DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 2 New Compass

Paleomanjim

Reactions
Just curious if others on here are experiencing issues with the new attitude indicator compass after the update. Hopefully DJI gets this resolved. Happy New Year folks!

just flew with the new App update for the first time today and i found it a very good addition to the Screen display it is totally different in its actions to the original GO4 one ,in as much as instead of the drone icon arrow moving inside the circle ,the circle revolves around the arrow ,it still shows magnetic north and also the home point,and the angle of attack and bank angles work just like the ones in the GO4 did
the small blue circle that appears if you walk away from the home point is simply the orientation of your device it has no bearing on the drones orientation and that is why it is hidden under the home point yellow icon ,in my humble opinion it is a great step forwards and is very intuitive to use, its different and new

Agree that the indication of the controller antenna direction is really hard to see.

It is also unnecessary to show the home point and the controller seperately. In the GO4 APP's attitude indicator, they are assumed to be at the same location and that's true in more than 99% of the cases.

just flew with the new App update for the first time today and i found it a very good addition to the Screen display it is totally different in its actions to the original GO4 one ,in as much as instead of the drone icon arrow moving inside the circle ,the circle revolves around the arrow ,it still shows magnetic north and also the home point,and the angle of attack and bank angles work just like the ones in the GO4 did
the small blue circle that appears if you walk away from the home point is simply the orientation of your device it has no bearing on the drones orientation and that is why it is hidden under the home point yellow icon ,in my humble opinion it is a great step forwards and is very intuitive to use, its different and new
Yes, I like the new Compass as well. However, the blue icon does have a tip indicator that should point toward the drone so that the pilot can face the drone directly. I believe that is the purpose of the tip indicator on the side of the blue dot. The tip indicator does rotate around as the pilot turns around, but it is off by 90 degrees. Here is part 1 showing the N indicator as well as some concerns

The tip indicator...... is off by 90 degrees.
I am pretty sure that it's due to the compass of the phone not calibrated. The same "problem" exists for the old orientation indicator and many blamed the APP for that. I have experienced the same problem with the attitude indicator of the GO4 APP and a simple calibration of the phone's compass always fixed it.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that it's due to the compass of the phone not calibrated. The same "problem" exists for the old orientation indicator and many blamed the APP for that. I have experienced the same problem with the attitude indicator of the GO4 APP and a simple calibration of the phone's compass always fixed it.
Did recalibrate my phone compass, that is not the problem. Also, no issues before the update with the old compass, and after recalibrating my phone it still works well for with my Mavic Mini 1, so that is not likely the problem. Others are having the same issue after the update

Reactions: blackbandit
yes it is purely to do with the device as i said,and was a huge bone of contention with the old central indicator, and to be honest if you are flying in VLOS and can see your drone it is superfluous anyway ,and now with our new regs we have to keep VLOS on the drone ,not just so we can see it as a dot in the distance ,but be able to tell which way it is pointing as well and its relationship to the ground below it ,hey ho another can of worms opened again
i will agree though that it should really show the correct direction that the RC is pointing

Did recalibrate my phone compass, that is not the problem. Also, no issues before the update with the old compass, and after recalibrating my phone it still works well for with my Mavic Mini 1, so that is not likely the problem. Others are having the same issue after the update
If it is always off by 90 degrees but not other values then it's possible that it's a bug of the FLY APP. It may have something to do with the portrait / landscape orientation of the phone. E.g. the stock compass APP of my iphone 11 pro tells the direction correctly only in portrait orientation. If I turned the phone to landscape orientation, the direction reading will be off by 90 degrees. As the phone is mounted to the controller in landscape orientation, may be the FLY APP needs to do some adjustment which is missing in the new version ?

If it is always off by 90 degrees but not other values then it's possible that it's a bug of the FLY APP. It may have something to do with the portrait / landscape orientation of the phone. E.g. the stock compass APP of my iphone 11 pro tells the direction correctly only in portrait orientation. If I turned the phone to landscape orientation, the direction reading will be off by 90 degrees. As the phone is mounted to the controller in landscape orientation, may be the FLY APP needs to do some adjustment which is missing in the new version ?
I think you may be right. After comments to the video I did try holding the phone in portrait mode and it seemed closer to accurate, but still off a bit. Must be something in the Fly App bacause several others have the same issue but at least one pilot stated it worked perfect for him! I did not remove the old Fly app because I was afraid of loosing my flight data, I just uploaded the new Fly App and assume it replaced the old APP, at least there is only 1 Fly App showing on my phone. Should I remove the DJI Fly App and then re-upload the new one again? Thanks

just a sugestion, try to keep the phone in hand, not on the two bars of metal, maybe those bars affect your compass in the phone

My wife allowed me to add the DJI Fly App to her iPhone to try it out (hers is a newer model than my iPhone 6) and her compass is perfectly calibrated to true north. The blue dot indicator is off on her phone as well, exactly the same as my phone by 90 degrees and in the same direction. I then tried her phone on the Mini 1 and had to update it first and now the Mini 1 is off by 90 degrees!. Clearly something wrong with the DJI updates. Hope they get it resolved.

Just curious if others on here are experiencing issues with the new attitude indicator compass after the update. Hopefully DJI gets this resolved. Happy New Year folks!
As I watched your video I noticed something else that’s wrong your left and right attitude indicator is also the opposite of what it should be, when you tipped your drone to the left the line on your indicator tipped downward also when it should be tipping up. Am I not correct.

I’m completely up to date v01.02.0100 on AC and v1.2.2 App (iOS iPhone 10XR) the latest FW hasn’t fixed the controller orientation on the new radar (iOS), and before anyone asks my iPhone compass is spot on.

As I watched your video I noticed something else that’s wrong your left and right attitude indicator is also the opposite of what it should be, when you tipped your drone to the left the line on your indicator tipped downward also when it should be tipping up. Am I not correct.
No, my attitude indicator is working fine. It is hard to see the drone tilt in my hand in the video, I probably should have put the gimble in FPV mode so it was more obvious, thanks

I’m completely up to date v01.02.0100 on AC and v1.2.2 App (iOS iPhone 10XR) the latest FW hasn’t fixed the controller orientation on the new radar (iOS), and before anyone asks my iPhone compass is spot on.
Thanks, appreciate the input. It seems that most of the videos I have watched on Youtube that show the compass are off by 90 degrees, but a couple seem to be OK. I wonder it is only affecting the folks that use iPhones? Android phones download a different app I think and maybe those are ok?

Yes, I like the new Compass as well. However, the blue icon does have a tip indicator that should point toward the drone so that the pilot can face the drone directly. I believe that is the purpose of the tip indicator on the side of the blue dot. The tip indicator does rotate around as the pilot turns around, but it is off by 90 degrees. Here is part 1 showing the N indicator as well as some concerns
It is important to have the Blue Dot and Triangle visible at all the times rather than hidden under Home Point. It helps to point the Remote Control to the Drone and sort of have a visual reference to the location of drone. As the new attitude interface is similar to the pilot sitting in the cockpit, the Pitch and Roll indicator (2 Horizontal lines) show Pitch Horizon correctly. The Roll should also indicate Horizon and not the tilt of the drone. It is reversed now.

The accuracy of the compass is critical. Although I like the new compass, it put me in a scary situation today. When my eye lost the trace of my drone, I could not found it when I tried to use the compass assist me. I eventually had to use RTH button to regain the drone in my sight.

No, that's correct. It's showing "wing" position. If you are rolling left, the left side of your AC tips down and so does the indicator. It's an attitude indicator, not an artificial horizon.

Reactions: Howard70

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralph.smith.mckenzie@gmai