to crash a DJI drone? Well, that's true and I have a video to prove that.

I was flying the drone in the forest. At some point I ended the forward motion and left the drone hovering next to a very small thin tree, barely visible.

I then wanted to turn the drone around and hit the yaw stick, or so I thought. But like any stupid accident caused by human error, I hit the left pan stick instead. And the drone went full speed into the top of the tree, into some very thin branches. I remember seeing this like in slow motion even though it happened in a blink of an eye. At that moment I thought the drone is a goner.

However, to my total disbelieve, the drone flipped over in mid air exactly like flipping a pancake, and it instantly stabilized itself and stopped the fall hovering.

I can only imagine the probably 1000+ calculations that the processor did in that blink of an eye, decided which rotations and which translations on all 3 space axis must be compensated for, sent the command to the motors and spun them fast enough to stop the fall.

I landed the drone and to my surprise there was absolutely no damage to be seen. The drone hit the branches with the body, the propellers completely missed them.

So yes, the DJI Mini 2 is a fire breathing dragon, it may be small but it is formidable.

Edit: I tried to upload the video here but it won't work. I will come back with a different upload method.
Be careful, I expect that tree will want to get even.

No more flying through the trees for me. There is no real cinematography value in this (too many people are doing it), it is far riskier than the possible return (for me at least) and the thin branches that can easily be observed in a FHD video are not so visible on an iPhone display in a bright sunny day.

Who could blame you, near death of drone events can have that effect on a person.
Luck was with you that day.

However, to my total disbelief, the drone flipped over in mid-air exactly like flipping a pancake, and it instantly stabilized itself and stopped the fall hovering.

Wow!, That's impressive. Gotta love the Mini 2.

Air2 is the same. Have hit a few small branches and waited for the proverbial drone drop / crash - when all the sudden it corrected itself and recovered quite nicely. Doesn't mean my blood pressure did not jump to 200 though.

Have the "tree" not seen issue a lot here in Western NC in winter. Even with me looking around for obstacles before flight and what "I" think is a good / safe flight path - well those small limbs do seem to show up. Not bad when moving towards them, as the sensors tend to pick them up nicely - but with no side sensors - if I'm scooting left or right for a better view of my subject - there is not alarm going off to let me know.

Also if you fly and od video in 2-4x mode - those branches do look way closer than they truly are and you have the split second OH CRAP mode hit.

I do like flying in winter due to less foliage and cover, but at same time - with no leaves and such - hard to gauge how close you truly are to the most smallest limbs hanging out there.

I had a similar incident while showing a potential new droner how to fly mine. I said, "Don't worry, you can't hurt it".... yeah, I really said that...54 years old and I still said that. Les than 10 seconds later he did exactly the opposite of what I had shown him and we had a nice account of several branches and at least 2 flips. But she kept on flying. I saw someone post not to but a Mini2 because it was a toy. I protest: it is like a little tank in the air compared to the Mini (which I still love). Those two-piece props really make a difference too. Nice video.

After an exhaustive, Zapruder-level inspection of the video, I am convinced that tree did not act alone.
Perhaps some small inconspicuous shrubs present on the grassy knoll were involved.

Reactions: DJayI

Who needs the new FPV when you can do this with a Mini!

all this just proves the point ,that drones and trees do not play well together,and most of the time the tree wins

Reactions: shaneb50
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum