DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The mini 2 is tough

Droffarc

Reactions
It all happened so fast, the oyster catcher swooped in and - it (luckily) fell into a bush (line of sight - right). I drew blood retrieving the drone but it was not even scratched - man those branches are mean to a man's calves.

And there I was, happily thinking 'luckily we don't have birds in South Africa that attack drones'. You have just proved me wrong, and I have very recently done a lot of Mini 2 flights along the West Cape coast...
I have encountered nosy birds in all the years I'm flying in SA but luckily never had a strike.

And there I was, happily thinking 'luckily we don't have birds in South Africa that attack drones'. You have just proved me wrong, and I have very recently done a lot of Mini 2 flights along the West Cape coast...
I have encountered nosy birds in all the years I'm flying in SA but luckily never had a strike.
My first strike in many years too. I have found that especially oystercarchers, in the breeding season (which is mostly all the time as far as I can tell) will definately go for a drone. They usually fly in pairs and have a specific squeeking sound.
Some parts of the year seagulls will also go for a drone.
Usually when flying and these birds fly around the drone I put into sport mode and ascend away - which naturally has the effect of spoiling the shot.
Very seldom a hawk or other type of raptor will take a mild interest.
Maybe next time I will put a "voe''lverskrikker" with a straw hat on top. You could try putting a sign saying saying "Dis mynah - los uit! " :)

• Haha
Reactions: Mynah
Great video. I can confirm all types of birds take an interest in drones. The only thing worse is a human taking an interest in your drone. : )

My question: Did you see what happened to the bird (Oyster Catcher)\
TK

Great video. I can confirm all types of birds take an interest in drones. The only thing worse is a human taking an interest in your drone. : )
I had plovers going for attack runs at my homemade drone, until one lost a few feathers to a prop :) Also small swallows like to fly circles around my drones, but not attacking.

I attach white strobes to the arms, with the theory that a bird needs to see where it's flying, and the bright strobe will be painful to look at, so it'll avoid flying at it.

Reactions: TonyPHX
You have been very lucky! I had a bird attack some time ago on my M2P with broken props as result, fortunately it could be easily be repaired by replacing the props.

I've had two bird issues in the last week flying only 50 - 60 feet high. Had a flock of crows trying to scare off my mini 3 Pro, they kept dive bombing the drone. Yesterday was filming some roof issues and a hawk was intent on taking it down. It kept circling it and dive bombing and trying to take it out with its talons. Had to take the drone down or would have lost it !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas